taking the 306 on tour

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
taking the 306 on tour
Shall be taking the blue pearl from Cornwall to Staffordshire then onto London after a day spent at alton towers anyone recomend any checks I should do before banging a 1000 miles onto it
Thanks given by:
Got breakdown cover in place?
Thanks given by:
Yeh AA just want to make sure I don't have to use them ha ha
Thanks given by:
It's a peugeot mate if it's going to break it's going to break

Just check all levels

Should always carry cable ties and a sizeable hammer always useful tools
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
If the car is mechanically sound, serviced properly and maintained pro-actively, journeys like this really aren't an issue.

I'll happily take my high miler 306 anywhere in the UK without so much as a glance at the fluid levels because I know that it's sound, and even a trip over to Europe I'll only really give it a casual look over.

Problems come with cars that are bodged to "repair" them as cheaply as possible, where servicing consists of little more than a well-overdue oil change and where the only time they get looked at is for the MOT.

As for what to check, that depends on whether it gets regularly checked as it's supposed to be. At the minimum, check fluid levels, tyre pressures and condition, and have a glance around for any signs of leaks, perished hoses or loose/insecure parts. If all that's OK and the car otherwise doesn't have any known issues or problems you've been ignoring, it should be absolutely fine - it's only a few hundred miles a day presumably mostly on the motorway after all.

Just my 2p.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2014, 12:38 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: If the car is mechanically sound, serviced properly and maintained pro-actively, journeys like this really aren't an issue.

I'll happily take my high miler 306 anywhere in the UK without so much as a glance at the fluid levels because I know that it's sound, and even a trip over to Europe I'll only really give it a casual look over.

Problems come with cars that are bodged to "repair" them as cheaply as possible, where servicing consists of little more than a well-overdue oil change and where the only time they get looked at is for the MOT.

As for what to check, that depends on whether it gets regularly checked as it's supposed to be. At the minimum, check fluid levels, tyre pressures and condition, and have a glance around for any signs of leaks, perished hoses or loose/insecure parts. If all that's OK and the car otherwise doesn't have any known issues or problems you've been ignoring, it should be absolutely fine - it's only a few hundred miles a day presumably mostly on the motorway after all.

Just my 2p.

Plus my 2p as well!!!Big Grin
Thanks given by:
They are reliable cars when looked after. Most moan when they break down but forget they are a minimum of 12 years old now and don't carry out work on them to take that into account.

Check:
Oil level
Water level
Tyres for tread, bad wear and bulges, cuts etc
Lights working
Fuel

That's about it really. If you have a spare, check it's actually suitable to use incase you need it and you have the tool kit to change if needs be!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I check levels and tyre pressures before I go. Regularly do 250-300 trips sometimes even a 1000 once a year. Never had a problem in the three ive used for such journeys. Just dont be a douch 500 milea from home banging it off the limiter or govener and expect it to be ok. Just take it easy
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
look after it be r8 youth
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Yeh im not one to bodge when it comes to my mechanicals on a car I often take my niece and nephew out so refuse to bodge anything incase risking their safety, just thought I would get some pointers as it's going to be doing a thousand miles in 4 days
Thanks given by:
Thats only a couple of weeks driving.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thats not a tour!!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Mine does 600 miles each week without missing a beat (so far) with just a cursory glance at everything every now and again. Will be serviced as requested in approximately 6 weeks and then just top up the screen wash until the next one.
Thanks given by:
I did 1000 miles in one day last week, just check the lights, tyres and screen wash. if its a looked after car 1000 miles in nothing
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2014, 01:22 PM)Niall Wrote: If you have a spare, check it's actually suitable to use incase you need it and you have the tool kit to change if needs be!

And check you can actually remove it! The last 4 306s I've had have all had a rusted solid spare wheel bolt! Confused

I'd also check suspension springs/shocks/P bushes etc....but too late to change any of those now before you go anyway tbf.
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't worry. I'm doing a 500 mile round trip this weekend and a 1000 mile round trip in 3 weeks, all in an old Merc with a leaking head gasket...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2014, 09:59 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I wouldn't worry. I'm doing a 500 mile round trip this weekend and a 1000 mile round trip in 3 weeks, all in an old Merc with a leaking head gasket...

Did 2,500 with a nackered head gasket (driving like a younger person would with a big engine) and a broken auxiliary water pump and the only thing that gave it away was the temp needle went to 120 degrees.
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
I drove the nurburgring with a failing HG.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Wow my 1000 miles for a car that doesn't do more than 100 miles aweek sounds pretty tame compared to the mileage some of you do
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus, I thought Honda were taking the P*ss cpikey316_ 9 2,218 01-02-2018, 10:07 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  306 on the Grand Tour Eeyore 7 2,019 16-01-2017, 08:16 AM
Last Post: hotrodjacko
  THE GRAND TOUR bashbarnard 80 13,076 13-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Last Post: 306carter