Dash Cam Power

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dash Cam Power
So i'm looking at investing in a dash cam, but I dont want a wire running all round the cabin, down to the cigarette lighter, so i was thinking of tapping into the switched live in the rain sensor (with the idea of having the camera behind the rear view mirror). If I was to cut the end off the supplied power lead, I would assume I'd have a simple live and neutral wire within, which could be spliced into (from cullys auto dimming mirror guide) pin 7 (ground), and pin 3 (ign sw +12v) on the rain sensor.

Anyone else had any experience doing similar, or can see something drastically wrong with my thinking? Just not keen on the idea of buying a camera, lopping the end off the power lead, then finding that I'm wrong. lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Should be ok, see the guide for retro fitting the auto dim mirror for wiring I would

Only thought is if theres enough supply through such a small wire
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
the dash cams plug i think convert down to 5v i opened mine up and it contains a circuit board and few other bits. You can buy a "fixed" wire cable
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 06:37 PM)Jenkosowls Wrote: the dash cams plug i think convert down to 5v i opened mine up and it contains a circuit board and few other bits. You can buy a "fixed" wire cable

Hmm...thanks for the heads up, will check the stats when the camera arrives. Might just have to stick with the cig lighter attachment for the time being if all else fails! Wink
Thanks given by:
I hard wired mine I to my E90,

Ran the wire down & under the dash, removed the cig lighter socket & piggy backed another 12v socket under the ashtray.. All removable and can keep the normal lead it comes with Smile

[Image: IMG_4587_zpsc2b6e36f.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Which one did you get Wingnutz? Let us know how good it is?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Good call Jordan, might give that a whirl actually...got a spare one of those 3 plug extension whatsits from aldi, might find somewhere to hide that. Wink

Piggy, I had a pretty strict budget, and had to find one that included a memory card, so got THIS ONE, as after a bit of a google, it seems to have some half decent reviews. Quite a few people complaining about the battery life, but I had it in my head that you should run these dash cams off the 12v power, then the battery power is for if you lose power while driving, when you switch the car off or for if you have to use it to take pics of an accident. Or something to that effect anyway.

Will keep this updated once the kit arrives and once its wired in. Smile
Thanks given by:
Tempted to get a dash cam for the work car as i come across a lot of shit driving in london (mainly wanker bus drivers!)
Anyone recommend a good cam? Not looking at spending huge amounts.
Want something compact to keep stashed at the top of the windscreen
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 08:24 PM)Niall Wrote: Tempted to get a dash cam for the work car as i come across a lot of shit driving in london (mainly wanker bus drivers!)
Anyone recommend a good cam? Not looking at spending huge amounts.
Want something compact to keep stashed at the top of the windscreen

I got a G1W for £25 & it's fantastic quality!
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 08:07 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: I hard wired mine I to my E90,

Ran the wire down & under the dash, removed the cig lighter socket & piggy backed another 12v socket under the ashtray.. All removable and can keep the normal lead it comes with Smile

Done, and done. Worked a treat Jordan, just finished wiring the new cam in after it arrived today. Can't even see it from the outside! Will report back again once i've got a couple of videos. Smile
Thanks given by:
First outing with new dash cam fitted, chose this video to upload as it has the least amount of bad singing, and varying light levels.

http://youtu.be/1kwJ_ig2hNQ

Also shows the strange interference with the sound while the engine is running, notice how clear the audio is after i pull in to the petrol station and switch the engine off. Gonna have a fiddle with some of the settings, but if all else fails, might just record minus the sound.

Not bad though for less than £30 including memory card. Wink
Thanks given by: