Diff bearings BE3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diff bearings BE3
Hi. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences on changing the diff bearings, with the gearbox in situ??. Had a good read through service box, and to me it appears in principle to be possible via driveshaft, speedo and housing case removal.
Granted the box is all but off the car, with the above removed, but as a time saving exercise, it could only be a thing, if possible. Thoughts???. :-)
Thanks given by:
it is possible with the lower torque link removed, though space is tight to swing the engine forwards on some models.
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2014, 10:49 PM)welshpug Wrote: it is possible with the lower torque link removed, though space is tight to swing the engine forwards on some models.

Ahha, thanks for that. Was reluctant to post the question at first lol, as I thought it must of been covered at some point, but ive only managed to find one thread which covers the subject, in a vague way.
Mines a Dw10 unit, so room under there is at a premium (as I found out with the turbo lol) and tbh im only keeping the thought of diff bearings as a 3rd in line option, after ive changed the O/S wheel bearing and driveshaft. Ive got a nagging drone which kicks in between 30 to 40 mph, which doesn't alter with steering.
Its one of those instances where you know its going on, but cannot pin down the culprit. Thanks :-)
Thanks given by:
In place the hardest thing is re-sealing it, you need to leave it for a good 48 hr's to let the oil drain out or you will get a drip when you don't want it,

But.

Very rarely the Diff bearings fail, I've had 285 out of a set without any issues, well the box too until the HG went and complete change of drive-train was fitted, If anything goes in the diff its the sun and planet gears or the Diff pin.
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drive shaft/Diff puglove 18 2,615 02-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Connor