Halfords MOT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Halfords MOT
Shocked 
Got my first ever MOT coming up at the end of the month and I'm nervous haha. I found halfords do an mot for £29.95 would they be any good to go too?
Thanks given by:
Personally I wouldnt.. we had a customer have 1 from halfords and it failed (first mot car was only 3 years old and done 20 something thousand) they brought it to us, and it didnt fail on ANYTHING, not even an advisory.
Thanks given by:
Problem with cheap MOT's from large franchises is they'll 'find' something to fail it on...

Better to go to an independent imo, plenty of them also do cheap MOTs as well.
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 07:56 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Problem with cheap MOT's from large franchises is they'll 'find' something to fail it on...

That. They charge so little for a mot because they WILL find something wrong and then make their money from the "repairs" needed.
A good genuine independent garage is the way to go. Might be more expensive but will more than likely pass and at least you are supporting you're local garage rather than a major company who won't miss the money!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Another option is to find yourself a place which does MOTs only, they have no incentive to fail your car as they don't do repairs and you get a fair test. If it fails do the repairs yourself (if your handy with a spanner) or book it in somewhere.
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 07:58 PM)Niall Wrote:
(26-08-2014, 07:56 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Problem with cheap MOT's from large franchises is they'll 'find' something to fail it on...

That. They charge so little for a mot because they WILL find something wrong and then make their money from the "repairs" needed.
A good genuine independent garage is the way to go. Might be more expensive but will more than likely pass and at least you are supporting you're local garage rather than a major company who won't miss the money!

+1

There was somebody on here who had their car fail on what was effectively lies.

Ive also heard of KwikFit failing people on tyres etc, yet 'throw away' the old ones before any inspection is possible. Not only is this against trading standards regulations (all replaced parts have to be readily available to inspect and/or retain unless otherwise stated by the customer) but also sets alarm bells ringing IMO.

As said, independent garage any day of the week Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I would be weary of these crap chain places. Local places are more friendly and will probably care about repeat custom. Halfords on what I suspect is poor wages and high throughput won't give a shit apart from making money. They probably have some weekly targets or some shit where they have to meet as well.
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 08:05 PM)SRowell Wrote: I would be weary of these crap chain places. Local places are more friendly and will probably care about repeat custom. Halfords on what I suspect is poor wages and high throughput won't give a shit apart from making money. They probably have some weekly targets or some shit where they have to meet as well.

They do have weekly targets, but their staff are also on performance based incentive backed wages.

Recipe for disaster IMO
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Same as main dealers tbh though, most of those are on Bonus schemes as well, customer satisfaction really isn't high on the list lol, speed is paramount...

It also depends how you are perceived by the guys that work there though I think, I did have an MOT done at Halfords, and they knew I knew a bit about cars as I'd told them about a few problems I was having (broken Lambda that was rusted in!) and they passed it no problem, just a few generic Peugeot advisories (oil leak, EML, shit handbrake, the usual Tongue ).

However my Mum, not a car person at all, took her (then) 4 year old car to the same garage for the MOT and they conned her into paying £30 odd for headlight alignment! Confused
Thanks given by:
Or come to me, sure I've got a flyer for £29
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 08:20 PM)Connor Wrote: Or come to me, sure I've got a flyer for £29

That would be awesome mate! Where is it you work again? And thanks guys for all the info that's helped me a lot Smile
Thanks given by:
Trust Ford lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 08:54 PM)Connor Wrote: Trust Ford lol

Fair enough Smile if I can get an mot from you that would be great Smile how do I book it?
Thanks given by:
I've had two of my mot's done by Kiwkfit when I had the hdi. Neither time did they pull up anything that didn't need pulling up, so that particular place gets my approval but it was in bradford
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Txt me tomorrow mate of when you want it done
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 09:08 PM)lolsteve Wrote: I've had two of my mot's done by Kiwkfit when I had the hdi. Neither time did they pull up anything that didn't need pulling up, so that particular place gets my approval but it was in bradford

Yeah I expect it can vary depending on how the feel that day haha

(26-08-2014, 09:13 PM)Connor Wrote: Txt me tomorrow mate of when you want it done

Will do mate, thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 08:02 PM)Tom85 Wrote: Another option is to find yourself a place which does MOTs only, they have no incentive to fail your car as they don't do repairs and you get a fair test. If it fails do the repairs yourself (if your handy with a spanner) or book it in somewhere.

A lot of council run places have started offering MoT tests to the public, but as they don't do repairs they shouldn't pick up anything just to make a little extra on the fixing of it. I'm pretty sure somewhere like the ambulance station did it back when Iived in Gloucester.
Thanks given by:
if a place does MOTs (including council run places) they legally HAVE to offer mot's to the public, as to bus depots and anywhere that offers an MOT..

the best bit about these places is they will make no money off of any repairs as they dont offer them, so will be a lot less likely fail them
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I went to a halfords in castleford. Stopped test apparently due to excessive smoke. Nothing really for an old tu engine and the handbrakes cable been cabletied up to the trailing arm. Went over road to gordens tyres a straight pass
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
I use Halfords auto centre for mots as I m work /use to work next to them and get on well with them . never really had issues with mots from them passed every time with each car I take (I do look after the cars tho ) wouldnt recommend them for repairs / services tho :/
Thanks given by:
I take my cars to Halfords, had quite a few down there and they've always been really decent.
Thanks given by:

Have to agree with these guys take it to an independent mot tester.
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 12:12 PM)Gaz85 Wrote:

Have to agree with these guys take it to an independent mot tester.

Yeah getting it done by Connor Smile
Thanks given by:
awwww sweet man my 306 not long shot through mot with no advisories so with some luck your's will to man i shall keep my finger's crossed and pray to the mot gods that it passes lmfao.
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 12:58 PM)Gaz85 Wrote: awwww sweet man my 306 not long shot through mot with no advisories so with some luck your's will to man i shall keep my finger's crossed and pray to the mot gods that it passes lmfao.

Haha thanks man Smile I'm so nervous, first ever MOT so I hope it goes well
Thanks given by:
I'd never get one done at a fast fit place, too many horror stories.

Got my last one done by Poodle.
Thanks given by:
My estate had its last one done by poodle... literally its last one!
Thanks given by:
Yeah happy I'm going with someone on the forum Smile gives me a lot more hope that it will pass haha
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 05:46 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: Yeah happy I'm going with someone on the forum Smile gives me a lot more hope that it will pass haha

I wouldn't necessarily have more hope that it would pass but more hope that it is done fairly, honestly and thoroughly.
Thanks given by:
This thread has reminded me of some amusing advisories on my car MOTd at Halfords by a previous owner a few years ago:

[Image: eza8yvam.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Halfords Pgtips 3 1,628 08-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Last Post: Toms306