Great little engine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great little engine
Hi all

I'm glob smacked with my little 1.4 engine, the past 2 1/2 years I've been driving my tuned volvo v40 t4 with was running 250bhp which was great but on a full tank I could only get about 240 miles out of it and that was driving it normal but my job roll changed and the t4 was killing me in petrol for the miles I was now doing, so I looked around for a little engine motor so it would be cheap to run, I came across my 2001 306 meridian 1.4, very clean motor, well looked after, I give £450 for it and I love it! Can't believe how pokey it is for a 1.4 and how many miles I can get out of a full tank! When I fill it up I get around 450 to a tank which is bloody good! Glad I brought my little pug, it's like driving a go-kart Smile
Thanks given by:
Wait untill you get and xud or hdi then. Wink welcome along as im assuming you are new.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
T4 to 1.4, wrong way round lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yes I'm new here lol still got my t4 but just needed something with better mpg, it's a fun little car to drive just need to find a nice set of alloys for it Smile
Thanks given by:
Just wait until the gearbox packs in as well....the TU 'boxes are renowned for being effectively made of cheese. lol

I had 3 let go on me in the space of 2 years. (And no, it wasn't JUST down to the way i drove it. Big Grin )
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Really? Gear box seems fine in mine Smile
Thanks given by:
Yeah, mine did to start with, but if it starts making a fast ticking kind of sound that stops when you use the clutch, start looking for a replacement 'box, as its on its way out. That said, i don't know how good the replacement boxes i got for mine were tbh, they could have been near death as well when i had them fitted. You just never know with second hand/scrapyard parts! Nospeak
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That's very true abut scrap yards, my mate went through a few gear boxes from one yard for his vectra, in the end he paid a company to strip his old box down and rebuild it very costly
Thanks given by:
I also had 3 gearboxes on one 1.4....BUT had 2 other 1.4s on the original gearbox, so they're not 'all' bad lol.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the heads up though guys Smile
Thanks given by:
Never done a gearbox on any tu's ive had but then they have been in 106 variants but wouldnt have thought they were that diffrent. Maybe ive been.lucky
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
It took me ages to find a good TU box for mine when I blew up the second one - most of the ones in scrapyards, even though the cars were drivable, when you took the end cover off for a peak inside they were half shagged already - mind you, most places put the wrong oil in 'em when they do any work on the clutch, etc - and the single linkage ones are a bastard to find at the best of times.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Nice to see someone who's happy with the smaller engined models. Don't think the 1.4 is bad at all myself, will probably get my lass one when she passes.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
I've driven the 1.4, and it seemed ok! Better than VW's one that was being produced slightly later.

I prefered the 100hp 1.4 in the 106 XSI though! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
had a 1.4 100bhp xsi, absolutely mental, non-cat one in miami blue, only thing i hated was the gearstick and tiny tiny pedal spacing
306 hdi 3dr moonstone
205 gti6 bare shell rebuild
m3 evolution coupe weekend hero
bmw x3 xdrive35d f25 313bhp nutter
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 09:43 AM)rikky Wrote: had a 1.4 100bhp xsi, absolutely mental, non-cat one in miami blue, only thing i hated was the gearstick and tiny tiny pedal spacing

Yes the 1.4 100 bhp XSI was great engine - very revvy! I also had the 1.6 XSI in the 106 but didn't find it as much fun Sadly they both suffered from major rust issues. Never driven a 1.4 306 but I'd imagine it to be quite nippy - espeically if it was an all aluminum block
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 10:13 AM)Tom85 Wrote:
(26-08-2014, 09:43 AM)rikky Wrote: had a 1.4 100bhp xsi, absolutely mental, non-cat one in miami blue, only thing i hated was the gearstick and tiny tiny pedal spacing

Yes the 1.4 100 bhp XSI was great engine - very revvy! I also had the 1.6 XSI in the 106 but didn't find it as much fun Sadly they both suffered from major rust issues. Never driven a 1.4 306 but I'd imagine it to be quite nippy - espeically if it was an all aluminum block

My 1.4 306 is very pokey, only brought it as a cheap run around but I love it, I call it the go-kart lol been thinking about a gti6 or a 1.9td
Thanks given by:
i've had 2 1.4 306's and thought they were crap tbh!
306 hdi 3dr moonstone
205 gti6 bare shell rebuild
m3 evolution coupe weekend hero
bmw x3 xdrive35d f25 313bhp nutter
Thanks given by:
Stick the T4 engine in the 306. That should sort everything out Smile
I've been looking into it as a possibility - they are a great engine, although mapping them isn't straight forward. The engine mounts don't line up that well and for the faff you'd want the noise a T5 makes.

GTi6 are rubbish on fuel unless they are very stripped out.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 10:30 AM)adam b Wrote: Stick the T4 engine in the 306. That should sort everything out Smile
I've been looking into it as a possibility - they are a great engine, although mapping them isn't straight forward. The engine mounts don't line up that well and for the faff you'd want the noise a T5 makes.

GTi6 are rubbish on fuel unless they are very stripped out.

I did think about it but it's a lot of messing about, mind you the pug would fly with that engine in it Smile
Thanks given by: