Hdi cooling fans

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hdi cooling fans
My cooling fans on my hdi don't seem to work when the car reaches 95degrees (haven't let it get hotter than that)

They work when the aircon is switched on. I removed the high speed relay and change over relay so only 1 fan worked until i put the relays back, so im guessing relays are fine. Checked fuse under steering wheel which is fine.

The car runs normally at around 75-80 but gets to 90-95 while stationary for about 10mins

What else can i check?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
High speed fan doesn't kick in until 97 anyway, leave it a bit longer lol. Don't think I've heard my high speed fan on at all this year, but I don't tend to sit stationary for that long without turning the engine off.
Thanks given by:
The low speed fan didn't kick in at all either.
I've never had a car that goes above halfway on the temp gauge without fans kicking in, normally just stayes at a constant temp while driving and stationary. Now its low temp while driving and rises when parked, got me worried lol
Thanks given by:
Yeah, HDi's are like that though...too efficient on the move but pretty poor stationary lol.

Mine tends to sit at about 78 while driving, regardless of how hard I'm pushing it. Then just past 90 (about 92) where the low speed fans come on in traffic, you cant hear them but the engine note changes with the extra load. Then it bounces between ~87 and ~92 constantly in traffic lol. As you say, other cars manage to keep to one temp lol. Though if you had a VAG their gauges lie anyway so you don't worry about it (but now you know that its more worrying isn't it!).
Thanks given by:
I've had mostly 90% jap cars no vags at all.
Back to the fans, mine goes to 95 with no fans coming on at all as i tried it yesterday to see if they worked at all. In the summer i was in traffic and it nearly hit 100, was nervous to say the least lol
Atleast now the weather is cooling down so won't be that big of a problem!
Thanks given by:
Oh, I don't really do Jap lol.

Hmm, if the low speed aren't coming on that does need sorting really. Have you checked the fan plug on the chassis leg? It's probably green and furry lol.
Thanks given by:
No i didnt check anything else yet. The low speed fans come on with the a/c though Confused
Thanks given by:
I have this exact issue every day on my way home from work, give a thrashing down the bypass then I'm in traffic for 20mins, it just sits there goes all the way up to nearly 100 on the guage, reading live data from the car it seems the fans kick in at 98, then the high speed comes in and drops it to around 90,but when moving it sits at 78
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Cooling fans very stiff to turn. cheapo 2 1,981 15-07-2018, 09:10 PM
Last Post: cheapo
  Fans...HDi fans... HDi slimline fans... wiring.. toseland 3 1,785 07-09-2015, 09:52 AM
Last Post: cully
  Phase 3 cooling fans Pompeymj 6 1,438 31-10-2014, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Pompeymj