Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VAGAGAY K04- it's boosting!
[Image: IMAG0824.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0825.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0826.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0827.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0829.jpg]

Just need to get some counterunk bolts and a big drill bit to make a countersunk.

Getting there...
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Looks a neat job this.. That elbows off a k14 is it. Any chance it could be too restrictive coming large dia out of the turbo and then a sudden step to that. Not criticising btw, I have similar on my td04 just and I'm concerned that it might just be holding it back?
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
I'm sure it is TBH with you, i'm like to try ground out the holes more so it will flow a bit better. I'll see how this one goes but I can always make a better one as its all just bolted on.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
You don't need countersunk bolts, just drill a hole big enough for head of the bolts you have, weld around them and then grind off the excess flush Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
strictly_derv Wrote:I'm sure it is TBH with you, i'm like to try ground out the holes more so it will flow a bit better. I'll see how this one goes but I can always make a better one as its all just bolted on.

Yea I'm really thinking of making another for mine, it'll be the MK3 version! All bolted together, but I still have to take the turbo out to change it!
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:You don't need countersunk bolts, just drill a hole big enough for head of the bolts you have, weld around them and then grind off the excess flush Smile

Or just weld the elbow on from the start and not bother with any of the bolts at all :p
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Dave Wrote:
mark_airey Wrote:You don't need countersunk bolts, just drill a hole big enough for head of the bolts you have, weld around them and then grind off the excess flush Smile

Or just weld the elbow on from the start and not bother with any of the bolts at all :p

this. Tongue
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That does pose an access issue though! so make sure the elbow is removable somehow! In this case tho the elbow coulda been welded to the flange like how I did it before.
Thanks given by:
I've already ordered some countersunk bolts so and I don't have a welder so I'd rather bolt them on Incase it needs adjustment which is likely
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
How have you set your angle??
Thanks given by:
Angle of the down pipe? I've lined it up with the K14. All by eye so expecting fails :think:
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Hm as long as you've lined it up with something so the downpipe is around the same as stock and not just dilled it anyold way... theres probably 15-20° of freedom on the flange.
Thanks given by:
Yes it's as close as I could get it by eye to the same angle of the the k14. I'll be getting it all fitted upto the spare engine to be sure everything else lines up.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
If you had something to ref. to next to it to make sure you have your up/down and correct length of elbow then should be fine, get 'er changed wanna see some boost!!!!
Thanks given by:
I'm waitin on some bolts and drill bits first so won't be done till next week :violin:
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
strictly_derv Wrote:I'm waitin on some bolts and drill bits first so won't be done till next week :violin:

Oh come on man...........we all want to see the results Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
I now need to get hold of either a countersunk drill bit of a big drill bit :evil:

Will I need gaskets for this or can I just use gun gum?
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Just use paste, be fine, especially as you haven't welded plates to make them warp to hell.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
strictly_derv Wrote:I now need to get hold of either a countersunk drill bit of a big drill bit :evil:

Will I need gaskets for this or can I just use gun gum?

You just want a big drill so the bottom of the hole is as flat as you can so the bolt can sit against the face flat Smile

Exhaust paste is fine, I used Bosal exhaust assembly paste stuff but meh, its all the same idea lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Would have been alot easier to just drill / tap the holes and use studs or just do what me / mark did and weld / grind the suckers in.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
darrenjlobb Wrote:Would have been alot easier to just drill / tap the holes and use studs or just do what me / mark did and weld / grind the suckers in.

Thats what he is doing AFAIK Darren, home made studs FTW Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
The threaded hole method occurred to me just after I drilled the last hole Doh
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Rather than using the 306 exhaust elbow could you not have made a better downpipe?
Ie Use the adaptor plate, drill the centre hole out to 3"/ 2.75"/ 2.5" and weld a bigger dia pipe to it and along with a flexi pipe you will have a decent flowing exhaust?
Thanks given by:
Trust me its alot more hassle that its worth to make a bigger downpipe, you need to get the same flange size anyway, and then your defeating the purpose...
Thanks given by:
In fairness, the stock 306 DP is a bag of crap for flow, but doesn't make that much difference.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:In fairness, the stock 306 DP is a bag of crap for flow, but doesn't make that much difference.

Thats what I mean though, in most applications where the downpipe isnt big enough causing restrictions the pump is failing anyway.... and usually if the turbos big your not getting smoke anyway, so no issue!
Thanks given by:
Dave Wrote:Trust me its alot more hassle that its worth to make a bigger downpipe, you need to get the same flange size anyway, and then your defeating the purpose...

Not sure i understand about the flange size Dave?
Why mess about with different bolt patterns when you can weld directly to his new machined plate and have a decent size exhaust. Fair enough it isnt going to improve it drastically it just seems a "cleaner" way of doing it.
Thanks given by:
I've been proper slack lately!
Just bought a 20mm drill bit to bore out the holes.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
:yawn: come on..

Slacker.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Just waiting on the post-man now Popcorn

It will be on before FCS though!
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post