problem with Vauxhall Vectra 2.2diesel Elite

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
problem with Vauxhall Vectra 2.2diesel Elite
Hi all, as you know i have just posted a thread about a saab which i had a problem with and now i got another problem with a vauxhall vectra 2.2 diesel elite which i brought for £695 with a spanner car light on thinking it was an easy fix, i had changed the glow plugs and changed the camsharft sensor, after a couple of days the light came back on then i called the rac breakdown service which cleared the code and same thing the light came back on, i dont know what eles it is either than one of the wires is dogdy? Any ideas? I would appreciate the help.. thanks..
[Image: Cropped%20pic.png]
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
What code you getting mate?
Thanks given by:
When you say a spanner light, do you mean the vehicle service light? Or is it a fault light such as the EML or similar?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Tell you the truth it like a car light with a spanner in the middle, so i guessing it is a eml light as when i brought it the previous owner said it was a eml light. dont know how to say it, i dont know what the code was as the rac came and cleared it.
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
In the future ask for a print out of the codes. If they don't have the capability to print from their reader, then take a photo or write them down. They come up for a reason, and you could save yourself upwards of £60 for diagnostics reading at a garage.

Get a photo up of this light you are talking about Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
The spanner light on Vauxhalls is the emmisions light. Usually an EGR valve broken or similar...
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 07:31 PM)Toms306 Wrote: The spanner light on Vauxhalls is the emmisions light. Usually an EGR valve broken or similar...

Thats what I was thinking.. common as hell on the dtis.. along with fuel pumps, leak off pipes and glowplugs even though it rarely uses them
Thanks given by:
I'm not familiar with the 2.2 tbh, a 1.9CDTi I could list all the faults though! Dodgy
Thanks given by:
Lol cheers lads, i will get a spanner light up soon and as i said this was cheap for a 2.2 but in future i am guna stick with 1.9, had my 306 hdi1.9 for three years now with no problems, touch wood hope it stays like that..
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
Mine must be a good one tbh, has 204k on it now on original engine, original timing chain etc.. not had one problem with the engine in 25k miles and the other 30k ive serviced it for lol apart from ripping gearbox mount off twice..

Josh, any other problems like limp mode etc? Could also be MAF added to the list lol
Thanks given by:
as i recall, the Engine light appears for the Emissions. the car with a spanner, thats generally heralded as a more severe light and usually puts the car into limp mode.

2.2 direct petrol did it when the HP fuel pump blew up on me, car went into limp and was missing as the fuel pressure was too low, that car with a spanner came on. if i removed the plug for the lambda or the maf then the engine light came on.

we could do with the codes for more accurate diagnostics though :-(

[Image: 20-spanner.jpg]

that the light you are on about?

dont know if this will work for the 2.2 diesel, but try pressing the accelerator and the brake pedal down, turn the ignition to 2 (not starting it)

do any codes appear in the mileage display?
Thanks given by:
Here is the light..

(26-08-2014, 07:28 PM)Grant Wrote: In the future ask for a print out of the codes. If they don't have the capability to print from their reader, then take a photo or write them down. They come up for a reason, and you could save yourself upwards of £60 for diagnostics reading at a garage.

Get a photo up of this light you are talking about Smile
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 07:45 PM)Josh1994 Wrote: Lol cheers lads, i will get a spanner light up soon and as i said this was cheap for a 2.2 but in future i am guna stick with 1.9, had my 306 hdi1.9 for three years now with no problems, touch wood hope it stays like that..

I didn't realise you had one of those rare 1.9 HDis. All of ours are 2.0 litre. Wink

(26-08-2014, 07:49 PM)lh_4827 Wrote: as i recall, the Engine light appears for the Emissions. the car with a spanner, thats generally heralded as a more severe light and usually puts the car into limp mode.

It's definitely emmisions... Its the one that comes up with a faulty EGR valve. Also comes up when you blank the EGR, but after so many miles that settles to the EML. If it's under load/uphill when it's coming on, its almost certainly the EGR stuck open. From experience lol!
Thanks given by:
Sorry for the image as it isnt clear, if i call the rac out i will defo get the codes now..
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
Ahh another I forgot is the swirl valves.. yes even the shitty old dtis had them, if inlet manifold is gunked up they could be blocked. And the MAP sensor, might be worth taking that off and giving it a clean out
Thanks given by:
Lol tom my mistake, 2.0l hdi keep thinking its a 1.9 as on the logbook says 1997 but counts as 2.0l, when im driving it uphill downhill same level the light comes on, i dont know what you mean by blank egr valve, i got told it was the EML light.
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
STEP 1:

Get inside your vehicle a firmly place yourself in your seat. Once in, press both the accelerate and brake pedal together

STEP 2:

With both pedals pressed, put your key in the ignition and turn it to position 2, which is the position that switches all auxilary heating on but not the engine

STEP 3:

Once done, the spanner light will start flashing

if it flashes 10 times it means the number is '0' and any other flashes corresponds to a number with a pause between each number

for example code P0110
the light will flash ten times then pause (2sec Or 1 not sure) flash once, (2sec pause) flash once, (2 sec pause) then flash ten times
Thanks given by:
Bloody hell that is good, lol about the gearbox mount, how much did that cost u.. it goes into get me home mode, i dont know if they call it the limp mode probably yes.

(26-08-2014, 07:46 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Mine must be a good one tbh, has 204k on it now on original engine, original timing chain etc.. not had one problem with the engine in 25k miles and the other 30k ive serviced it for lol apart from ripping gearbox mount off twice..

Josh, any other problems like limp mode etc? Could also be MAF added to the list lol

Will that take the spanner light off or know if it is a code, i dont want to mess up the car more, if it is ok to do so i will do it tomorrow and let you guys know.. thanks mate..

(26-08-2014, 08:10 PM)lh_4827 Wrote: STEP 1:

Get inside your vehicle a firmly place yourself in your seat. Once in, press both the accelerate and brake pedal together

STEP 2:

With both pedals pressed, put your key in the ignition and turn it to position 2, which is the position that switches all auxilary heating on but not the engine

STEP 3:

Once done, the spanner light will start flashing

if it flashes 10 times it means the number is '0' and any other flashes corresponds to a number with a pause between each number

for example code P0110
the light will flash ten times then pause (2sec Or 1 not sure) flash once, (2sec pause) flash once, (2 sec pause) then flash ten times
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
Just an idea to try that, pinched from Corsa C forum. will onlt allow you to read the codes, not clear them. i used to have all the gear for reading vx codes and such but i think i left it in the car when the insurers took it to be scrapped.

and that light is not "definitely emissions" it will come on for electrical faults, ECU faults and low fuel pressure, misfires, timing faults. All experienced by myself with the corresponding fault codes to go with them.
Thanks given by:
Where is this map sensor?

(26-08-2014, 08:08 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Ahh another I forgot is the swirl valves.. yes even the shitty old dtis had them, if inlet manifold is gunked up they could be blocked. And the MAP sensor, might be worth taking that off and giving it a clean out
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
Its on inlet manifold, 10mm bolt holding it on cant remember which side
Thanks given by:
So the flashing light will tell me that it is a electrical fault etc, how will i know?

(26-08-2014, 08:14 PM)lh_4827 Wrote: Just an idea to try that, pinched from Corsa C forum.

and that light is not "definitely emissions" it will come on for electrical faults, ECU faults and low fuel pressure, misfires, timing faults. All experienced by myself with the corresponding fault codes to go with them.

Ok will have a look tomorrow..

(26-08-2014, 08:16 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Its on inlet manifold, 10mm bolt holding it on cant remember which side
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 08:16 PM)Josh1994 Wrote: So the flashing light will tell me that it is a electrical fault etc, how will i know?

(26-08-2014, 08:14 PM)lh_4827 Wrote: Just an idea to try that, pinched from Corsa C forum.

Ok will have a look tomorrow..

The flashing light will give you a code if you count the flashes. from there you can get the standard OBD code and google it or post it in here.

List of all the dash lights on a vectra just for reference
http://www.diagnostic-world.com/pages/ve...200575.cfm
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 08:14 PM)lh_4827 Wrote: Just an idea to try that, pinched from Corsa C forum. will onlt allow you to read the codes, not clear them. i used to have all the gear for reading vx codes and such but i think i left it in the car when the insurers took it to be scrapped.

Sorry, you are right. I've got it arse about face...well Vaux have tbh! The light that is the EML in every other car (engine shape) is the emmisons light on Vauxhalls, the spanner light is the actual EML instead, so can be any engine/electrical fault.
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 08:21 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Sorry, you are right. I've got it arse about face...well Vaux have tbh! The light that is the EML in every other car (engine shape) is the emmisons light on Vauxhalls, the spanner light is the actual EML instead, so can be any engine/electrical fault.

Total agreement with you there, they did get it a bit backward. and i was getting all kinds of faults listed as indication of defective coil packs, maf sensors failing, knock sensor dialling back the ignition timing, no mention of the Low fuel pressure that was the actual cause of the issue lol.

ended up noticing on a live diag that the fuel pump was not delivering the desired pressure and figured it out from there. VX were useless too, telling me it was 2 totally different things.
Thanks given by:
Oh sorry, cheers guys great help i will do it tomorrow to see the code and will list it on here and google it... Again thanks..
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
Well got the rac person to have a look at the car and asked for the code, but the person was arrogant and deleted the code so i managed to see the first three which starts with P01, there was a pipe which manages the turbo and plugs into the EGR Valve, which had a hole in it, he selotaped it in black insulation tape and plugged it back in thinking it was that, my mum drove it home and the light came on then two seconds later went off, my dad had a look at it and took the pipe off then started the car for 20minutes which the light didnt come on, so wasnt that, i dont know what eles it is, it could be the map sensor which i will take off and give a good clean.
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
P01...good start, could only be 99 options then. Tongue

The small pipe sounds like a vacuum pipe, a broken or missing one will cause problems! If its the EGR one though, it just means the EGR wont open if its removed... Just hope its not the brake servo one... Confused
Thanks given by:
Aside from the spanner light, you need the code or to give us a description of any running faults, else we're all pissing in the wind frankly.

Having just spent an evening diagnosing a Zafira dti for hot starting faults for a colleague, they are plagued by three main problems as far as I could see.

1) injector leak off pipes - this is the cluster of small rubber pipes that come away from the head, above the EGR valve. They are known to perish, and are overbraided iirc so not that obvious. new ones cost pennies.
2) EGR valve - standard diesel EGR issues, like to clog to buggery
3) Injector washers - not the copper ones at the bottom but the neoprene (?) ones at the top - an injection arrangement I hadn't come across before but prone to issues.

Get the code....
Get the code...
Get the code..
Get the code.
GET THE CODE
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
I asked him twice for the code and he said he would tell me, but ended up deleting it on purpose because he was arrogant..

(28-08-2014, 06:47 AM)C2K Wrote: Aside from the spanner light, you need the code or to give us a description of any running faults, else we're all pissing in the wind frankly.

Having just spent an evening diagnosing a Zafira dti for hot starting faults for a colleague, they are plagued by three main problems as far as I could see.

1) injector leak off pipes - this is the cluster of small rubber pipes that come away from the head, above the EGR valve. They are known to perish, and are overbraided iirc so not that obvious. new ones cost pennies.
2) EGR valve - standard diesel EGR issues, like to clog to buggery
3) Injector washers - not the copper ones at the bottom but the neoprene (?) ones at the top - an injection arrangement I hadn't come across before but prone to issues.

Get the code....
Get the code...
Get the code..
Get the code.
GET THE CODE

He said it was something to do with a pipe which controls the turbo from the EGR valve.

(27-08-2014, 09:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote: P01...good start, could only be 99 options then. Tongue

The small pipe sounds like a vacuum pipe, a broken or missing one will cause problems! If its the EGR one though, it just means the EGR wont open if its removed... Just hope its not the brake servo one... Confused
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  any useful vauxhall forums?? doski 6 1,469 07-03-2016, 11:20 AM
Last Post: fgrc76
  2004 Vectra 1.9cdti clutch fault!? Piggy 10 1,993 23-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  vectra c 1.8 clutch problem td_dan 8 2,687 21-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Last Post: td_dan