Diagnose shifting problems, have I damaged the transmission?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diagnose shifting problems, have I damaged the transmission?
Fitted a valeo clutch a couple of weeks ago with the help of a fellow forumite (good for stage 1/2 tune next year hopefully Big Grin).

We only had jacks which couldn't really lift the transmission far enough to slot back on so there was a lot of manhandling including lifting by the linkages although it was never dropped. Clutch itself is fine but now I sometimes have a lot of resistance putting it into first and second. It comes out of all the gears fine and it becomes easy if i go between first and second but if change into 1st or 2nd from a higher gear there is a lot of resistance. I replaced the dirty transmission fluid last weekend but the problem remains. The gear stick also sits closer to the handbrake than it used too (maybe stressed the linkages when lowering the subframe?)
Thanks given by:
I've never touched the subframe removing a gearbox. Confused

Also not lifted the box right into place with a jack, just picked it up and slid it in, not caused any issues yet. Did you reuse the linkages or get new ones? I wouldn't be surprised if you bent one on removal.
Thanks given by:
Where's the clutch bite point? If it's near the floor the clutch is probably dragging, hence struggling to engage lower gears.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
The bite point seems reasonable, it's had a new cable recently too.

I lowered the gearbox out the bottom as it didn't seem practical to lift it out the top, hence dropping the subframe. Maybe there is a knack to it but getting the gearbox to the correct orientation to slot back on took many attempts over several hours, even to the point where we removed the clutch and checked the plate would actually slot onto the splined shaft. The plate was well centred with the tool valeo chucks in.

Only replaced the drive shaft seals, didn't touch the linkages on the subframe besides pulling the connecting rods off the gearbox and reattaching them afterwards.
Thanks given by:
It comes out the bottom fine without removing the subframe...

The rods you pulled off, may've bent when you pulled them off, I bent one on a 1.4 which caused issues getting into gear. In fact I've bent most I've removed lol, just usually replaced them.
Thanks given by:
2454E6 , 245275 part numbers for the standerd parts or some ajustabul all metal

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-306-GT...4897.l4275
Thanks given by:
Why the heck did you remove the subframe!? Lol

Anyway, double check those linkages are all ok and that the ball joint the gear selector rod sits on is all A ok.

If the gears were fine before and clutch bite is good, stands to reason youve knocked something while doing the job Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
To be fair, access to remove/refit the 'box is a hell of a lot better with the subframe off, although it can obviously be done with it still fitted.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
In the time it takes to just undo the subframe bolts, you could have the box off and back on!

Plus it means resting the car on the sills which I hate doing
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The linkages weren't obviously bent when I did the transmission fluid but wasn't looking especially hard. I was going to grease the ball joints but was afraid of damaging them, they take a lot of force to remove. In fact, madmadmax removed and refitted them when we did the clutch. Probably just get some new, fancy ebay ones seem expensive.

It really didn't seem like the gearbox would come out the bottom without lowering the subframe, the dif always caught on it. Tried rotating the gearbox around to no avail. Had to move the axle stands onto the sills at that point, as I mentioned in the other thread everything that could go wrong did.
Thanks given by:
The metal ebay ones are cheaper than new OE ones, and they come pre-greased as well. Though if yours don't look bent, they're probably alright tbh.

There's a knack to getting the box through the hole, but it does go lol. Not that it makes a difference now anyway lol.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like clutch dragging.

Reset the clutch cable (i.e. take the cable off the gearbox, put it back on) and then press the clutch VERY hard a few times and release it fast... Should get the ratchet into the right position.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
You were right, adjusted the clutch cable and all shifts fine now. An easy fix for once Smile I'll try to remember to rep once I make it to 100 posts.

It must have been very slight clutch drag, there was no discernible effect on the engine when shifting into first before pulling away. The bite point was also reasonable. New clutch old car I guess.
Thanks given by:
good to hear the old beast is still going!
Thanks given by:
Cheers. Much better with those new shocks, and the rims cleaned up nicely too Smile
Thanks given by: