Scary times!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scary times!
Went to westward ho today in Devon and had a great time until I drove home, had to do the whole journey (212 miles) on quarter of a tank -_- about 20 miles away from home it decided to start spluttering and picking up speed by itself and had noo power at all. So had to pull into a service station and wack a tenner in which only just got it off red.

Needless to say it scared me haha first time I've been in this situation. And to make matters worse my fuel gauge needle is in the wrong place. Red light comes on when it's about halfway between red and quarter of a tank.
Thanks given by:
Don't run it that low, you'll pull through shit from the bottom of the tank, and pulling air will damage both fuel pumps. Plus, it's illegal to drive on a motorway knowing you have to stop. Basically, don't do any of that shit.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2014, 03:45 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Don't run it that low, you'll pull through shit from the bottom of the tank,

Lol thats a myth mate. Where does the fuel come from even when the tank is full? The bottom. The pump has a gauze over it to stop it from dragging any big crap through (that could damage the pump) then you have the fuel filter for all the much finer stuff.

THE_Liam Wrote:and pulling air will damage both fuel pumps. Plus, it's illegal to drive on a motorway knowing you have to stop. Basically, don't do any of that shit.

That however is true. Run a pump dry and it will over heat and seize.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2014, 03:48 PM)Niall Wrote:
(25-08-2014, 03:45 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Don't run it that low, you'll pull through shit from the bottom of the tank,

Lol thats a myth mate. Where does the fuel come from even when the tank is full? The bottom. The pump has a gauze over it to stop it from dragging any big crap through (that could damage the pump) then you have the fuel filter for all the much finer stuff.

THE_Liam Wrote:and pulling air will damage both fuel pumps. Plus, it's illegal to drive on a motorway knowing you have to stop. Basically, don't do any of that shit.

That however is true. Run a pump dry and it will over heat and seize.

Yeah I thought I was fine but realised my fuel gauge is in the wrong place so I thought I had more. I've just reset my fuel gauge so now it should give a true(ish) reading
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2014, 04:11 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: I've just reset my fuel gauge so now it should give a true(ish) reading

Pfft, a true reading from a 306 fuel gauge? Confused lol

As above though, not a great idea to run it right down.
Thanks given by:
I've ran my 306's out of fuel 8 times now.

I'd say be careful because it gets old, but to be honest, it was never fun. I was miserable each time.
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2014, 04:13 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(25-08-2014, 04:11 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: I've just reset my fuel gauge so now it should give a true(ish) reading

Pfft, a true reading from a 306 fuel gauge? Confused lol

As above though, not a great idea to run it right down.

Yeah I can't get the needle set that well but it's close enough

(25-08-2014, 04:16 PM)Pebbles167 Wrote: I've ran my 306's out of fuel 8 times now.

I'd say be careful because it gets old, but to be honest, it was never fun. I was miserable each time.

Yeah I was panicking haha wasn't planning on running out but my gauge lies to me lol it's sorta set correctly now but not 100% sure
Thanks given by:
try driving a car with out a working fuel gauge and water temp gauge, that you had bought. I was worried as I didn't know how much fuel was left in, luckly for me, It had a full tank in and it just say 12 quid to top it up.
got home with out a bother. That was from Manchester to sunderland.
Thanks given by:
This reminds me, must add changing fuel filter to my list of things to do!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  f*cking people at times! procta 9 1,566 13-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Last Post: procta
  Talking of hard times at christmas... Sian 6 1,821 09-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Sian
  Life is So lovely at times isn't it? /Sarcasm... silestanix 27 10,336 28-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Last Post: Rich306