I've Got A Sooty Arse!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've Got A Sooty Arse!
Had a Stage 1+ done and whilst loving the extra go-go-go, I can't help but think it's a little smokey. Hence the photo below, shit loads of soot. The 'smoke' is a grey haze but there is loads of it. Great for polluting cyclists Wink

What do you guys think.....normal or too sooty?

[Image: 20140907_064701_zps48cd30ed.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sounds like you need more boost...who done the map?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
That's the problem with manual boost control and no intercooler...a hard stage 1 will always be smokey. Looks alright to me though...same as mine with the straight through.
Thanks given by:
Check you don't have the normal boost leak on the inlet elbow join. Gasket usually goes on the join by the egr. If it has fix this and the haze should clear up. All dw10's I've seen minus a 206 have had it. Very common Smile
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
How long ago did you clean the back of the car?

Shouldn't be very smoky on a stage 1, or ever really, the HDis don't need it. Rob's probably on the money, failing that there's most likely a problem with the map. Whatever you do, don't increase the boost on stage 1, it'll cook the intake charge and gain you the sum total of FA.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'm yet to see a decent stage 1 that doesn't smoke a bit!? Nowhere near as much as an XUD but still enough to show displeasure to others... lol Especially with a straight through, with the standard cat and exhaust in the rear end takes much longer to soot up.

Only smoke-less map I had (still not totally smokeless with a straight through) felt dull, boring and not much better than standard.

With a hard stage 1 and no VNT or IC, surely you expect a bit of smoke pre boost, and then round by the limiter. Its fairly clear in the middle of the rev range when the turbo wakes up. Means you really have to hang on to a lower gear past cyclists. Itwasntme

That said, I did have a boost leak on every single turbo diesel I've owned so far. lol
Thanks given by:
Tom, you are right.

The Stage 1's I do don't really smoke at all. The Stage 1+ mods do smoke a bit, and I always make that clear when I do them... but they do make a lot more torque and a bit more power.

Alan_M, if it's too cloudy for you, assuming it's one of my maps (which I think it is) I'm happy to swap it out for a normal stage 1, free of charge.

That said, I'd check for a boost leak - because they don't normally make the back, black like that! Smile

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Yeah, the stage 1 you did for me doesn't smoke much at all. I enjoyed it for the best part of a couple of weeks until the clutch decided its had enough lol
Thanks given by:
Dragging this up, I thought I'd let you know the sootiness has cleared up loads since I changed to new Siemens MAF and refurbed TPS. The MPG started to drop from a regualr 52ish to 39. Looked for boost leaks but there was none. Took a punt on an ECP deal on the MAF (half price) and fitted with the refurbed TPS and car is much more keen to go. Much less soot now.

Just a buzzing LP pump to change now (also ordered new Siemens on the ECP deal).
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
Mine smokes like a Bizotch... It's leaking more boost than a land rover leaks oil, but I haven't got around to changing it yet as I have an fmic to fit..

Only smokes when I realt Mat it..
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by: