Squeaky steering pump?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squeaky steering pump?
I think my power steering pump is squeaking, the steering feels fine and operating the steering has no affect on the noise so I think the pump is fine, but I'm wondering does anyone know what I can do to stop the squeak?
Thanks given by:
WD40 down the bearing spindle seems to be a popular fix, although can't recommend it myself as i've never had the issue.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
WD40 only last a couple of days though in my experience. Only real fix is to swap the pump for a quieter one!
Thanks given by:
Might just leave a leaking can of wd40 beside it lol, don't want to have to buy a new pump
Thanks given by:
A pump is only £20 max if you're good on eBay. It's a half hour job to change. Not as bad as you may think.

Just bear in mind that as WD40 is a water displacing solution, it will dry out and perish rubber seals. Putting such solutions into the pump will only be a temporary fix and probably lead to more problems long term.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
It does look like enough change, I didn't realise they're available for as low as that. Maybe I'll put up with the sound until I can afford a new pump
Thanks given by:
There you go, wd40 is exactly as useful as expected then. lol
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Used a little bit of engine oil, drove around some more and there's much less squeaking Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hdi power steering pump? rd070707 11 2,399 31-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum