306oc Facebook page

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306oc Facebook page
Evening all,
After some discussion by the staff, we have decided to restrict the Facebook page to posts by staff to announce shows/meets and any major threads. This might seem backwards but unfortunately the page was being abused a lot taking up a lot of the staffs time (not by our own members i will point out) not to mention it was drawing attention away from the forum which we are trying to avoid.

Niall
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
So where am I supposed to sell stuff now?!

Rofl
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
On your f*cking lemonade stand you jigolo!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
What so effectively nothing is going to happen on that page? Surely keeping it relatively active will get people to join it and thus join the forum. Just posting to members about stuff that would warrant an announcement on here anyway seems pointless.
Thanks given by:
Seems fair enough IMO.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 09:02 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: What so effectively nothing is going to happen on that page? Surely keeping it relatively active will get people to join it and thus join the forum. Just posting to members about stuff that would warrant an announcement on here anyway seems pointless.

There will still be announcements on important threads, meets, shows and that kind of thing, but most of what is posted on there is sale threads and technical questions, both of which are better served on the forum.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
It was impossible to manage. People were Posting up for sale threads every other hour and many people just refused to use the forum because the facebook group existed. The forum is what we are all here for.
Thanks given by:
I think it's a good idea tbh. I was getting fed up if people advertising stuff on there anyway, followed by a gazillion notifications of then arguing the toss when it got removed.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 04:31 PM)Grant Wrote: I think it's a good idea tbh. I was getting fed up if people advertising stuff on there anyway, followed by a gazillion notifications of then arguing the toss when it got removed.

Exactly. I was actually getting really really annoyed by it.
Thanks given by:
So now I cant even share new pics or ask for advice for my car? More people are on facebook than forum at times and there has been many occasion that I have posted on oc fb page and have had a quick response.
If you didnt know, the less activity a fb page has and less posts it has will mean it will not appear on peoples news feed so you may as well delete the page or get someone with the time to admin it to enforce the rules.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the concern. Its been noted.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I think it's a good idea, imo it was killing activity on the forum ?
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I dont own a laptop or a pc, unless im at work the only way i can get online is my iphone.

Unless we can develop an app for the forum (clio16valver has one and its fantastic!) i dont use the forum on my phone (tapatalk sucks donkey balls)

Conclusion: the facebook page was a hand way of quickly sharing information with the members of the forum.

I think a good compromise would be too make the facebook page a 'closed group' as far as notifications go that is for the members to turn off on the page, is only one click and its done!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(17-09-2014, 07:56 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: I think it's a good idea, imo it was killing activity on the forum ?
Agreed. Plus the Facebook page was getting spammed with stupid, repetitive questions, as well as people trying to sell stuff all the time. I felt like most of the time I was interacting with the fb page it was either deleting sale posts, or answering a question that is easily found on here.

EDIT: I will admit that on one occasion I posted on the fb group and the forum at the same time after a quick response, and the fb group got a faster reply though. But that was only once. lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Make it a members only closed group fb page then.
I understand the fact it was being abused and spammed but stopping anyone being able to post will leave it dormant.

Setting up a fresh group with members only could be a easy way of eliminating spam and for sale posts.
Thanks given by:
I don't use Facebook so have no input other than why do we need a Facebook page as well as a forum? Crumpy, you say it will leave it dormant - so what. Surely we only really want it as an advert on FB to get people over to the forum?
Thanks given by:
Couldn't agree more, very rarely see a post from someone that wasn't a complete waster, left the group because of it I think, that or i've disabled the notifications. Tbh if I found the forum through the faceache page I would probably have never signed up, genuinely.

Those guys complaining of accessibility on the phone: why don't you just use a browser?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(17-09-2014, 09:35 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: I dont own a laptop or a pc, unless im at work the only way i can get online is my iphone.

Unless we can develop an app for the forum (clio16valver has one and its fantastic!) i dont use the forum on my phone (tapatalk sucks donkey balls)

Conclusion: the facebook page was a hand way of quickly sharing information with the members of the forum.

I think a good compromise would be too make the facebook page a 'closed group' as far as notifications go that is for the members to turn off on the page, is only one click and its done!

Unfortunately mate developing an app isn't feasible, Tapatalk is the best we've got for now.

(17-09-2014, 09:43 AM)crumpy Wrote: Make it a members only closed group fb page then.
I understand the fact it was being abused and spammed but stopping anyone being able to post will leave it dormant.

Setting up a fresh group with members only could be a easy way of eliminating spam and for sale posts.

Problem with selling posts for the most part, is that most of the ones I removed, and I was removing 3 or 4 a day, were posted by members.
Thanks given by:
With regards to a mobile version of the forum, when the new update is released, a mobile version MAY be available as standard but I'll add it to my list of things to do. Anything to get away from Tapatalk is a good thing!

The Facebook group was purely abused for people selling or some fake account selling "discount" raybans. We were moderating people joining but there were far too many to deal with quick enough and even then, from just a quick look at someone's profile you can't tell what they want to do with the group.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I would really welcome a mobile version of the forum as would a lot of people!

If the mk1 clio forum can have one (about 12 active members lol ) then we definately should!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(17-09-2014, 11:26 AM)Niall Wrote: The Facebook group was purely abused for people selling or some fake account selling "discount" raybans. .

I got some of those they called "Rayberies" don't think theyre properly uv though lol

The Mg facebook group has two sections one for talking and the other for sales and yet people still try and sell in the talk section or go "wonder what i'd get for it btw here's all the info about it etc"

In regards to mobile vesion I've not had any problems with any of my 3 android phones using the default browser or now chrome
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
if you have a decent enough browser on your phone the normal web version works just fine, agreed that having a FB group for the same forum is stupid.
Thanks given by:
I understand why you've got rid of it, but I also agree with crump.
Ive been out working on car and needed a quick response which is what I got on the group, but on the forum I end up waiting a while for it.

I think if you make It a closed group where the post have to be run past the admin first it would be easier to handle.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(17-09-2014, 05:52 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: I understand why you've got rid of it, but I also agree with crump.
Ive been out working on car and needed a quick response which is what I got on the group, but on the forum I end up waiting a while for it.

I think if you make It a closed group where the post have to be run past the admin first it would be easier to handle.

Thing is Kent, if your post had to be run past an admin first, theres no guarantee you'd get your answer faster on Facebook. In fact in that situation, I'd rather post on the forum. We can't be around 24/7 to approve every post.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hate facebook DeeTurbo 5 3,712 23-12-2019, 03:20 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Stef's axle page Stef205 0 1,109 10-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Stef205
  Facebook Wheel storm cully 24 6,433 21-07-2016, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Ruan