Vibrating speedo needle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vibrating speedo needle
I've got a problem with my speedo needle. It flutters around all over the place and I take the approximation of the middle of the fluttering as my actual speed Smile
I've searched and can find an exact match, but I've seen this type of issue in other French stuff, so I'm sure it's common.
It doesn't go away or get any better or worse through the range, but it's less noticeable when accelerating.

Question is, what is the problem?
I found this info:

Quote:Phase 1's upto around late 1995 ish are full mechanical speedo (ie cable driven)

Late Phase 1's (late 1995-1996 ish) are semi-electric speedo (ie electrically driven but with mechanical odometer)

So I'm likely on the crossover and could be either tech.
If it is electrical I'd think it's the sender naturally.

But if I'm fully mech, what's the problem likely to be ?
Still the sender ?
Thanks given by:
It'll likely be the cable if it's a mechanical (cable) driven speedo, although it's not unheard of for the speedo itself or speedo drive in the gearbox to cause issues too.

You can tell which you have from just glancing at the clocks btw - the fully mechanical (cable) setup has the 0 and 140mph near the bottom of the clocks by the reset pin, whereas the electronic ones have 0 and 140 at nearer 8 and 4 o'clock respectively.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Mech then. 0 is vertically downwards.

So it's the cable ? frayed and snapped or catching on itself ?
Thanks given by:
Just to clarify what I meant, this is the cable driven setup from an earlier Phase 1:

[Image: m7fVLlo3bUBVkod7CVSp2Gg.jpg]

And this is the later cable-less setup that's electronically driven (but still with a mechanical odometer) from a late Phase 1:

[Image: m8xfAtqhAPaM7LSb0aP_lkg.jpg]

The usual issue with the cable is that the grease inside dries up and causes the cable inner to no longer rotate smoothly, leading to the needle shake.

I don't know how bad 306's are for it as I've predominantly had later cars with the electronic odometer, but 205 GTi owners will be very familiar with the symptoms you've got as it was one of the shortcomings on the RHD models where Peugeot in their ultimate wisdom routed the speedo cable above the exhaust manifold, causing the speedo cables to dry up, shake and - eventually - fail altogether.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
For Nominous: I have no way to contact you I cant send pm's or post to the sale section, is there any update as to when I will receive the Greddy Profec B boost controller?

Cheers
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the speedo cable. Im speaking from experience here when i say, don't be cheap and buy a genuine one. I had the same thing with my 106 and went through 3 cables in a year. Seems non genuine ones are just crap
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(21-08-2014, 05:43 PM)Niall Wrote: Sounds like the speedo cable. Im speaking from experience here when i say, don't be cheap and buy a genuine one. I had the same thing with my 106 and went through 3 cables in a year. Seems non genuine ones are just crap

Agreed - I've had no end of issues with pattern cables failing prematurely. I think my record was the new pattern one shaking worse than the presumably 20 year old one within 5 miles... needless to say I wasn't impressed!

Either buy a new OE one or get a low mileage original from someone breaking a car.
Thanks given by:
No easy fix, well costs money. Will live with it.

BTW Ican, you should certainly have it by now ?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rev Counter Needle RetroPug 2 854 05-04-2016, 08:15 PM
Last Post: RetroPug