What are GTi6's like as daily drivers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are GTi6's like as daily drivers?
If it get's hot in traffic then the Rad is on it's last leg's or the system needs a flush thru, Never had one run hot and those who know me know I've had loads, even in 205's with smaller rad's they do not run hot at all.
On a run as said you can see 40 ish to the gallon so it's only slightly behind the HDI's but with another 70 odd BHP it's not bad going, round town is where it goes down but everything does.
Oil change's and servicing is less than the HDI plus it's done at higher mileage's so cost per mile isn't that different.
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2014, 07:32 PM)miles Wrote: If it get's hot in traffic then the Rad is on it's last leg's or the system needs a flush thru, Never had one run hot and those who know me know I've had loads, even in 205's with smaller rad's they do not run hot at all.
Or the headgasket isn't sealing properly and combustion gasses are getting into the coolant.

Miles is right, with a good rad, well-maintained cooling system and working fans they will get up to operating temp quite fast but won't overheat.

I suggest a Nissens radiator along with a flush-through and thermostat replacement for peace of mind if the car is still on the original rad.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2014, 07:38 AM)welshpug Wrote: consistent 32mpg+ from mine, never got hot in traffic, never failed to get me to work, has newman cams soon to be mapped on throttlebodies

I'm intrigued to know how you get on with 'those' cams on a GTi6 engine. The few, standard GTi6s I've driven just felt flat, particularly in comparison to the old Mi16.
Thanks given by:
thats just because they arent peaky like an mi16 can be, with yhe cams its just fatter curves everywhere by its feel, ive timed them properly too unlike most pt81's etc.
Thanks given by: