inlet mani studs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
inlet mani studs
Wondering what thread the nuts are fir the inlet mani studs?
Need to extract them and dont want to use the original ones

Cheers
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
M8x1.25
Thanks given by:
M8x1.25 I'm fairly sure.

EDIT: Curt got there before me Tongue
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys! Anyone know how long the studs are? Was thinking of replacing with bolts to make it easier
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
Wouldn't really recommend it, the threads in the ali head are a lot weaker than the studs.
Thanks given by:
I prefer the Allen bolts myself over the studs

So much easier to remove, never stripped the threads with them see where your coming from with regards pulling the threads out but you know when a bolts tight if you go mad you will strip the threads
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Trust me, done it enough times to know, you have about 2-3 chances with bolts before the head is either scrap or requires helicoiling.

The threads are not designed to have the manifolds hang off them whilst you tighten against the threads in the ally head. This is precisely why early XUD9s have bolts and later ones have studs. You cannot tighten the allen bolts to the point the gasket is well sealed without damaging the threads - the turning and tightening action just destroys the incredibly soft aluminium.

Think about putting a self tapper into a soft wall - once it's tight, it's fine - you can actually put a serious amount of force on it - try tightening that little bit more, you'll just pull everything out of the wall and be left with a hole because the wall is weak.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I'm a bolt snapper/stripper anyway, me and ali don't mix. So I'd rather have studs which you can have confidence in. Aluminium doesn't need an excuse to strip in my experience, I had it recently with my inlet. Put absolutely no force on it at all and it stripped the thread...

I certainly wouldn't swap studs for bolts, bit that's up to you.
Thanks given by:
Think I'll keep the studs then haha, was just curious if it was an option Smile
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
I use to use bolts, for a one off remove of mani bolts would be ok but my mani was off every 5 mins, now use studs ....
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Relocation Mani Query silverzx 4 1,628 02-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Lolben91
  Exhaust and inlet manifold spacers and studs andyyy 1 1,123 15-03-2015, 01:51 AM
Last Post: zx_volcane
  DW8 intake mani on an XUD? 089 5 2,653 14-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Ruan