Bosch advance solenoid

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bosch advance solenoid
Hi all, just wanted to get some thoughts on an idea.....

I have recently converted my 406 2.1TD fuel pump to Bosch power, mainly to use WVO and due to its fiddleability Smile I didn't fit the cold start wax stat which attaches to the lever at the back of the pump.
As the weather is getting colder, starting is getting lumpier. I will use 10% petrol but would also like to wire the cold start advance solenoid to the glow plugs (through a fuse) so it advances the pump while the plugs are on, this should help a lot ( in my mind anyway)
What do people think to this plan?

Smile
Thanks given by:
Plugs arent on long enough even if you managed to rig it to that somehow. I really need to somehow sort my cold start as well at some point. Just hold your foot on throttle a touch more in mornings Smile
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 06:57 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Plugs arent on long enough even if you managed to rig it to that somehow. I really need to somehow sort my cold start as well at some point. Just hold your foot on throttle a touch more in mornings Smile

Mmmm good point, i counted about 13sec till the relay clicks off. Will look at a wiring diagram for my old 306 to see what it was controlled by. I don't really want to wire a manual switch incase I leave it on. At the min holding my foot on the pedal is working but it's a bit loud at 5am when I leave Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
It's not a bad shout, but usually if you're running veg, you'll tend to want a little more advance statically anyway, the ignition delay is longer on Veg than it is on dino anyhu.

I'd be tempted to give it slightly more advance on the slots, since as soon as it turns off, it'll quickly go back to being quite lumpy...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I feel bad revving mine on an early start as I live in a little village. I start it then immediately pull away in first and just hold revs at 2000 in first until im at top of my road. Advance the pump a little and see how you get on as well. Mines advanced to get a nicer run.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Ruan- When I first installed the pump it was too advanced and clattered around like a good'un. Using my good ear I retarded it slightly and it runs well once warm. I've read using the solenoid can advance it up to 8deg and it shouldn't be used once the engine temp goes over 60 degC. I'm guessing the Lucas epic system was ECU controlled which won't help this situation.

Bashbarnard- Yeah I move off asap, petrol will help too. I would like to get sorted before the winter mornings set in Smile
Thanks given by:
the solonoid advance on mine fitted straight in, (to the bosch plug)

might be worth seeing if you can wire in the OEM bosch solonoid.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2014, 10:20 PM)toseland Wrote: the solonoid advance on mine fitted straight in, (to the bosch plug)

might be worth seeing if you can wire in the OEM bosch solonoid.

The pump is on a 406 2.1 td which had an ECU controlled Lucas pump, so there's no where to plug owt in. If I could access the ECU I could possibly use the now redundant files to control it.

I did scan over a wiring diagram and it looks like it has a separate controller on the 1.9 which could be useful Smile
Thanks given by:
Good shout this. Why not use a timer relay to run the solenoid on for 60s?
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
It's a single wire, I would just wire a switch onto it then switch it on, what I did works fine, just remember to turn it off.

Ensure its on a ignition live as well or you will forget to turn it off like I did and drain the battery
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Quick update, ive found that my car has a post heater time of approx 180sec. So connected the advance solenoid up and it starts alot better. You can see the Rpm change after that time too. Real test will be at 5am tomoz morn, it's also on 100% WVO. Smile
Thanks given by:
I didnt think the wax stat touched the timing? Just pics up the throttle doesnt it!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Wax stat is controlling idle speed. The advance solenoid is on the front of the pump with a small metal pipe on it which connects to the top of the pump. This moves the roller cage inside the pump which advances the timing by 8deg.

That be the barsteward Smile
Thanks given by:
Ahhh yeah yeah
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No power to Diesel stop solenoid Olly 306 1 1,193 14-01-2019, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Lucas Advance Switch RAW 8 3,116 30-03-2018, 07:15 PM
Last Post: RAW
  406 semi ecu XUD9, lumpy/idling issues,advance woes Piggy 3 1,358 28-11-2016, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Seb_Ryan