[Image: ebay860673.jpg]

Alpina E3 3.0s

My jaw was dropped for a while. It was mint. A bute

There's one of those rotting in a hedge near worcester lol
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
last time I saw a BMW that shape was about 1997! was on a A plate I think.
Thanks given by:
Hi,

Anybody remember the Renault 16? Lovely car, apart from having to gas-axe the sills off to fix the rear suspension for MOT. Somewhat futuristic appearance, right up until they ceased production, then overnight it became out-dated.

OT ... if you want to register a box of bits, perhaps to import it from France, do a Google for "DVLA INF85". Provided you have a chassis number (no need for insurance or MOT) you can get a V5 with registration mark. But you cannot use it on the road. OK, it will be a Q-plate, but you can change that later, if you can establish the date of manufacture, and actually want to.

Thanks given by:
Not really an old car but rare nonetheless, just seen a Vauxhall meriva vxr. First time I've ever seen one Smile they look..wrong haha
Thanks given by:
(27-11-2014, 06:28 AM)Jonahinoz Wrote: Hi,

Anybody remember the Renault 16? Lovely car, apart from having to gas-axe the sills off to fix the rear suspension for MOT. Somewhat futuristic appearance, right up until they ceased production, then overnight it became out-dated.

OT ... if you want to register a box of bits, perhaps to import it from France, do a Google for "DVLA INF85". Provided you have a chassis number (no need for insurance or MOT) you can get a V5 with registration mark. But you cannot use it on the road. OK, it will be a Q-plate, but you can change that later, if you can establish the date of manufacture, and actually want to.

i remember those, shame the Renault 5 is practically gone from up here now.
Thanks given by:
The Renault 5 is a rare sight around here too. Had an mk1 mondeo TD and it would not die.

Seen a Fiat Uno turbo recently which is a very rare sight.
Thanks given by:
fiat uno! that's another rare one too! I haven't seen a mk1 mondeo for years!
Thanks given by:
Saw a Renault 18 diesel sat in traffic this morning, reminded me of what old diesels used to sound like, an XUD is butter-smooth in comparison!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Sound like someone dragging a bag of spanners down a cobbled street??
Thanks given by:
(28-11-2014, 02:46 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: Sound like someone dragging a bag of spanners down a cobbled street??

Hi,

In Days of Yore, cars used side valve engines (presumably cos they were cheap). Posher cars used over-head (or even OISE) cos they were more powerful. Over-head cam engines were even more powerful, but Joe Public didn't like the clatter from the valve train, so they were mainly used on racing cars.

Then they invented the notched belt cam drive, and suddenly OHC engines could be made to run quietly ... with the downside that the cam belt needed frequent and expensive belt changes. Some petrol engines might survive a broken cam belt. but I doubt that any diesels will be that lucky.

So why did they fit quiet running belts onto clanky diesels?

Thanks given by:
Timing belts are a sham in my opinion these days.
Thanks given by:
The 'everyday' car which i've not seen for the longest period (which was common when I grew up in the 90's) is..

The Fiat Tempra

Also - Mk1 Laguna was actually a decent, reliable car. Went tits up when the Mk2 came out on X-Y reg ish.

Other rare cars I can think of - Renault 19 and 21 (and Mk1 Megane - particularly the Classic - saloon version)
Fiat Bravo and Brava (and Marea/Marea Weekend)
Black 306 Rallye
Topaz Blue E39 530i Sport
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
I think anything to do with fiat doesn't tend to see their 6th birthday for some reason.
Thanks given by:
The 4D56 2.5 turbo diesel engine from Mitsubishi Pajeros has a sacrificial camshaft that would destroy itself if the cam belt snapped to stop too much damage occurring to the rest of the engine.
No good if you are chasing power though I suppose.
Thanks given by:
Ahhh the Tempra, such a beauty. I would give one to each of my family members if I had to pick a car for them.

The Pajero fact sounds cool but why not just use gears between the cam/s and crankshaft like vw's later 2.5 Tdi(can't remember the engine code of the top of my head) or the Manitou forklift with a td perkins engine that I use for work.

Got another rare one that my mate had that happens to be a sheeiat , a punto gt turbo.

Who can remember the maestro turbo rot rocket?
Thanks given by:
maestro turbos are very rare now to see! the last time I saw one of those would have been close to about 12 years now!
I did see a mg maestro at mg live last year, and I think that was only one there. Even he said the maestro club was very thin on the ground. montegos another rare car that has now gone from the uk!
also while I was out walkin the dog, I saw a mk1 golf cabby!
Thanks given by:
(28-11-2014, 09:30 PM)procta Wrote: maestro turbos are very rare now to see! the last time I saw one of those would have been close to about 12 years now!
I did see a mg maestro at mg live last year, and I think that was only one there. Even he said the maestro club was very thin on the ground. montegos another rare car that has now gone from the uk!

The beauty of England mate, is the sheer population. In scotland, we are a much smaller country, so seeing that rare car is a treat lol

I only saw a maestro turbo once in the flesh and I sure as he'll ain't seen a standard metro in a long time bar the Austin I tell you about.

Seeing a 306 these days is very rare and a 6 was almost unheard of bar showing it on top gear.

Hopefully I will get my 6 going and we all get together in a meet up.

Wouldn't mind having a bitch ride in a lotus sprinkled sleeper metro.

The majority of cars on my daily commute to random areas of Scotland, consist of cars that are under 7 years old with the majority, being under 5 years old.

Screw your down south traffic jams though, that's bull shit :-P

Oh I forgot to add, the last maestro I saw, was a red one across the road from me, with duck tape everywhere to hide the rust!
Thanks given by:
if I were to do a northern meet, it would have to be at knockhill,
Thanks given by:
I saw a Micra super turbo not long ago in Birmingham, old guy driving it
Thanks given by:
(28-11-2014, 10:15 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote:
(28-11-2014, 09:30 PM)procta Wrote: maestro turbos are very rare now to see! the last time I saw one of those would have been close to about 12 years now!

The beauty of England mate, is the sheer population. In scotland, we are a much smaller country, so seeing that rare car is a treat lol

I only saw a maestro turbo once in the flesh and I sure as he'll ain't seen a standard metro in a long time bar the Austin I tell you about.

Seeing a 306 these days is very rare and a 6 was almost unheard of bar showing it on top gear.

Hopefully I will get my 6 going and we all get together in a meet up.

Wouldn't mind having a bitch ride in a lotus sprinkled sleeper metro.

The majority of cars on my daily commute to random areas of Scotland, consist of cars that are under 7 years old with the majority, being under 5 years old.

Screw your down south traffic jams though, that's bull shit :-P

Oh I forgot to add, the last maestro I saw, was a red one across the road from me, with duck tape everywhere to hide the rust!

Is seeing a 306 really rare in your parts?

I see probably 15 a day!
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
retro the more north you get the more rarer some car makes are to see, I posted up a photo of an SD1 and a BX that maybe the only one of each in sunderland, I said when was the last time you saw one of these? The lads at the time said, only a few days ago.
Lads on here of the 205s, now I haven seen a 205 for ages up here!
Thanks given by:
I don't often see 306s now. And those I do are dying old workhorses...

Until I got lost in an Ipswich suburb on Friday, must've seen 10+ 306s on one estate!! Confused lol Still nothing decent tbf though lol.

On the subject of classic cars though, anyone else noticed loads of import Nissan Figaros lately? Theres 2 or 3 for sale within 15 miles of me alone!
Thanks given by:
I see countless standard 306s on my commute, and a couple in the work car park.
Loads of workhorse diesels in the midlands!

If anything I'd have expected the north to be full of standard 306s!
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Hardly any as of late, used to see loads of XUD's and 1.4's kicking about. Im lucky if I see 2 a week now.

Spose saying they are very very rare in my area was a bit of an exaggeration, but compared to a few years back, they are not common around my part of the country.
Thanks given by:
I've got a couple of rare cars, Saab 99 EMS. It's the first sort of semi Sporty 99 that Saab launched back in 1972. They had EFI on them up until 1975 and Bosch K-Jet mechanical injection from 1976 on. Once the 99 Turbo came out in 1978, the EMS wasn't as desirable.
This is my 1975 99 EMS with EFI

[attachment=20374]

[attachment=20375]

This is my 1976 99 EMS with Bosh K-Jet

[attachment=20376]

[attachment=20377]

[attachment=20378]

Yes, I do love older Saabs.
Thanks given by:
There's one of these not too far from me:

[Image: VIJ8674_sunbeam-stiletto_Imp05.jpg]

Its very much like this one...

Not sure if its a
Hillman Imp
Singer Chamois
Sunbeam Stiletto
Thanks given by:
Now these are rare beasts welshman!!! good to see you get them up on the forum Smile Where is the turbo though, would love to see that too. Heck get them all up for us to see and gaze in awe :O

Project threadsssssssssssssss....... shit sorry, I sneezedWink
Thanks given by:
The 99 Turbo I own now is a Black 2dr, one of 200 imported into the UK. Unfortunately, the original car had suffered terribly from the dreaded tin worm and was scrapped. I have a 1984 2dr shell in vgc, to transfer all of the parts onto.

This is a 3dr I owned up until a few years ago.
1978 Saab 99 3dr Turbo

[attachment=20386]

[attachment=20387]

1974 Saab 96 V4. I bought this one after seeing it on the owners club website. Advert stated had been laid up for many years. In fact, was parked in the guys garage in 1986 and left there until December 2013 when I collected it.

What I saw when he opened the garage door.
[attachment=20388]

On the trailer, nearly ready to leave.
[attachment=20389]

How it looks at the moment. A long way to go yet though.
[attachment=20390]
Thanks given by:
odd thing is the saabs are still popular around here, the blue one that is on the trailer, one of my old Primary school teachers runs one as a every day car,
The saab turbos are not that common sights anymore, there was one a few streets away, it was put into storage. I wonder if it still is. I think he broke one for spares when I was leaving school, that will tell you how long he has had it.
I still remember the thud of the door shutting on the one me and my dad looked at in the scrappy in 2003! you could feel the quality like and by Christ it was comfy! one came in with a f*cked rear light! On a H plater too at the time.
Thanks given by:
I must know people with old and classic cars cars we'll. His thread has made me realise why they have them. I know not one but 2 people with uno turbos. A guy with a 900 turbo saab. A guy with an austin metro. A guy with a rover metro. Used to know a guy with a punto turbo. Know a guy with a renault 5, renault 19 that he supercharged just cause he could. His even got a renault 5 camper thing. Grandads got austin Cambridges, morris oxfords I think 9 in total now. And a couple of old landys. The things I dont see anymore are things like astra gtes, nova sri's even 205 gtis are becoming a rare site now. Wish I could justify having another classic car atm but with the mini I havnt touched in 6 months I just dont have the time or space anymore
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 gti6 are rare? lolsteve 14 4,516 13-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Last Post: bigcheez2k3
  do i or dont i cully 43 8,841 23-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  A rare colour dont you think? reckord 24 7,785 28-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Last Post: E_KEL95