Most Worthwhile GTI6/Rallye Upgrades

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Worthwhile GTI6/Rallye Upgrades
I've been told decat isn't a great idea? Apparently a gti-6 runs better with the back pressure the cat restriction provides or something. You lose midrange power or something. Never known myself as haven't owned a 6 but just some Info I know and saw someone mentioned a decat Smile apparently it sounds mean decat though but everyone apparently suggests a sports cat. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong though Smile
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
Correct you will loose some mid range torque but i think its a silly small amount so not really worth arguing about. Just don't forget it will not pass an MOT without a cat in there....or at least look like there is a cat in there Wink
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Swap for an engine that runs on the right fuel.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(03-09-2014, 12:12 AM)Razorback_Rob Wrote: I've been told decat isn't a great idea? Apparently a gti-6 runs better with the back pressure the cat restriction provides or something. You lose midrange power or something. Never known myself as haven't owned a 6 but just some Info I know and saw someone mentioned a decat Smile apparently it sounds mean decat though but everyone apparently suggests a sports cat. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong though Smile

Yes you lose a small amoubt of mid range torque but for an increased amount of power and noise higher up, I bet sports cats will cost a fortune, especially compared to a decat.
Cheers

(03-09-2014, 05:39 AM)Poodle Wrote: Swap for an engine that runs on the right fuel.

Ive already got a 306 with the type of fuel your on about Poodle Tongue

(02-09-2014, 09:54 PM)impotentials Wrote: Dont forget the short shifters are adjustable.
aero wiper wise I have heard they wear out far quicker than standards, the best idea is rainex. I have used a product called enduro shield. It is a semi permanent rainex that last around 3 years. Comes from Oz and the Scottish cops are now using it so must be good. my experiance so far is great. No wipers needed at 60mph.

Cheers!
I havent heard of anyone else using that stuff, might have to have a look at it, sounds costly though, still using front wipers though Tongue
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2014, 12:12 AM)Razorback_Rob Wrote: I've been told decat isn't a great idea? Apparently a gti-6 runs better with the back pressure the cat restriction provides or something. You lose midrange power or something. Never known myself as haven't owned a 6 but just some Info I know and saw someone mentioned a decat Smile apparently it sounds mean decat though but everyone apparently suggests a sports cat. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong though Smile

Personally i have decatted my rallye and despise what it did to the car! how many ties are you ever actually just driving flat out full race style yo!? keep a standard cat and enjoy being able to pull out of corners in 3rd without needing to downshift.

Alternatively if you want to purchase a decat pipe im taking mine off this week and its definately for sale haha Wink
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2014, 06:56 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:

Personally i have decatted my rallye and despise what it did to the car! how many ties are you ever actually just driving flat out full race style yo!? keep a standard cat and enjoy being able to pull out of corners in 3rd without needing to downshift.

Alternatively if you want to purchase a decat pipe im taking mine off this week and its definately for sale haha Wink

That's quite the hard sale. Sir.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
(03-09-2014, 06:57 AM)Razorback_Rob Wrote:
(03-09-2014, 06:56 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:

That's quite the hard sale. Sir.

Sir Hi! As you ca tell it will be cheap haha i hate it!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 09:54 PM)impotentials Wrote: aero wiper wise I have heard they wear out far quicker than standards

Probably true if you use the £3 Tesco shitters, not true if you use proper Bosch Aerotwins, I've never had to replace a pair so far!
Thanks given by:
You can buy a universal sports cat off ebay for £80? Cut out your old one, sell it and use the money to have a sports one welded in

As Liam said they make a fair bit of power as standard...for a old, heavy, non vvt engine Tongue Just probably need a good servicing as the older cars get the less people are willing to invest to keep them running
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
You know how awesome they are then, MY95! :p

These do me well over 12 months at a time, and at that price...! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330706284414?s...1423.l2649
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(03-09-2014, 05:42 PM)Poodle Wrote: You know how awesome they are then, MY95! :p

These do me well over 12 months at a time, and at that price...! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330706284414?s...1423.l2649

HDI is good but sounds nothing like a GTI6/Rallye Smile
There the ones I got aha! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I just got fed up with my de cat and found a 200cell sport cat from demon tweeks, sounds awsome, passed it mot. Just, but more the cams than cat. No real noticable difference in power throughout the band, nut a much better wispy noise.

And im sure I paid less than 150 for it, I think...
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2014, 09:22 PM)impotentials Wrote: I just got fed up with my de cat and found a 200cell sport cat from demon tweeks, sounds awsome, passed it mot. Just, but more the cams than cat. No real noticable difference in power throughout the band, nut a much better wispy noise.

And im sure I paid less than 150 for it, I think...

Cheers for the info! Going to keep my cat in place to keep a normal amount of midrange and to keep it MOT passable without changing stuff around
Thanks given by:
Lighter wheels can be had from £100 up. 15s tend to be cheap. I lost 8.5kg per wheel using PE2s and BTCC mags over cyclones and P6000s on my Rallye (back in the day). The C5 alloys are lighter again!
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2014, 10:15 PM)adam b Wrote: Lighter wheels can be had from £100 up. 15s tend to be cheap. I lost 8.5kg per wheel using PE2s and BTCC mags over cyclones and P6000s on my Rallye (back in the day). The C5 alloys are lighter again!

Thats cheaper than I was expecting! What can be had for the lower end of £100 then? Nice one, I prefer clones out of most of the wheels ive ever seen on a 306
Thanks given by:
You could just about manage a set of C5 steels for under £100.

Oh and the de-res makes a better noise and possibly a tiny bit more power top end.
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2014, 06:56 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: You could just about manage a set of C5 steels for under £100.

Oh and the de-res makes a better noise and possibly a tiny bit more power top end.

Sweet cheers!
Any guides on this?
Thanks given by:
Things like Superleggeras, Pro Race 1.2s and Compomotive CXRs do turn up under £200 from time to time. CXRs are the way forward. C5s are good, but check they are round. Only 6.5J wide, whereas the others above will normally be 7J.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Check the wheel whores website, things come up all the time
Thanks given by:
- decent new front wishbones
- new bilstein shocks all round
- new rear beam mounts
- decent tyres all round
- service

= b road machine.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
(05-09-2014, 05:37 PM)lewisdmz Wrote: - decent new front wishbones
- new bilstein shocks all round
- new rear beam mounts
- decent tyres all round
- service

= b road machine.

Cheers!
Sounds like the best setup is:

Good brakes
Uprated or brand new top oem suspension
Performance tyres
A good service
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rallye or GTI6 mspdan 30 7,851 09-01-2015, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  Any other GTI6/Rallye Owners Under 20 on here? MY95 45 11,979 22-04-2014, 08:03 AM
Last Post: RetroPug
  Most Useful 306 Upgrades/Mods MY95 55 9,536 02-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Pompey306mark