New car tax

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New car tax
Has anyone heard anything about this new car tax thing, apparently you have to register online and all that shizz then do your car tax but if you screw it up it's a thousand pound fine the robbing sods. also are the changes starting from october because someone told me the other day that it had been delayed until november now because of computer issue's. Huh

So what does everyone think of the new paperless car tax and also the option to pay monthly ?
Thanks given by:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

There was a big thread on it somewhere a while ago. The only benefit I can see from it is being able to pay monthly, the rest is just a way of them making yet more money.
Thanks given by:
(20-08-2014, 08:35 PM)Curt Wrote: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

There was a big thread on it somewhere a while ago. The only benefit I can see from it is being able to pay monthly, the rest is just a way of them making yet more money.

Yea i like the fact that you can pay monthly and i agree it is yet another way to milk the road user for even more money again not sure about your car tax cost curt but mine's £230 this year which imo is a disgrace more so when you look at the state of the road's.

I'm waiting for them to change the mot now so they can shaft you on that as well as the car tax.
Thanks given by:
I still haven't worked out why they don't add it onto the cost of fuel

Oh no, I have. Its so that they can keep a few thousand unskilled mouth breathers who would otherwise be unemployed in a "job" to fiddle the unemployed figures and prevent them breeding for at least 8 hours of the day which limits their ability to pump even more mouth breathers into a slum with no purpose as there is f*ck all in Swansea there apart from the DVLA.
Thanks given by:
(20-08-2014, 08:52 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I still haven't worked out why they don't add it onto the cost of fuel

Oh no, I have. Its so that they can keep a few thousand unskilled mouth breathers who would otherwise be unemployed in a "job" to fiddle the unemployed figures and prevent them breeding for at least 8 hours of the day which limits their ability to pump even more mouth breathers into a slum with no purpose as there is f*ck all in Swansea there apart from the DVLA.

Damn man don't hold back will you lol not everyone in swansea are wasters some of us do constructive things, mind you that is a small amount.
Thanks given by:
I've just come back from three weeks in France, and over there the road tax IS included in the cost if fuel, and diesel is still only €1.27ish with petrol at €1.50ish. So I made sure I filled up before getting back on the ferry !

This new method is certainly better than having to find a lump sum every 6/12 months though.

I agree the roads are in a shocking state but then "road tax" isn't actually anything to do with the condition of the roads it's an "environmental" thing.
Thanks given by:
Baahahahahhaa, I don't think Dum checked the OP's location before posting that lol.

Agree with his point though, if they tagged it onto fuel they could actually reduce the overall rates due to the massive savings on the logistics and organisation of it all.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
(20-08-2014, 09:19 PM)Gaz85 Wrote:
(20-08-2014, 08:52 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I still haven't worked out why they don't add it onto the cost of fuel

Damn man don't hold back will you lol not everyone in swansea are wasters some of us do constructive things, mind you that is a small amount.

Yeah sorry, obviously there is a few humans that live in swansea but the DVLA annoys me as it is largely to stop swansea being an unemployment capital. It could be made loads more efficient with less staff but if theres nobody working there then not only is it DVLA staff unemployed but basically the whole of swansea is DVLA/DVLA staff support as without the DVLA staff earning then the shops and other places wouldn't sell so much and so their staff would become unemployed and it would be a massive downward spiral.

I was confident you weren't DVLA staff as you posted a coherent question that could be understood by other humans.
Thanks given by:
If you normally pay 6 monthly, then you will save money as the monthly payment method only has a 5% surcharge.

Dont forget, road tax does NOT pay for road repairs!

I also like not having a tax disc in my windscreen!

Yes it be great if it was on fuel.....perfect solution imho.....but its not guna happen and therefore the changes are an improvement imo
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I like the pay monthly thing, and the automatic refund when you sell a a car.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(20-08-2014, 10:27 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(20-08-2014, 09:19 PM)Gaz85 Wrote:

Yeah sorry, obviously there is a few humans that live in swansea but the DVLA annoys me as it is largely to stop swansea being an unemployment capital. It could be made loads more efficient with less staff but if theres nobody working there then not only is it DVLA staff unemployed but basically the whole of swansea is DVLA/DVLA staff support as without the DVLA staff earning then the shops and other places wouldn't sell so much and so their staff would become unemployed and it would be a massive downward spiral.

I was confident you weren't DVLA staff as you posted a coherent question that could be understood by other humans.

don't worry mate i may have been born here but the first chance i get i'm out of this hell hole. I get what your saying some of the complete retards i get the misfortune of meeting is shocking. the problem with swansea is it's just too far down the m4 it's a shame because swansea used to be such a nice place.

(21-08-2014, 06:26 AM)Piggy Wrote: If you normally pay 6 monthly, then you will save money as the monthly payment method only has a 5% surcharge.

Dont forget, road tax does NOT pay for road repairs!

I also like not having a tax disc in my windscreen!

Yes it be great if it was on fuel.....perfect solution imho.....but its not guna happen and therefore the changes are an improvement imo

i have to pay my tax yearly, if i pay 6 monthly it falls on the same time my car insurance and mot is due ok it only happens once a year but i'm sure most will understand thats a stack of money to go out in one month.

To bad road tax doesn't pay for the road repairs the amount of money it costs to tax a car these days we would probably have the best condition roads in europe lol.

(21-08-2014, 10:45 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: I like the pay monthly thing, and the automatic refund when you sell a a car.

Me too it makes it easier for those on a low income or just starting out, as for the automatic tax refund yea i think that's a good thing when selling a car because you can use it towards taxing another car should you purchase another one.
Thanks given by:
The majority if roads in France over the past three weeks were fantastic - and almost empty into the bargain !

Plus their MoT is only once every two years.
Thanks given by:
MOT every 2 years is a stupid idea, should be every 6 months if you ask me.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
I guess it depends. You do see a lot of old cars over there, but even they are pretty mint - we saw loads of 2CVs, Citroen C15 vans and even some original DSs - whereas over here older cars are quite often sheds and therefore need more regular inspections.
Thanks given by:
The MOT is a crap test anyway, so many loopholes etc.

Spain also only have their MOT (ITV) every 2 years, but its a much more thorough test, so if the French one is similar that's better imo. Then again, warmer weather in those places mean less salty, damp, mud everywhere which just ruins cars...
Thanks given by:
Exactly that...wish I could stay over there to be honest. Much more pleasant driving experience.
Thanks given by:
(21-08-2014, 10:45 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: I like the pay monthly thing, and the automatic refund when you sell a a car.

Is it automatic ?
I thought it was your responsibility to claim it back, but only that you were not allowed to sell it with the car.

So then the question is, how do you buy a second hand car?
You need insurance, which day insure can cover, but what about tax?
If it's all online then the system will check MID to see if there is insurance.
If you've day insurance, no guarantee the check will come back positive.
So you have to drive it home untaxed because it's illegal to sell it with tax?

Or have they been "kind" enough to give a few days grace ?

BTW, if it's all computer based then it would be possible to calculate a daily refund rate. Bet that doesn't happen.
So due to the requirement for refunds, they'll effectively make more revenue as the car will be taxed twice for the same month by the buyer and the seller...
Thanks given by:
Its all bull crap. As someone mentioned before if its all computerised and disc less why the hell cant you start the tax on the day you purchase it rather then losing out days if got in the middle of the mth etc
Thanks given by:
(21-08-2014, 03:00 PM)nominous Wrote:

Is it automatic ?
I thought it was your responsibility to claim it back, but only that you were not allowed to sell it with the car.

My understanding is that when they gwt the V5 back they automatically issue a rebate to the person who was the registered keeper.
Thanks given by:
http://www.raccars.co.uk/news/article/28...om-october

"One of the new rules prohibits sellers from passing on the outstanding period of road tax with the sale of a car."

"Car owners must also be vigilant in ensuring that the DVLA is informed of any change of car ownerships, and any unused tax cannot be transferred with the vehicle. Drivers, instead, will need to claim a refund for the remaining taxation period."

That's why I'm saying cos I'd only read that one.
But reading what you are saying, one can read the RAC article differently.

So off to DVLA who say:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

Buying a vehicle
From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle.
You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle.

Selling a vehicle
If you sell a vehicle after 1 October and you have notified DVLA, you will automatically get a refund for any full calendar months left on the vehicle tax.

So unfortunately, we are both right.
You will get an auto refund (but I'll wager it wont be from the date of transfer and in the first couple of months it'll be news that the DVLA is effectively stealing a month worth of tax whilst the refund goes through from one month into the next).

But the suggestion is from the DVLA that you must retax it before you can drive the car away.
It will for a period have two sets of tax and the DVLA will get a months worth of tax for the car twice because both the buyer and seller will have had to tax it in that month.
This means they are making more revenue through the back door.
Bastards.

If I buy a car, I need to go to a post office as well on the day before driving away, or chance it and risk a 1000quid fine.

BTW, I taxed the 306 the other day and the PO didn't look for proof of insurance and at the time, the car didn't have any so it wasn't on MID.
So that means at least the PO doesn't check.
Which will be a good thing
NB: insurance started the next day - can't drive a car without tax. Can't drive your current car without insurance...
Thanks given by:
I think now you don't have to show a disc, you can tax a car online even when you've just bought it, seeing as there's no tax disc to be sent to the wrong address...
Thanks given by: