Perished Wishbone Bushes........Symptoms?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perished Wishbone Bushes........Symptoms?
Hi guys,

Basically my mate has a bad wheel wobble from his hdi meridian, its not the wheels and its not the tracking. Most other things look alright and can't find any play.....except pretty badly perished wishbone bushes, could these cause the problem? If not what problems would they cause when they need replacing as there aren't any other problems with handling or anything atm and my mates a bit of a tight arse lol so won't have anything done that doesn't need doing lol.
Thanks given by:
Tramlining is the main symptom, the car pulls all over the road as it hits bumps and things.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Clunking on speedbumps and potholes was my symptoms when mine went
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
really twitchy handling. When mine were going (just the drivers side) I was having to hack it over to the university test mine for my dissertation, and this one long right-hander was so sketchy, just wanted to swap ends seemingly.
If its a wobble through the steering wheel it could also be a f**ked wheel bearing.

If it's a big 'wobble' which increases with engine rpms in some gears, it could also be a driveshaft. When mine was going it got to the stage where if i accelerated in 2nd or 3rd it would shake the beading on the bonnet! The gearstick also looked like it was about to jump out...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Hmm ok cheers guys, annoyingly I don't have DOCs on my insurance so i can't drive it myself and just gotta go with his description.

Pretty sure its not the bearings as they all feel fine. Also don't think its driveshaft/gearbox related. Should've said its actually a high speed (50 plus) wheel wobble but he also said the wheels occasionaly feel 'loose' at slow speed like full lock in multi storey car parks.

He has tomorow off so I'll check stuff over again and ask if he gets tramlining or twitchy steering.
Thanks given by:
What i normally get is when you put the foot down it pulls one way and when you brake it goes the other way, but this can also be track rods, pull the hand brake on and put it in 1st and try pull away, then in reverse, should see the wheel move forwards and back in the arch if it is the bushes
Thanks given by:
Personally I would jack the car up, wedge a crow bar in somewhere on the wishbone and see if something moves more than others to the point where you would deem it, excessive Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:Personally I would jack the car up, wedge a crow bar in somewhere on the wishbone and see if something moves more than others to the point where you would deem it, excessive Smile
absolutely this . .^^^^^ . .that's what i did . .. .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
How easy is it to change them? think mine have gone
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
Mattcheese31 Wrote:
mark_airey Wrote:Personally I would jack the car up, wedge a crow bar in somewhere on the wishbone and see if something moves more than others to the point where you would deem it, excessive Smile
absolutely this . .^^^^^ . .that's what i did . .. .Smile

Thats exactly what I'm gonna do when he gets here! Big Grin

Gotta find my crowbar first though....got a feeling I left it under the seat in the silver one....which got sold on Saturday! Doh If I did I'll have to go get the other one back from my Dad! :roll:
Thanks given by:
Ben Jay Wrote:How easy is it to change them? think mine have gone

Pretty easy to change the whole wishbone so I've read.....or can just change the bush BUT need a press for that.
Thanks given by:
pretty easy,
wheel off,
ball joint off (dont pull out drive shafts)
then two bolts on the P bush, one at the front
wrench it out
ram it back in
bolt up

it can be an arse getting the bolts holes to line up, but all in all i did both mine in a couple of hours

but yeah, entire wishbone over just doing bushes, they are a massive jebend without a press
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Ben Jay Wrote:How easy is it to change them? think mine have gone

Just change the whole wishbone, they are only around £35 from a parts supplier and come complete with bushes and ball joint, as far as changing them goes its 3 bolts to the sub frame and 1 pinch bolt on the ball joint, as far as mechanical jobs go its a fairly simple one! Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
right sounds like a plan! ECP do them?
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
yep, might try give you ones for a van or something silly, but they will do them

Thanks given by:
Ben Jay Wrote:right sounds like a plan! ECP do them?

Yeah they do, lemforder or QDrive..............but Q-Drive looks like cheap shite to me haha. lol
Thanks given by:
also, the gsf ones are made of cheese, had to change mine after 10k, that was back in jan, now i can feel the car start to tramline again

Thanks given by:
Also, ECP have 25% off atm with promo code EASTER25. Wink
Thanks given by:

Yeah all parts supplies will do them, just make sure you read this thread:- <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2674</a><!-- l -->

as it contains some fairly important points you need to know before starting!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:

Yeah all parts supplies will do them, just make sure you read this thread:- <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2674</a><!-- l -->

as it contains some fairly important points you need to know before starting!

Oh god, not the 16mm/18mm thread again....don't even have to open the link to know what its gonna be! lmao
Thanks given by:
yes, VERY important thread that one

Thanks given by:
If its just the p bushes, why bother with the whole wishbone?
There like 6 quid each from the factors and take 5m a side to change with the wishbone off.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Chris Wrote:If its just the p bushes, why bother with the whole wishbone?
There like 6 quid each from the factors and take 5m a side to change with the wishbone off.

Its not the P Bush, its the other bush, would need pressing in if it was changed on its own. Smile
Thanks given by:
The p bush is the rear bush.
the round ones on the front dont tend to go tbh.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Chris Wrote:The p bush is the rear bush.

Eddited, i meant the front one lol, its at the back when you're laying under the car. lol

P bush doesn't look great either tbf, may be something to do with the 60mm drop on the car? :think:
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:
Chris Wrote:The p bush is the rear bush.

Eddited, i meant the front one lol, its at the back when you're laying under the car. lol

P bush doesn't look great either tbf, may be something to do with the 60mm drop on the car? :think:

If the car is really low then it twists the bushes more than normal and wears them much faster than normal as they are pressed in at an angle to suit the factory ride hight and only twist when the suspension moves while if its really low they will be twisted all the time,

You can get around this problem by getting the bushes pressed into place at an angle more suited to the car Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:Eddited, i meant the front one lol, its at the back when you're laying under the car. lol

If the car is really low then it twists the bushes more than normal and wears them much faster than normal as they are pressed in at an angle to suit the factory ride hight and only twist when the suspension moves while if its really low they will be twisted all the time,

You can get around this problem by getting the bushes pressed into place at an angle more suited to the car Wink

And breathe....slight lack of punctuation there haha! lol

Hmm, well we'll see what happens then, should be here about 1. Smile
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:And breathe....slight lack of punctuation there haha! lol

Hmm, well we'll see what happens then, should be here about 1. Smile

lol it was fine when I first wrote it, until I added loads of extra bits in, but you may have a point! Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Also pulls around like a bastard when you hit a puddle.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
it's not easy to change P bushes at fcuking all, i did it, but Tom you will 100% fail mate and i'm not trying to be funny, change the whole wishbone bud . . Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Powerflex Front Wishbone Bushes gti6man 2 2,077 16-11-2017, 09:36 PM
Last Post: miles
  Wishbone bushes mattbarker32 0 918 04-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Last Post: mattbarker32
  Rear beam symptoms aaron_one 5 942 27-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Last Post: welshpug