Best clutch for a stage 1 hdi?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best clutch for a stage 1 hdi?
As title, my clutch has started slipping after the remap so looking to get it changed in a few weeks.

Is there a certain brand/type that is recommended?

I'm also planning on changing the cable, is there anything else i can get done while im at it to make the clutch feel better/lighter?

Thanks in advance
Thanks given by:
This has been covered so many time before but any way. Get a decent brand clutch like a luk or valeo and that will hold stage 1 fine. While doing the clutch it is worth doing the fork bushes at the same time while the gear box is out. Also best to do the sleeve and drive shaft seals
Thanks given by:
I had a slipping clutch after I first put my stage 1 map on give it a few weeks see how the clutch is. Every time it slips just lift off then back on again.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
I did do a search to see if it had been covered but most of the results i saw had post subjects unrelated to the question i was asking or were project threads. I didn't fancy reading through every one of the 70+ threads looking for the answer lol

Thanks for the replies Smile
I was thinking of leaving it for a bit and seeing how it goes but have to go to london and reading next month with a full car so i'd rather be safe than sorry and get it changed. Local driving under gentle acceleration it's fine

Edit: JTrigga, how was your clutch after a few weeks? How long did it last before it had to be changed?
Thanks given by:
My clutch was fine after a few weeks, I was even trying to make it slip before I put the Berlingo clutch on and it still held the power. I put the stage 1 map on back in April and changed the clutch just last week.
Bye Bye D-Turbo

Thanks given by:
When was the remap? Have you allowed the clutch time to "rebed"? So to say.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
About a month ago now. Initially it was fine, then noticed revs dropping slightly when accelerating hard in 5th gear on motorways' now noticing it more around town as well if i accelerate anything but gently.

I'm just concerned about it giving up on me while on the motorway a few hours from home
Thanks given by:
If it's an old/original clutch and its progressively slipping more and more then it is going to need changing sooner rather than later.

Sounds similar to how mine was - initially it was fine for a month or so, then it would start to momentarily slip at peak torque when hot, and progressively would slip with less and less provocation. That was a ~130k original clutch, so hardly surprising really it was struggling to cope with the best part of 50% more torque!

One replacement Valeo clutch later and its perfect. Did the cable and fork bushes at the same time, along with removing the pedal damper/spring thing, and the pedal action is light and positive now. Be warned that changing the cable is a pig of a job and removing the pin on the clutch fork/arm to do the bushes isn't much better...

In answer to the original question, a good branded clutch should be fine at Stage 1 tune - Valeo, Luk and Sachs are all good brands to look out for.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Thanks for detailed reply. Mine is at 150k at the moment and most likely on it's original clutch and i've noticed it slipping more in 2nd and 3rd now.
It's booked in at my mate's garage in a few weeks, so he'll have fun lol

Is there a recommended seller that member's use that are well priced?
Thanks given by:
To be honest if you have the space I'd do myself. I did mine only last week and its not to hard to do with just basic tools. The only tool I had to buy was a stud extractor for the gearbox stud. Putting the box back on is the hardest part but with a mate its pretty easy.
Bye Bye D-Turbo

Thanks given by:
I wouldn't dare try it myself lol i'm pretty handy with tools but nothing mechanical just yet lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best clutch for stage 2 L16rye 4 2,306 15-11-2016, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Clutch kit Stage 2 ? MrBigMac 54 9,730 28-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Last Post: ct-hdi
  Stage 2 Clutch Chris HDI 15 3,630 23-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Last Post: ct-hdi