Hdi engine clean

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hdi engine clean
Anybody recommend a good degreaser/cleaner?
I still cant find where the diesel is leaking from so plan on cleaning the engine down so i can trace its source
Thanks given by:
Gunk degreaser was recommended to me but a friends dad, its what he uses when restoring his motorbikes. Available from halfords and online. That and a steam clean should clean it up. Never been brave enough to steam clean mine but i would like to.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Same here, but i have no choice as its covered in diesel at the moment and have no other way of finding the leak. I'll try and clean it with as much degreaser as possible then take it to a local jetwash and pressure wash it
Thanks given by:
Pools of diesel by the injectors? Think they left the factory like that. Tongue

I've just used the Halfords degreaser foam in a green can (cant remember the actual brand), brushes around and jetwashed off, seemed to work well.
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 02:02 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Pools of diesel by the injectors? Think they left the factory like that. Tongue

How did you guess? Rofl

What are the main things to cover up, battery/ecu/relay box area, anywhere else?
Thanks given by:
Cover up?? lol I don't cover anything, just run the engine so its warm, do the jetwashing and then drive it after so water doesn't get a chance to soak in anywhere.

Obviously don't blast directly at the ECU and plugs in close proximity, and if you've got a cone filter, don't shoot at that. Also, cleaning the battery is a good idea rather than covering it, crap on it can allow a short between the terminals and drain it slowly, some spray grease on the terminals after is useful though.

Edit - Disclaimer....I've done it hundreds of times without issues, if yours breaks I don't take responsibility. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Thats cool then, if you see a thread titled 'car wont start after engine steam clean' you know who it'll be loll

Im just going to be mainly jetwashing the injector/rocker cover/fuel pump area
Thanks given by:
That'll be fine. Prepare for the brief annoying wet aux belt squeal though. lol
Thanks given by:
I'll hopefully do it tomorrow afternoon and take some before and after pics Smile
Thanks given by:
Might be worth covering your alternator too btw.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Gunk is complete rubbish and for the price well, Best stuff I have found and leaves everything grease free but of course it needs rubbing in
http://www.astonishcleaners.com/

Only around £2.50 a bottle too, It is astonishing,
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
I've just ordered a couple of astonish bottles on ebay, thanks a lot for the suggestion! Reviews seem good too and can't really complain for the priceThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
I had a look on their website last night, tempted to buy some and have a clean up too Smile
Thanks given by:
Big fan of Jizer myself, for the name if nothing else. It's nowhere near as cheap as that astonish stuff mind!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'm just waiting for the astonish to be delivered, will let you guys know what i think of it
Thanks given by:
it's £1.50 a bottle down here, If there is something better for the price I would like to find it
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
I paid around £3 including delivery from ebay, still cheaper than other degreasers out there
Thanks given by:
Finally got round to cleaning the engine, worked brilliantly and only used less than a 1/3 of the bottle! Not the greatest pics as it was way too sunny and created too many shadows

Before :

After :
Thanks given by:
That's rather impressive actually...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah i know, i only let it soak for a couple of minutes as the engine eas hot and sun was beaming down.

I plan on doing it again soon now that i can see the bits i've missed. But for £1 worth of degreaser, can't go wrong ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
Had and overall cover with silicone spray, plentyt of it.
engine parts and specially rubber parts will like it.
You will like it too in the long run, because dust don~t grab so much. ;-)
Thanks given by: