Metallic Click

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metallic Click
Right, today is the 2nd time ive heard this. This time not as loud as the first, but I started the car up and it sounds like 2 marbles hitting each other, just 1 'click' every 2 or 3 seconds... doesn't seem to get faster with increased rpm which kind of rules out my initial thought (that it was either a pulley bolt or something)...

had a closer inspection and everything looks fine, and as close as I listen I cant identify if its from the belt area, the fuel pump or just on tpop of engine...

i know its very hard to diagnose noises online but anyone anything similar or had this before?
Thanks given by:
Does sound like a pulley bearing as the BBs inside are loose and 'hit' every now and then. Likely to be an aux tensioner, you could always run the engine with the aux belt removed briefly to see if its still there.

I would also check the crank pulley as they're a known fail but not heard of them making a click.
Thanks given by:
crank pulley been changed in last 4 months, so has the aux tensioner. Don't have a guide pulley, im running a shorter belt.

so could be in the timing belt area?

ill probably start it up later and it not do it.. It did it about 4 weeks ago for first 10 mins of driving then stopped

ALSO, been having issues with the alternator lately, if I go through a puddle the battery warning light comes on for a min or 2 and also, there is a chattering noise on the belt side (that's y I replaced all the pulleys) Could it be the alternator pulley bearings? Can I swap just the alternator pulley? if it is this, could that explain the light coming on etc? if its slipping or something?
Thanks given by:
Don't have the guide pulley? I've got a De-AC setup and still use both pulleys? It could still be bearings in other components though, alt or PAS pump maybe.

If the crank pulley was a pattern part, it wouldn't be uncommon to fail that quickly so I'd still check anyway lol.

I wouldn't 'think' it'll be a timing belt tensioner, they seem to made to a much better standard and last a lot longer than the aux ones, in my experience but don't rule it out.

Seems odd to be so much time in between though. Have you left it for a while or anything? Could even be a drained lifter filling back up if its been sat...
Thanks given by:
no use it every day...

yea like you say just seems odd to be there then go for weeks before it does it again..

I think my next step is to sort alternator as it shouldn't put battery light on when it gets wet so im guna clean all brushes etc..

are the pulleys removable? if so I can swap that with a clutch pulley and thatll rule out the bearings on the alternator at least
Thanks given by:
Hmm, your alternators already broken? In that case it could be that...

The pulleys are removable but I'm not sure if a clutch pulley is a straight fit. I also don't think it'd rule out the alt bearings being at fault, they only disengage on over-run so most of the time it'd be driven as normal anyway, unless I'm missing something there lol.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Click Noise Pug305 9 2,224 16-03-2015, 10:05 PM
Last Post: titch