throttle position sensor what does it Do ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
throttle position sensor what does it Do ?
have had a fault over the last few days with this peugeot 306, and have tried a few things, but this morning thought i try disconnecting the throttle position sensor, the car runs spot on no bucking, or misfiring at all. original fault was with me cleaning the engine bay and degreasing and the car has not run since doing this... does this point to a faulty throttle position sensor or is this not doing something i suspect the throttle position sensor dictates how much fuel should be flowing i.e. injector duration ? so the car will be running very lean.... i cant see that the coil pack is at fault now, or does the throttle position sensor adjust the amount of advance and retard, and alter timing to the coil....

please advise
Thanks given by:
With it unplugged, stick a multimeter across is at read the resistances as you open and close the throttle.

Normally a dudd or unplugged TPS will cause the car to not rev correctly and generally run like a bag if shit.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by: Xsikid
Grant,

i have removed it, and put a meter across it and there does not seem to be much variation across the range,, have tried all 3 terminals, as it must be the same as a potentiometer... variable resistor...

would be curious to know how it fuels with it out...does it rely on the map sensor to sense vacuum and add fuel or is there something else that senses... car seems to run with it out, and unplugged and that misfire at low revs is definitely gone... have got another one coming though.. in a few days... i wont be sing the car over the next few days, so will be doing a bit of research in to what effect it has...
Thanks given by: