Peugeot 205 STDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peugeot 205 STDT
Well after a successful post in the introduction section of the forum I thought I would do a project build thread showing a bit more detail about what I have done so far Smile

Bought the car back in 2012 off a mate for a ridiculously cheap price, which I like to remind him everytime I see him Big Grin (he owed me for helping him build a Rover P4 200Tdi...but thats another story in itself! Drifting machine!!!) since then I have done several modifications to it!

Couldn't find a photo of the car before I lowered it, so here is one after fitting 40mm lowering springs to the front and a 1.9 gti rear beam:
[attachment=19078]

Kept the drum brakes on the back as I didn't have any discs or calipers to go on! Fitted group N rally bushes to the rear axle for a little extra discomfort over the bumps Confused

[attachment=19084]

[attachment=19085]

Soon got bored of the standard STDT wheels, looked a bit scruffy without the centre caps...which apparently always fall off!

So found a cheap set of 'Insert alloy wheel name here' wheels, think they were from a 206! Had nearly new tyres all round so wanted a replacement 14" wheel:
[attachment=19079]

*Note the Tdi Rover P4 in the background Big Grin

Still had the standard exhaust system so cut that off and set to work building a new one!

I was lucky enough to be working during my University placement at a test engineering company...so quickly got to work stealing their exhaust analysis software!

I used this software to help design a backbox which was free flowing whilst removing the annoying low frequency noises (Motorway cruising noises) and to my surprise it worked Big Grin

[attachment=19080]

[attachment=19081]

[attachment=19082]

[attachment=19083]

Turned out pretty sexual Smile

Had already turned up the pump by this point but due to the XUD7 not having an intercooler I was fighting a loosing battle with the intake temperatures! So went about fitting a front mount Smile

[attachment=19086]

Ended up fitting an Audi S3 intercooler by removing one of the cooling fans and remounting the other one as far to one side as possible.

[attachment=19087]

Run out of attachments in this post Sad will continue in another post...

[attachment=19088]

Also fitted a Xantia inlet manifold to channel the boosts into the engine Big Grin

Soon got bored with the standard turbo....

Had this beauty lying around as a piece of desk art Sleepy

[attachment=19089]

Is off a Land Rover Freelander 2/Ford Mondeo TDCi

VNT was electronically controlled, but due to lack of time I haven't got round to programming a microcontroller to control it yet...so for now went for a wastegate actuator with a feed from the inlet manifold

[attachment=19090]

[attachment=19091]

[attachment=19092]

[attachment=19093]

There is lots I have missed and will keep adding to this post when I find the pictures! Smile

Am currently in the process of fitting a bosch pump and injectors but having some problems with it as you probable have already seen!

More to come soon Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Awesome, 205's are just...... Awesome Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Soo much room down the back, us 306 beys are jelous
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Would have liked more room! The compressor is about 10mm from the steering UJ :S
Thanks given by:
Be nice to see how far you can push the standard xud7 engine, looks like an Awsome project!

Thanks given by:
Its not my daily driver Smile so I'm not too concerned when it inevitably does throw a rod out the block! gives me an excuse to re-build another engine Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Epic project!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Nice...think they are standard 306 alloys, meridian spec!

What turbo is that, GT15vnt?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(16-09-2014, 09:01 PM)Piggy Wrote: Nice...think they are standard 306 alloys, meridian spec!

What turbo is that, GT15vnt?

Swallows they're called.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
It was awesome to meet some of you guys (and girls) at the French Car Show this year Smile I thought I would give you an update on the progress of my 205 STDT project!

Quite a few thigs have change since my last post....the car now looks like this:

[attachment=23828]

The most obvious change is the new cyclone wheels which I fitted after upgrading the front brakes to gti-6 ones....subsequently you now go through the windscreen when wearing steel toe boots Big Grin

There is also a enormahoosive intercooler which I have cable tied to the front bumper

[attachment=23827]

Ok so i may have lied about the cable ties. I actually fired up the hot metal glue gun and stuck some pieces of metal together until this was made

[attachment=23826]

My newfangled mount positions the radiator about 3 inches closer to the engine and about 2 inches lower to the ground. This makes for plenty of room for shiney pipey bits to duct air around Big Grin I am aware that the boost pipe diameter is a little overkill but its what came with the intercooler so hey ho!

[attachment=23825]

As you can see from the photos the engine is a lot cleaner now. Oh and its now a XUD9TE

Heres what it looked like when it turned up on a pallet

[attachment=23823]

And this is it after I pressure washed it...came up quite well I think

[attachment=23824]

Ok so I may have lied again, it actually got a full strip down, clean and rebuild Smile

The turbo is still the VNT from the old engine, it will be upgraded at some point in the future but the fuel is the limiting factor at the moment.

Think I have found the limit for the 9mm pump so maybe that needs changing next...should probably wait until its got forged rods for that though...hmmm

So there it is Smile not sure what power shes putting down but its plenty for what is basically a coke can with wheels! I would say its on par (Power to weight wise) with my 1 series BMW which is putting out just over 200bhp

[attachment=23829]

Theres also a Timelapse of me working on various bits of the car here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YxxTe5D_ds

Note: the other 205 belongs to my mate Goose who is probably writing up a thread on it as I type!

Will keep you lot updated if when I turn it up to far and it goes boom!!

Oh and stay tuned for whats happening to the old engine...think Postman Pat  TMI
Thanks given by:
Looks mint! Very nice work
Thanks given by:
Somehow missed this at fcs.....looks really good mate Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Looks beautiful! Wish i had the time to make mine as pretty. Sad Some really lovely fabrication going on there, thanks for taking the time to share it.

Can't help but think there's more to come from the pump if she feels the same as your 1-series, half a ton is a big advantage in the power to weight stakes, especially considering the torque on offer from the diesel lump. 130bhp counts as a very light tune here, if that gives you an idea.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Looking good in the photos mate! I can confirm it drives well and goes like a stabbed rat. Wish it was still mine though... Doh

lol
Thanks given by:
Cant believe i missed this also! Sad

Farmyard spannering seems to be the norm for derv peugeot owners lol

Looks like a nice collection of classic tractors there also Smile anything special?
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
ANOTHER car I missed having a gander round at FCS!

I do likey very muchey
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The reason everyone missed it at FCS was because it wasn't there  Itwasntme I was hoping to take it but the fuel pump was in pieces on the bench on the Friday before the show so I had to drive the BMW instead  Dodgy which I subsequently had to hide in the middle of the show as I accidentally went in the main entrance and not the car park Rofl

A bit more information on the fuel pump:

It does seem to go fairly well but seems like its not getting enough fuel to me, absolutely no smoke out the exhaust when on boost which is no fun. Boost is currently at 22 psi which it reaches at about 1800 RPM and holds until I dare change gear...

Any more increase on the max fuel screw just makes it idle at like 2000 RPM and feel like its about go into a positive feedback loop and make the valves start dancing on the bonnet!

I have shimmed the governor and have a ground LDA pin installed, any ideas what else could be limiting it?

The pump had been stood for a while so I had to strip it down, free everything up and rebuild it to get it working. Perhaps its just a bit fooked....
Thanks given by:
I take it you've lowered the idle on the back of the pump? If so then you need to rotate the throttle shaft back a spline or two, mark the arm on top of the shaft, take the nut off, lift the arm slightly and rotate the shaft with a screwdriver and push the arm back on top and tighten nut when right, this will lower the idle unless you turned it the wrong way lol.
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Yeah Ive done that, just seems to introduce a massive delay in the throttle if I drop it back anymore splines...
Thanks given by:
A quick update on my progress recently, I have sorted out my fuel pump issues...threw away the old pump and replaced it with this:

Got my clean on and gave it an ultrasonic bath and rebuild Smile Its got an 11mm 200tdi head...now its got some proper poke!! Although havent had chance to test it properly yet as it spins in 1st through to 3rd and the clutch slips in 4th and 5th  Rofl (this was on a damp road)

Hopefully get a cg friction plate ordered up this week (have been trawling through the clutch discussions on the forum) and then I will take some videos of it in action...
Thanks given by:
Wheres the pics at admin?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  205 STDT - Restoration Poodle 147 51,040 21-09-2015, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  My STDT Project... Goose 6 2,005 21-06-2015, 09:01 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31