trouble after bosch pump upgrade

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trouble after bosch pump upgrade
Try pumping the hand primer while you.start it and why it's running see if it runs right, possibly be vane pump could be way off with that but had similar issues with my recent bosch pumps and when I kept pressing the hand grande it run and reved fine.

Thanks given by:
It does run fine for a couple of seconds when primed but then it starts to cough and smoke and die after the pressure has dropped. I was assured the pump was removed off a running car the day before it was sent to me so surely the vane pump should be ok.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like air or massively out of time. Or vanes are buggered
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Just try it to rule it out if it runs when pumped I'd say vanes and the pump has been without diesel in it and vanes are sticky

Thanks given by:
It's a strange one, all times up correctly I've checked it twice and can't be air everything is as tight as a nun all with new leak offs and the same with the old ones and no leaking diesel anywhere. I got the pump off Danny and he said it came off a running car and hadn't sat, it's gonna get to the stage when I just slap my old Lucas back on cos I'm gonna need a car for the winter. Is there any way of freeing up the vanes at all? Without having to do a pump rebuild as I'm not up for that
Thanks given by:
ive just read this whole thred to make sure no ones asked. on the bosch and lucas pumps where the fuel go into the pump from the filter is oposite if i remember so the fuel in and return maybe wrong just check the fuel from the filter go to the feed of the bosch not the return ive seen people mess this up a good few times now.
Thanks given by:
You using both timing pins for the fuel pump pulley?

And woodruff key was in place too?

Danny wouldnt sell a duffer
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Lines are on right I know Lucas fuel in is next to fuel filter and Bosch is at timing end I've also upgraded to 8mm lines. Used both timing pins on the pump and it is bang on, also the woodruff is in too. I'm really stuck as it seems the only thing that could be at fault is the pump but it came off a running car the day before it was sent and had diesel in it when it went on my car. It has been gov modded and lda ground but I haven't messed with any of the settings
Thanks given by:
What position is the pump in, timing wise, on the three bolts? If the scale was -5 to 5, 0 being the middle?

(I may have missed this, but are the injectors now bosch aswell?)
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I've advanced it from -5 to pretty much bang on 5 so it's at like 3 at the moment and no change at all, I thought it may have needed advancing st first but it didn't do anything. Yeah Bosch lines and injectors all on buddy
Thanks given by:
Pins ok on the timing...but theres no slack in the belt between crank and pump pulley???

It just sounds like timing so bad. Especially if it came off a running car.

get some pics of the setup up on here if you could
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I'll try get some tomorrow. timing is Bob on for sure. only way of really telling is getting my Lucas back on but then it would. have been a massive waste of time and money and it's back to a rubbish Lucas. it's got to be something I'm overlooking but I've tried everything
Thanks given by:
Try the hand grande why it's running, it's a 5 second job to try and if it makes no difference at least you tried.

Thanks given by:
It doesn't make a difference it can't keep the pressure up when priming while the car is running. if it's primed hard before I start it's ok for a few seconds then it starts to die and of constantly on the grenade it still coughs
Thanks given by:
Right the Bosch is going to have to go in the bin now I've spent too much time trying to get it to work. Replaced all the fuel lines and all with new jubilees done up right, replaced all the leak offs, timing is still spot on, advancing the pump doesn't make a difference and I even ran a bottle of diesel with the fuel in and fuel return into it so I bypassed the whole fuel system and it still barely ticked over and died. took it for a good run yesterday and ran ok when driving hard but underpowered and then when ticking over it starts to miss fire more and more and then chucks out white smoke and dies. Putting the Lucas back on next weekend this one must be shot :/
Thanks given by:
If the pumps for sale cheap I might be interested seen as your giving up on it Smile

Thanks given by:
How much fuel comes out the return when its running / trying to run?

Let me know,

If pump is left dry it will take around 2-3 days to tighten the vane pump up, if its left with veg in, its near enough game over for the pump without a rebuild.

Dont bin the pump either way..
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Where are you based? Maybe someone local can cast a fresh set of eyes on it?
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
(30-08-2014, 08:59 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Pump came from me ran fine on car, was off car 3 days before it was posted

You removed that junction box?

This the pump you got off me mate?

Things to check out this, as people may have already said;

Check timing bolts go all the way in with the belt fully taught and in place with correct timing sequence (Cam, Pump, Crank)
Check the woodruff key is in place and locating properly
Check the locating studs on the bracket
Check you're actually using the Bosch lines and not mixed with lucas ones (Think 1, 2, 4, 3?)
Check your in/out banjo bolts are correct as one bolt is restrictive to maintain pressure in pump
Check your in/out banjo bolts are connected to the in/out connections
Check your timing is advanced enough (You say it revs ok?)

More info on how it runs when started, how it revs, what happens with grenade etc, a video would be massively helpful Big Grin

The bosch pumps can run a stable idle with heaps of shit in them when you're still pumping the grenade...
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hi all I my just come back on here. threw my Lucas back on today and it ran fine as well as she did before so must have been the Bosch. I've still got the Bosch and it's stored with diesel but it can't be right as it refused to run no matter what I tried.

Darren, I can't really say how much fuel came out of return bit it was a steady flow coming back into the bottle when I bypassed the whole fuel system.

It was a pump from Danny not from you Dave. Danny said the pump was taken off the car the day before the courier collected it and it was stored with diesel in it as when I took pipes off he had put on diesel came out. Only thing I did notice was a red substance all round the pump, looked like dark red ink but it washed off with some diesel and a tooth brush.
Thanks given by:
I am working on a pump I stupidly left with veg in it and the old dried veg looks like red ink.
Thanks given by:
So if a pump is left on a car with veg in is it gunna be the same? If so I'm screwed
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Was the pump set up in the middle of the slots when you fitted it?
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
I moved the studs to the Bosch position from the Lucas. originally it was set to the farthest retarded on the slots and kept advancing it but no difference no matter where it was positioned.
Thanks given by:
(19-10-2014, 08:44 PM)randomcaller Wrote: Hi all I my just come back on here. threw my Lucas back on today and it ran fine as well as she did before so must have been the Bosch. I've still got the Bosch and it's stored with diesel but it can't be right as it refused to run no matter what I tried.

Darren, I can't really say how much fuel came out of return bit it was a steady flow coming back into the bottle when I bypassed the whole fuel system.

It was a pump from Danny not from you Dave. Danny said the pump was taken off the car the day before the courier collected it and it was stored with diesel in it as when I took pipes off he had put on diesel came out. Only thing I did notice was a red substance all round the pump, looked like dark red ink but it washed off with some diesel and a tooth brush.

Danny bought a pump off me mate
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
He said this one he would be removing from the car and then sending it out. Had been gov modded, lda ground, had red dried veg around it and had some pipes on the fuel in and return and leak off all linked up to a black junction box just to make sure diesel didn't leak out.

This can't be the same pump can it as he said it was one he was removing from a car
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slack in bosch pump? dt_ 14 3,439 21-10-2020, 03:41 AM
Last Post: dt_
  Bosch pump help for newbie PugRy 2 1,990 05-01-2020, 09:09 PM
Last Post: jamie182
  Bosch pump fuel screw broken Forby 0 1,491 12-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Forby