Picked up a citroen zx...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Picked up a citroen zx...
Hi all, I'm new here, and have come from driving 205s into this-

[Image: image_zps477aad18.jpg]

[Image: image_zps0b6b6c5b.jpg]

[Image: image_zpsc8410745.jpg]

It's pretty tidy apart from a couple of tiny parking dents and a patch of poor quality respray on part of the passenger front door. Appreciate that it's not a 306 but it seems there's nowhere else for us zx owners to go. Seen a couple of other zxs on this site so thought I'd sign up too.

Don't really have any plans for her apart from keeping the rust away (there isn't any yet apart from a patch in the rear inner arch that I need to sort before the salty months) and to replace a comically wobbly speedo if I can find the part.

Any comments or advice welcome
Thanks given by:
Looks good! On a k plate too. Wobbly speedo, oh the memories!
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Yeah, have read that they are hard to come by and on RHD models its a dash out job? Is quite funny trying to keep at 30 for speed cameras, no exaggeration it's flitting from 20 upto 40. At speed though its ok.

Central locking fob is also pretty knackered, opened it up its been bodged with insulation tape and some cardboard from a cereal packet. Having to lock with the key (unalarmed). Struggling to find a replacement case for that aswell. The joys of old weird cars eh?
Thanks given by:
hi and welcome

looks tidy that, must be one of the first registered being on a k plate?

speedo will most likely be the cable, its in two parts and the lower section in the engine bay to the box is a piece of cake to replace
Thanks given by:
welcome to the forum

is the fob the same as this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151392663428?s...1555.l2649
Thanks given by:
Speedo cable aren't difficult to come by? I bought a new one fairly recently on ebay after melting through it when it touched my turbo manifold :/

key fob, again there will be someone on ebay that can repair it. There isn't much complicated on those little boards.
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 11:10 AM)maxlee Wrote: welcome to the forum

is the fob the same as this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151392663428?s...1555.l2649

Cheers for looking but no. That's the same as my 205 one though, ill put a picture up in a bit

(01-09-2014, 11:15 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: Speedo cable aren't difficult to come by? I bought a new one fairly recently on ebay after melting through it when it touched my turbo manifold :/

key fob, again there will be someone on ebay that can repair it. There isn't much complicated on those little boards.

Ahh that's good then, it's just what I've heard/read. I've only had the car a couple of weeks so haven't had a really proper look yet.

The fob circuitry is fine, it's clearly been sat on by a previous owner and its really hard to operate, and the casing is all cracked
Thanks given by:
Oh, well I know where there is a spare case, Anton has my old one hopefully still in his car, I think I put it in there, see if he can dig it out before it gets weighed in
Thanks given by:
ZX Volcane part of my French 3 somesome fantasy with the Renault 19 16V and the 6 of course.
Thanks given by:
Here it is, complete with random stuff that fell out of it-

[Image: image_zpsb73af759.jpg]

(01-09-2014, 11:23 AM)MisterGTR Wrote: ZX Volcane part of my French 3 somesome fantasy with the Renault 19 16V and the 6 of course.

It's a dturbo. Does that change anything?
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 11:24 AM)dt_ Wrote: Here it is, complete with random stuff that fell out of it-

[Image: image_zpsb73af759.jpg]

(01-09-2014, 11:23 AM)MisterGTR Wrote: ZX Volcane part of my French 3 somesome fantasy with the Renault 19 16V and the 6 of course.

It's a dturbo. Does that change anything?

No, it just reaffirms my stupidity Smile

Enjoy the car. Nice people round here (i'm only new!)
Thanks given by:
Did consider an r19 but there wasn't any for sale locally or at all for that matter. Heard their 1900 td was a match for the xud in its day
Thanks given by:
Welcome! After I'm rid of the nad I'm looking at getting a zx Smile lovely cars, how much did you give for it if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks given by:
welcome,fellow newbie!!! love your ZX Volcane!
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 11:56 AM)dt_ Wrote: Did consider an r19 but there wasn't any for sale locally or at all for that matter. Heard their 1900 td was a match for the xud in its day
There engine is the xud. Its practiacally a 306. Nice looking motor. Good to see another one about.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Previous owner sat on the key and broke it...how big were they? I've stood on key fobs before without breaking them! lol
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 04:01 PM)Jimmy306uk Wrote: Welcome! After I'm rid of the nad I'm looking at getting a zx Smile lovely cars, how much did you give for it if you don't mind me asking?

The guy had it up for £895

I had no idea that renault used the xud aswell, makes sense really I guess, just thought in France it was peugeot/citroen vs renault and they would want to keep their engine from them

Re the key fob, it might just be 22 years of use but I took it apart and the actual button seems squashed flat onto the circuit board making it very difficult to press. Still just about works, but there's been a couple of times that it hasn't, and I don't fancy waking up the entire street at 5:30 am
Thanks given by:
Sorry read thatvwrong. They didnt useba xud. Oops
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 11:00 AM)Anton Wrote: Looks good! On a k plate too. Wobbly speedo, oh the memories!

Hi mate, just seen your zx breaking thread, what a shame eh. I can't contact you directly or post in the 'for sale' board yet, but I hear you have a remote locking casing in your possession somewhere, fancy chucking it my way?
Thanks given by:
If Anton can't help, then I'm pretty sure I've got a matching ZX RCL fob and receiver somewhere in good nick.

(and for that matter a ZX speedo cable)
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 09:57 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: If Anton can't help, then I'm pretty sure I've got a matching ZX RCL fob and receiver somewhere in good nick.

(and for that matter a ZX speedo cable)

If you could dig it out that would be awesome, might attempt some kind of bodge job until then!
Thanks given by:
Will do Smile
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Yeah ive got a casing mate Smile
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(03-09-2014, 01:45 PM)Anton Wrote: Yeah ive got a casing mate Smile

Excellent, I'd also be interested in the red volcane dash piping, as about a quarter or so of mine is missing for whatever reason
Thanks given by:
Zx fwends Wink Tongue

I saw this on ebay wasn't sure on the price kinda put me off, manged to get a sizeable chunk of the price of mine Smile

We all need to have a zx meet up Wink

Thanks given by:
(17-09-2014, 05:00 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: Zx fwends Wink Tongue

I saw this on ebay wasn't sure on the price kinda put me off, manged to get a sizeable chunk of the price of mine Smile

We all need to have a zx meet up Wink

Yeah it was priced strongly, but the 205 I part exed for it wasn't in the best shape shell wise, and had a short ticket. Only on 125k with full citroen s/h with no real rust or problems apart from those mentioned above. There's a petrol 1900 volcane on eBay right now, there's a strong price for ya, and it's come down 400 quid!
Thanks given by:
Well how about that, just searching for citroen zx related stuff and have happened across my own thread. Can't believe I've had this car for nearly six years now, by far the longest I've ever had a car, and it's still in daily service, kept outside in all weathers.

It's still in pretty good condition and runs faultlessly even though the mileage is creeping up towards 180k. Its not been without it's share of work though:

Aside from servicing, tyres etc,
New radiator about 4 years ago

New (IM) axle, 1 rear caliper, discs, pads, 2 rear wheel bearings 2018
Nearside rear arch rotted out, needed cutting out, and a replacement from a breaker welded in 2018
New mid section exhaust 2018

Front discs, pads, small weld repair os inner wing summer 19

Timing belt, tensioners, pump Jan 20.

Stuff still to do:

Find a replacement passenger front door, it's starting to rot out at the bottom, it's been subjected to a low rent paint job in the past

Oil leak, I know xuds have some sort of reputation for this, but it's leaking a fair bit from the back side of the engine, enough to drip from various places on the subframe.
Engine oil never needs topping up though, I could be overfilling it possibly. There is also a slow pas fluid leak that could be contributing to this.

All the dash lights have slowly extinguished themselves over the last half decade or so, even the ones in the heater panel. I'm aware that the entire dash has to come out to get to the bulbs, a near 30 French plastic dash is sure to suffer during that procedure I'd say and I keep putting it off.

P bushes and drop links are really worn, resulting in slightly wooly irregular handling and a machine gun like rattle respectively. Have the parts and am building up a couple of wishbones to swap out before it's mot in a couple of weeks time.

Toying with the idea of a front mounted intercooler, but am not interested in tuning the pump so it would be purely for efficiency and driveability in hot weather urban driving, but not sure if it's worth the hassle and messing up the engine bay

Not going to lie, the rear beam was tired, the rust repairs, the knackered brakes and exhaust, a few years back were a dark time where I did consider scrapping it, but I liked it and it still ran really well so persevered with the repairs at a cost of about 1000 quid overall, and haven't regretted it

Might give her a wash and wax and stick some pictures up for you all if you're lucky! (or interested)
Thanks given by:
I'm impressed you've managed to keep a car of that age on the road. Definitely a labour of love! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks given by:
Here, have some pics (not washed or waxed, just rinsed with heavy rain)

Yeah check that ns front door, anyone know of any breakers in this colour with a decent condition door going spare?  There was a full car on ebay last week, I would have bought it for spares, unfortunately I've nowhere to keep a car off road
Thanks given by:
Still got this bad boy, still my daily after nearly 8 years and just rolled over to 181,000 last week. She is starting to show her age however, and sometimes the turbo makes a noise when on full/high boost, I'm thinking it could be on its way out, but first would like to rule out a boost leak first (already changed the d seal for a new genuine).

Where's the best place to run the hose through the bulkhead, I will take a boost supply off the hose to the compensator, and have ordered a gauge and pod that I'd like to position on the flat area to the right of the dash binnacle
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just picked up an old estate Spoonaltap 10 1,813 27-02-2015, 10:40 PM
Last Post: 7057sam