VAGAGAY K04- it's boosting!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VAGAGAY K04- it's boosting!
strictly_derv Wrote:Yeah he'smy mates mums partner.
He's got some 8mm for the turbo to manifold and some 10mm for the turbo to exhaust.

Was having a look around the turbo and noticed a threaded hole going into the exhaust housing where the gasses spin the wheel, guessing it's an EGT gauge hole?

If its any cheaper then 8mm would be fine for turbo to exhaust too.

Good stuff though, get cracking!
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Ahhhhh.................makes sense, handy having people like that in the family, my uncle is a steel fabricator Big Grin

Pics of said threaded hole, it could well be.........
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
The plates are just bit's he had lying round, that's probably why it's so cheap.
I might take it over there tomorrow to get some plates made if I can scrounge some money :oops:

I'll get some pics of the hole tomorrow Mark
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
strictly_derv Wrote:The plates are just bit's he had lying round, that's probably why it's so cheap.
I might take it over there tomorrow to get some plates made if I can scrounge some money :oops:

to be honest mate, despite what people say about proposed advantages/disadvantages, bodge "lathe" work and so on, i think you should go ahead and try it on - if you have the spare turbo to grind, do it and let us know how it goes!? Smile
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
He means the potential EGR threaded hole in the turbo, hence the reply being to me and my above post lol

How you make the hole is irrelevant TBH as long as it works all is well if you ask me Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:
strictly_derv Wrote:The plates are just bit's he had lying round, that's probably why it's so cheap.

to be honest mate, despite what people say about proposed advantages/disadvantages, bodge "lathe" work and so on, i think you should go ahead and try it on - if you have the spare turbo to grind, do it and let us know how it goes!? Smile

Yeh I second this, you should try it, all the reamed ones I've heard about have been running silly boost/fuel so have died but the two I did with a dremel were fine as long as I watched smoke/boost. This is also how jp and con have their turbos mounted.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Abit late now, just dropped it off at the forgery to have the plates made up.

It still works out cheaper for me to do it like this anyway.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Dave Wrote:Yeh I second this, you should try it, all the reamed ones I've heard about have been running silly boost/fuel so have died but the two I did with a dremel were fine as long as I watched smoke/boost. This is also how jp and con have their turbos mounted.

Yours wasn't to fit a bigger turbine wheel though, it was just for more bypass...

FYI - when you do this and put a bigger turbine in, you alter the A/R massively...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Yeh I had a T25 running like that, to be fair I think it would be ok to machine out, and run at a happy medium boost. It will produce silly EGT's with big boost, but I still think it should be tried.
Thanks given by:
We both know someone who's tried it and it's been a bit of a fail!

I think the record was 2000 miles to a turbo? And if you're not going for max power, why bother!

Go big or go home and all that :p
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Yeh... but that was with unknown boost/fuel for AGES, boosted off the scale when it finally had a gauge on...
Thanks given by:
Has anyone used the 360 degree thrust bearing in a turbo rebuild?
Thanks given by:
Dave has, yeah...

I have a 360* Thrust bearing as standard in my VNT...
Thanks given by:
Yeh I have, its still on car.... no shaft play... 40+ psi... and it was fine

The newer GT series come with 360's dont they? Or I know the GT17, GT20, GT22 and GT23 series do anyway...
Thanks given by:
All VNTs do...

Not necessarily a GT thing, just all VNTs... That's because of the stress on the shaft as they spool up so fast, there's high forces on the shaft from the high pressure exhaust gas.
Thanks given by:
ah, well thats good to know. cheers for the info!
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:We both know someone who's tried it and it's been a bit of a fail!

I think the record was 2000 miles to a turbo? And if you're not going for max power, why bother!

Go big or go home and all that :p

As Dave said though, the EGTs were probably astronomical due to the backpressure. But f*ck me it went when it worked Smile.
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah, the EGTs would have been mental, but that's because of the naffed up A/R...

Oh yeah, goes well when it works though :p
Thanks given by:
Ive done 2xk14-2s from mercs int 306 k14 housings, both have been fine for year or 2 now, mine took absolute dogs abuse, lathe first then dremel finished after, well I've an air powered die grinder not a dremel exactly but same idea just faster.
Thanks given by:
Friggin knew it Wink con whats the situation with your DT now days anyway? you were really pushing your pump before, wheres that upto? Sorry to be off topic...
Thanks given by:
Cant remember why I went back 9mm but did, think it was temporary then pushed it and remember it was better than the 11mm. Lost track of the car after it changed hands, hope somebody was stupid enough to paint it and look after it.
Thanks given by:
Managed to pick this up from a TD04L at the scrapyard today during lunch.
Still waiting to hear back from the forge about the plates

[Image: IMAG0795.jpg]
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Went over and checked it and it fit's straight on the K04.
The wastegate actuators looks a PITA to fit, tempted to weld the gate shut....
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Plates are holed and shaped now, he just needs me to mark em up so he can drill the holes to get it bolted together.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
strictly_derv Wrote:Went over and checked it and it fit's straight on the K04.
The wastegate actuators looks a PITA to fit, tempted to weld the gate shut....

strictly_derv Wrote:Plates are holed and shaped now, he just needs me to mark em up so he can drill the holes to get it bolted together.

Clearly you need to just weld the gate shut Tongue

Sounds like good progress though, should be entertaining once its fitted Big Grin
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Good progress! Make sure there is lots of pics!
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
ninja Very tempting to weld it shut.

Right got some pics for you.....

[Image: IMAG0813.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0814.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0815.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0816.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0817.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0818.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0820.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0821.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0822.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0823.jpg]

I'll be doing the drilling now as I will be borrowing a decent drill.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Also just bought these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280776397841? ... 2834wt_796

M10 by 25mm x 10
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
What I did with mine for the exhaust elbow bolts wast to drill the holes in the relevant places and then countersink the bolt head into the plate on the inside a bit, weld round them and grind off smooth, hey presto studs for the elbow to bolt to Big Grin
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Yeah thats kinda what I had in mind, bolt and nut would cause a slight flow restriction.
I need to countersink the bolts bolting the plate to the turbo aswell. Need to wait for the bolts to arrive and sort out a counter sink drill bit aswel. So won't have it done for atleast a week :o
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lucas K14 Boosting 2 Bar daveylennon93 9 3,072 01-01-2015, 01:42 PM
Last Post: daveylennon93
  top mount td04 not boosting DagDag53 24 4,851 04-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Last Post: daniel.mountain.7
  XUD *over boosting* ? ADV_93 6 2,531 01-08-2014, 08:21 AM
Last Post: Ruan