Mazda MX-6?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mazda MX-6?
So, what do we know? Googled it, pretty nice looking sports coupe with a 2.5 V6 engine and a manual box. Anyone driven one, or know anything about them? Been offered a very cheap one with tiny mileage and FSH, not saying I want to get rid of the Benz but it might be one to store away for a year or 2 for when I get bored...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Re-badged ford probe... avoid at all costs!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
I think actually the Ford Probe was a re-badged Mazda MX6 but it doesnt really matter.

You'd hope it was effectively a Mondeo ST24 soupe but its a different engine that although has the bonus of having a timing chain isn't as powerful and the chassis isn't as good as the Mondeo
Thanks given by:
That's actually quite appealing, driven a Probe and thought it was quite good, just looked terrible and had an awful name.

This one is silver, 44k miles and mine for £250 with no MOT.
Thanks given by:
Mazdas rust like, well, like fords lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Pretty underpowered and heavy on fuel for what it is tbh.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Would you buy an old Mazda 626? Or a 1995 Ford Mondeo?

Probably not, because they're shit cars designed to be 'cheap' run-of-the-mill stuff.

A Probe / MX-6 is just exactly that in a frock.

The Later Cougar was significantly different underneath but still not as-good as the Mondeo ST which was lighter bodied.

They're rare nowadays because nobody could justify keeping one on the road this long, they're just not very special motors.

Spend your money somewhere else, definitely not on a coupe based on a cheap Mondeo platform. It's about as much a sportscar as a Nissan Note.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Think I'm going to go for it to be honest. Love the look of it and reviews from that era seem pretty good. Not really bothered about paper figures, they mean f*ck all really once a car is 20 year old.

Has anyone actually driven one or lived with one day to day? That's more what I'm after really.
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2014, 02:48 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Think I'm going to go for it to be honest. Love the look of it and reviews from that era seem pretty good. Not really bothered about paper figures, they mean f*ck all really once a car is 20 year old.

Has anyone actually driven one or lived with one day to day? That's more what I'm after really.

This, f*ck it do what you want.

Tell us it's shit after you've had a fair go. Big Grin
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
£250 is pretty good as long as it's not f*cked.

It's got abit of power, and you should be able to get a half decent grumble out of the V6 so it'll be a laugh.
Thanks given by:
Its shit because its not:
a 306
a Vectra
Some form of german derv eco box
a 306
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
If its not rusty and the suspension appears sound, grab it.
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2014, 02:48 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Think I'm going to go for it to be honest. Love the look of it and reviews from that era seem pretty good. Not really bothered about paper figures, they mean f*ck all really once a car is 20 year old.

Driven one for a customer, i hated every second of it.

IMHO if they had done an awesome v6 twin turbo with 4wd it could of been awesome! but even with a 2.5 V6 it just drives like a floppy cock
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
@R3k1355 - Yeah that's what I thought pal.

@Niall - Stating the obvious pal, why even waste my time?

@Pebbles167 - Not a spot of rust on it apparently, will have to drive it, on a private road obviously Wink

@Matt-Rallye - Anything specific wrong with it bud? Or just generally crap to drive?
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2014, 01:49 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: This one is silver, 44k miles and mine for £250 with no MOT.

Well at least it won't depreciate much. Itwasntme

I just wouldn't have one unless it was for a joke and free. I worked with a lad 10 years ago who bought one (a probe V6) for a couple hundred and it was shit 10 years ago, it will only of got shitter in that 10 years

Also buying one with no MOT is just ludicrous, theres probably a very good reason it has no MOT and probably will never will have an MOT without serious expense ever again.
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2014, 10:15 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(29-08-2014, 01:49 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: This one is silver, 44k miles and mine for £250 with no MOT.

Well at least it won't depreciate much. Itwasntme

I just wouldn't have one unless it was for a joke and free. I worked with a lad 10 years ago who bought one (a probe V6) for a couple hundred and it was shit 10 years ago, it will only of got shitter in that 10 years

Also buying one with no MOT is just ludicrous, theres probably a very good reason it has no MOT and probably will never will have an MOT without serious expense ever again.
Bought plenty with no MOT mate, just need to know how to check a car over. An MOT means very little, just that it was roadworthy on a certain date. This one has only done 900 miles since its last test. Reason its off the road is the guy got given a work car and decided to use that for a while and save money, and then just never put the Mazda back on the road.
Thanks given by:
Just check for tinworm, they suffer badly.

IMO there's more interesting bangers out there for the money, don't expect that V6 to burble and howl like anything special.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I just dont get why your considering this when you have the merc?

If you wanted something of that ilk then the Mondeo is the more powerful, faster, better handling, more comfortable, more practical and IMO prettier option. I don't think there is a single factor worth considering where the Mazda/Probe beats the Mondeo.
Thanks given by:
For £250 you can take it to the nearest track, thrash the f*ck out of it and if it go's pop just weigh it in.
You'll get half what you paid for it back as metal money anyways.
Thanks given by:
This replacing the Merc or a side project?

*Cough*406 Coupe!*cough*
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
Only done 900miles since last MOT....

Give it a THOROUGH going over. Remember my 206 thread where I was a complete idiot and trusted the guy.. It had done 500miles since MOT....I rekon the tester didnt even see the car!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2014, 04:17 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: @Matt-Rallye - Anything specific wrong with it bud? Or just generally crap to drive?

I drove one hard.. genuinely scared me just how unresponsive / sluggish it is and the handling is probably sharper in a landrover.

They honestly dont have any redeeming features whatsoever, shit on fuel, look gay, dont go well, dont handle and certainly not comfortable to cruise in either!

Also the guy was saying it needs constant maintenance (i know its old now and 306's are no better) but parts are hard to come buy 2nd hand and very expensive / hard too source new.

IMHO i would hold onto your hard earned and wait for something with abit more flair or rarity value / desirability if your looking at it from an investment view. You would be hard pushed to make a profit on it after buying it, keeping i for X amount of years and then re-commisioning it for the road (MOT / parts / etc)

Just my 2p worth and in no way an experts opinion, i would also recommend giving it the benefit of the doubt if only to test drive it (on private roads of course Wink ) ad decide for yourself.

Matt
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Liam,

I had one given to me by a friend (anyone remember me taking it to PPC in the Park about 6 years ago?)

It was not bad to drive to be honest, really (and I mean REALLY) revvy V6 engine, which yeah sure isn't that powerful, but very willing.

Also, an acquired taste I'm sure... but I thought it looked really cool... this is mine:

[Image: rear.jpg]

[Image: frontclean.jpg]

[Image: photo.jpg]

They go a bit crispy round the wheel arches, so watch out for that...

JP

Also... just read all of the above comments. Anyone that tells you it's a rebadged probe hasn't done their research properly :-P

It shares the same floorpan, as many fords and Mazda's did and continue to do so. BUT. The engine is different, (in my opinion it's better as it's so revvy), it has different suspension, the gearbox is completely different etc etc.

Also, worth noting - when we put mine on the dyno... bone stock with just a cheap crappy £5 air filter (sucking in hot air!) it made over 180hp.

My friend had a full stainless exhaust on his white one and it made nearly 190hp.

I'm not saying they are the greatest - but for the price, they are alright.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
(30-08-2014, 08:46 AM)jammapic Wrote: Liam,

I had one given to me by a friend (anyone remember me taking it to PPC in the Park about 6 years ago?)

It was not bad to drive to be honest, really (and I mean REALLY) revvy V6 engine, which yeah sure isn't that powerful, but very willing.

Also, an acquired taste I'm sure... but I thought it looked really cool... this is mine:

JP

Also... just read all of the above comments. Anyone that tells you it's a rebadged probe hasn't done their research properly :-P

It shares the same floorpan, as many fords and Mazda's did and continue to do so. BUT. The engine is different, (in my opinion it's better as it's so revvy), it has different suspension, the gearbox is completely different etc etc.

Also, worth noting - when we put mine on the dyno... bone stock with just a cheap crappy £5 air filter (sucking in hot air!) it made over 180hp.

My friend had a full stainless exhaust on his white one and it made nearly 190hp.

JP

Jap imports had different bits and a tastier engine, UK models are rebadged probes Smile
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2014, 11:14 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: Just check for tinworm, they suffer badly.

IMO there's more interesting bangers out there for the money, don't expect that V6 to burble and howl like anything special.

No rust on it anywhere mate, and actually it sounds EPIC!

(29-08-2014, 11:33 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I just dont get why your considering this when you have the merc?

If you wanted something of that ilk then the Mondeo is the more powerful, faster, better handling, more comfortable, more practical and IMO prettier option. I don't think there is a single factor worth considering where the Mazda/Probe beats the Mondeo.

I'm not really bothered mate, I don't compare everything, I take a car on it's merits alone. I'm not bothered if a Mondeo is a slightly better car, I don't like Mondeos. I love the look of this thing and having looked it over it's amazingly tidy under the dust.

(29-08-2014, 11:45 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: For £250 you can take it to the nearest track, thrash the f*ck out of it and if it go's pop just weigh it in.
You'll get half what you paid for it back as metal money anyways.

It is pretty low risk to be fair. It'd weigh in for £120 round here.

(30-08-2014, 04:18 AM)Pete Wrote: This replacing the Merc or a side project?

*Cough*406 Coupe!*cough*

Not sure really, probably a side project that the missus can use when she passes.

(30-08-2014, 06:01 AM)Piggy Wrote: Only done 900miles since last MOT....

Give it a THOROUGH going over. Remember my 206 thread where I was a complete idiot and trusted the guy.. It had done 500miles since MOT....I rekon the tester didnt even see the car!

No offence mate but as I said in your 206 thread, buying any car without checking it over thoroughly is f*cking stupid. That goes 10x over for a car that's been off the road, although I've done this before so I know to factor in that it'll probably need new tyres all round, new cambelt, full service, new brake fluid and a few other bits as a minimum!

(30-08-2014, 08:23 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(29-08-2014, 04:17 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: @Matt-Rallye - Anything specific wrong with it bud? Or just generally crap to drive?

I drove one hard.. genuinely scared me just how unresponsive / sluggish it is and the handling is probably sharper in a landrover.

They honestly dont have any redeeming features whatsoever, shit on fuel, look gay, dont go well, dont handle and certainly not comfortable to cruise in either!

Also the guy was saying it needs constant maintenance (i know its old now and 306's are no better) but parts are hard to come buy 2nd hand and very expensive / hard too source new.

IMHO i would hold onto your hard earned and wait for something with abit more flair or rarity value / desirability if your looking at it from an investment view. You would be hard pushed to make a profit on it after buying it, keeping i for X amount of years and then re-commisioning it for the road (MOT / parts / etc)

Just my 2p worth and in no way an experts opinion, i would also recommend giving it the benefit of the doubt if only to test drive it (on private roads of course Wink ) ad decide for yourself.

Matt

Thanks for that man, good to hear an informed first-hand opinion. Not looking at it from an investment point of view, just like the look of the car to be honest.

(30-08-2014, 08:46 AM)jammapic Wrote: Liam,

JP

JP

Again, thanks for that mate. Pretty much what I was hoping for, and nice to know it's not too similar to a Probe. Like the look of yours as well.

Well, been to see it. It's been parked for 14 years in a garage. The owner got a company car when it was 5 years old and decided to run that for a while because it was free and came with a fuel card, and just kind of forgot the Mazda. When he retired in 2010 he was gonna get it out but then bought a brand new Brera, now his son is selling the Mazda. Under the dust, it is frigging immaculate, no rust or marks absolutely anywhere, and it's had oil poured down the bores so with a charged battery, it fired up after 30 seconds cranking with shitloads of smoke an an uneven idle, but after 30 mins idling it's smooth and the smoke has cleared. Sounds utterly brilliant, and everything works, even the electric aerial and tape deck. Tyres are f*cked as is the battery but that's to be expected...

I said I'd think it over. Just had a 200 quid insurance quote as well...
Thanks given by:
If you don't buy it, I will....
JP
Thanks given by:
(30-08-2014, 12:26 PM)jammapic Wrote: If you don't buy it, I will....
Want me to pass his details on if I don't? It's in Sherburn-in-Elmet.
Thanks given by:
Sure, they dont look like much completely standard.

But I suspect that with minimal mods they will look excellent. Much better than the probe. Decent handler too apparently (I have no experience with it)

Possible underrated coupe the MX6.

[Image: 1996_mazda_mx-6_2_dr_ls_coupe-pic-14544.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Rwd? Revvy v8 with ~180bhp for £250 that's all the info you need right there?

If you get it and change your mind for any reason I'll give you what you paid can never have too many drift slags
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Sadly they are a V6... and Fwd.... and 160bhp...

But good car all the same! Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Mazda or ford knowledge please Slam Wagon 12 2,970 07-11-2014, 12:37 AM
Last Post: procta