Benefits of gti6 brakes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benefits of gti6 brakes
(27-08-2014, 11:42 AM)Piggy Wrote: Tyres.

Most people put huge brakes on then search and search for the cheapest tyres to put on. Complete lack of the understanding of grip and where to spend the money.

Well serviced brakes and decent tyres will out brake gti6 brakes wacked on for £50 and budget tyres!

Cant ever imagine you would need bigger rear calipers unless you have more weight in the back regualarly or mid engine/rear engine conversion, RWD or 4WD

Yeah the brakes on mine are awesome but really let down by the tyres, I need better quality ones
Thanks given by:
I definitely agree about the tyres, I don't trust cheap tyres, surprising the difference in stopping distance between a good tyre and a cheap one. I remember being pretty surprised reading the difference in stopping distance between an a rated and d rated tyre on the new(ish) rating system
I was just curious, hearing lots of people upping their front brakes without mentioning the back.
Thanks given by:
306s arent exactly 50/50 weight distribution!!

Plus when you stomp on the anchors...where does the energy get thrown?...forward.

I rekon any bigger rear calipers and you would end up heading backwards into most corners!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 10:03 PM)Piggy Wrote: 306s arent exactly 50/50 weight distribution!!

Plus when you stomp on the anchors...where does the energy get thrown?...forward.

I rekon any bigger rear calipers and you would end up heading backwards into most corners!

Sums it up pretty well, think of it like a push bike, if you pull harder on the back brake it skids. You pull to hard on the front it unloads the back and causes the back end to become too light. So if you get a nice balance on the brakes (more braking upfront) it will give a much more positive and balanced effect
Thanks given by:
But with a pushbike, or even a motorbike, you have a variable weight distribution...the rider

So you can overcome those issues with moving the weight of the rider under braking (or accelerating too) but not so much in a 306!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2014, 06:03 AM)Piggy Wrote: But with a pushbike, or even a motorbike, you have a variable weight distribution...the rider

So you can overcome those issues with moving the weight of the rider under braking (or accelerating too) but not so much in a 306!!

I know what I'm saying is most of
The weight is at the front so the rear isn't as important as it doesn't offer much braking just stability. To much braking at the rear will just spin the car out
Thanks given by:
It isn't just the location of the weight. Like Nathan says having too much braking on the rear wheels will destabilise the car and cause it to try to swap ends. I'm pretty sure there are standards in the automotive industry that don't allow manufacturers to have more than 25% ish of the braking to be done by the rear.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Would it be worth replacing my hdi front brakes for gti6 ones? If so should i change the master brake cylinder too??
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2014, 08:02 PM)Nicks306 Wrote: Would it be worth replacing my hdi front brakes for gti6 ones? If so should i change the master brake cylinder too??

If you change to 6 brakes I believe it's best to change the master cylinder, it will stop excessive brake travel and a spongy feel. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong Smile
Thanks given by:
Your right, but should be fine on a hdi as they have a larger mc than the xud and smaller engines, but not quite as big as a 6. I found them to be a great upgrade but that was probably more to do with the uprated pads and braided lines.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2014, 03:14 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:
(13-08-2014, 02:21 PM)DazzaHDI Wrote: They're 6 brakes ThumbsUp

Here's mine Smile

Stupid iphone! Angry

Sweet! What rotors are they? I kinda want drilled and grooved ones

Just save up and get some of these. Or ferrodo pads and braided lines with dot5.
Even cheaper way, lose weight in the car.
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2014, 09:19 PM)impotentials Wrote:
(13-08-2014, 03:14 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:
(13-08-2014, 02:21 PM)DazzaHDI Wrote: They're 6 brakes ThumbsUp

Here's mine Smile

Stupid iphone! Angry

Sweet! What rotors are they? I kinda want drilled and grooved ones

Just save up and get some of these. Or ferrodo pads and braided lines with dot5.
Even cheaper way, lose weight in the car.

They look awesome!

(06-09-2014, 08:55 PM)Slam Wagon Wrote: Your right, but should be fine on a hdi as they have a larger mc than the xud and smaller engines, but not quite as big as a 6. I found them to be a great upgrade but that was probably more to do with the uprated pads and braided lines.

I think braided lines is another mod for me to add to the list. Do they just make the the brakes feel sharper?
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2014, 09:39 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: I think braided lines is another mod for me to add to the list. Do they just make the the brakes feel sharper?
Yes, they do not expand and contract under high pressure as much as standard hoses.
Varying volumes from the hoses expanding means that some of your pedal effort is just expanding hoses rather than squeezing a caliper.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2014, 07:30 PM)RetroPug Wrote:
(06-09-2014, 09:39 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: I think braided lines is another mod for me to add to the list. Do they just make the the brakes feel sharper?
Yes, they do not expand and contract under high pressure as much as standard hoses.
Varying volumes from the hoses expanding means that some of your pedal effort is just expanding hoses rather than squeezing a caliper.

Awesome Smile I've been looking at these http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport...ridge-logo
Thanks given by:
I'm fitting gti6 brakes to my dturbo at the weekend. Are the 2 bolts that attach the brake caliper to the car the same, or do you need the bolts from the gti6

Cheers
Thanks given by:
You need the bolts afaik as they are a different length.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As Mr wagon of slam said, gti6 bolts are ever so slightly longer.
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Cheers
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2014, 10:17 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:
(10-09-2014, 07:30 PM)RetroPug Wrote:

Awesome Smile I've been looking at these http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport...ridge-logo
Fitting braided hoses is on the long list of stuff I would like to get done but haven't gotten around to yet and haven't stopped being tight-fisted for long enough to buy bits to do so. lmao

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Having a read through this, was planning on fittinf my 6 calipers in the next few days but was wondering what you guys meamt by longer bolts?

Take it the carrier bolts are longer? I wont be ordering new pads so would need to know what length these are basically?
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2014, 11:53 AM)mcglynn Wrote: Having a read through this, was planning on fittinf my 6 calipers in the next few days but was wondering what you guys meamt by longer bolts?

Take it the carrier bolts are longer? I wont be ordering new pads so would need to know what length these are basically?

The carrier bolts don't need to be changed. Its the actual mounting bolts they are referring to.

Also; I'm sure this is not what you mean, but are you trying to fit the HDI pads into the '6 callipers?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Ahh misunderstanding, complete blip on my part.

Have the carrier bolts but the mounting bolts I havent got new ones/gti6 ones. Do the HDi ones fit or will I still need longer ones?

No haha im not tryna fit HDi pads into 6 calipers im not that bad buddy Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GTI180 vs GTI6 Brakes MY95 18 2,676 19-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Anton
  Gti6 brakes connorp 10 1,926 27-05-2015, 03:55 PM
Last Post: connorp
  GTI6 283mm Brakes Setup MY95 6 2,728 06-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Last Post: Sambarker