help broken down in Luxembourg

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help broken down in Luxembourg
En route to lake Geneva

Strong smell of diesel when going slow , had an investigate at the over night stop and the water in diesel sensor at the bottom was cracked, tried to remove it and it's now snapped totally off.

Can I wind a bolt in to the hole and cement it in place with epoxy resin as a make do till we get back to Britain?
Thanks given by:
Should be fine. If it really is an issue stick a little filter in and bypass for now
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
This is on my alfa so can't put a smaller filter on.

Idea is to get some silicone sealant or epoxy resin, coat the threads of a bolt in it, wind it in to the filter hole, then coat over the top

Wasn't sure if it would work though
Thanks given by:
how deep is the threaded hole? if its deep enough then some PTFE tape, around the thread and a really nice thick wadge around hte bolt head should be enough for a get you home..
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Get the black oil and fuel resistant sealant. Might as well be a permanent repair then.
Thanks given by:
Agree bung it up with sealent
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Do you have a name for the sealant that they would recognise out here?

Have had the breakdown services out, they are picking me and the filter up tomorrow and taking us to a garage to do the repair
Thanks given by:
Just shout really loud the english word for what you want. They love that over there
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2014, 08:18 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Just shout really loud the english word for what you want. They love that over there

Have tried that (well not that loud)
Even showed them a google translate page of what I wanted and that didn't work either.
Thanks given by:
Hylomar should be a universal one. Hermatite

What part of Luxembourg are you in they speak three languges therw
Thanks given by:
Just out the city center close to the airport.
Most speak French pity I don't
Thanks given by:
How long are you stopped for? Happy to try and locate one & post it to you if you cover it when your home if it's any use?

See how nice I am even when you're a cock to me lol.
Thanks given by:
Try not to let the sealant get into the fuel though probably don't want that to suck through. You could try bypass the housing for now just to get home.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
Only stopped for the night.

Can't bypass it as there is three hoses attached to it with quick snap connectors.

The sensor that is broken is available seperatly as a spare so worst cases cani to is we get a new one of those via the garage .

Should all be covered under our breakdown cover
Thanks given by:
If you find a bolt big enough, you won't need sealant.

If it's still leaking, take it apart, drain fuel out, clean of fuel, put sealant around threads and put bolt back in... If it's leaking with the bolt in there, putting sealant on there with fuel everywhere will do nothing, it won't seal when there's fuel about, it has to be TOTALLY dry of fuel.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Yep what Ruan said above, you've gotta take the part off/drain the fuel out and clean it up.
Best use some carb cleaner or similar to clean the threads up before the sealent go's in.

Do it right tho and it will be a permanent fix, it won't pop out again.
Thanks given by:
Ended up getting recovered to the local main agent!

135euro later I drive out with a new filter
Thanks given by:
Least it's sorted... Get off here & enjoy your hols now!
Thanks given by:
This on a 156? Stupid sensors, 22 quid for a filter at trade price with sensor! The cheap ones come with just a bolt in there so maybe grab a cheapo one and leave it in boot just in case it happens again? Mine did the same
Thanks given by: