First time on motorway today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time on motorway today
Like the title says today was the first time I ventured onto the motorway only passing my test last Tuesday and you've gotta love outside lane hero's cutting across all three lanes for a junction was interesting to witness at the wheel anyways looking forward to my trip to Sheffield Friday after work can't wait for rush hour on the M1 Undecided
Thanks given by:
Friday just gone was awful around leeds/sheffield on the M1.
[Image: 306_zpsadcff53a.png]
Thanks given by:
I don't see the problem with motorways, they're just dual carriageways with more overtaking opportunity...wish they'd make the A14 a motorway tbh!
Thanks given by:
Wish they would do it on the A1 near doncaster aswell!
[Image: 306_zpsadcff53a.png]
Thanks given by:
Well done Big Grin First time for everything!
Thanks given by:
(28-07-2014, 08:39 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I don't see the problem with motorways, they're just dual carriageways with more overtaking opportunity...wish they'd make the A14 a motorway tbh!

(28-07-2014, 08:41 PM)Marcus1991 Wrote: Wish they would do it on the A1 near doncaster aswell!

And the A64 from Leeds to Scarborough...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Well done for venturing onto motorway

I was shit scared of changing lanes and side swiping someone

Once I got on realised it was nothing to worry about

The a1 is a f*cking joke, lorry behind lorry overtaking a lorry doing 0.5mph slower for the whole journey wankers
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Was proper nervous/excited(gaaaaaaaaay I know) to get on the motorway then once u get going then it becomes boring real quick first proper trek is Friday so fingers crossed I won't be on BBC news causing a huge crash on the M1 Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Don't jynx it lol! Confused
Thanks given by:
don't become a middle lane wanker, and you'll be fine.

also, don't tailgate, don't brake unless absolutely necessary, braking on motorways is what causes tailbacks and accidents.
Thanks given by:
(28-07-2014, 09:41 PM)welshpug Wrote: don't become a middle lane wanker, and you'll be fine.

also, don't tailgate, don't brake unless absolutely necessary, braking on motorways is what causes tailbacks and accidents.

So basically, don't become an Audi driver? :p
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I learned in Germany where there are a minimum number of mandatory motorway lessons.
It is ridiculous that UK driving schools do not have motorway driving lessons!
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Still cant believe motorway isn't compulsory for the driving test
Thanks given by:
Problem is there is plenty of the UK that isn't within even 2 hours drive of a motorway. It wouldn't be very practical!
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Exactly that...there are no motorways in the whole county of Suffolk lol, I've only ever been on one, an that was about a 5hr round trip lol.
Thanks given by:
I ran motorway lessons and passplus for my students...but you cant force them. Once they have passed its unlikely they want to spend MORE on lessons.

However having motorways/dualcarriageways handy is an issue....for both arguments.

IE: you could pass your test/be trained and never have done over 50 or been on a road with more than a lane for each flow of traffic.

So jumping on the motorway is a HUGE jump. The different rules, signs, the slip road, higher speed and need for more acceleration, careful mirror use, 3 lanes or more plus hard shoulder, have traffic blast passed you at 100mph+.

Its a different ball game for those lads/lasses
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Was gonna say, its strange how you're allowed on when you're never actually taught to the rules of the motorway - you kind of have to just.. figure it out... lol I mean theres not much difference but if an insurance claim came down to it, it'd be chalk and cheese.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Motorway etiquette is horrific in this country (middle lane wankers, tailgating etc) and can only be a result of never actually having proper use of a motorway enforced. We're told but never shown, and so often drivers pick up bad habits from other drivers. Hop over to France (and probably the rest if Europe as well) and they only ever pull out of their lane to overtake. They're doing something right apparantly.
Thanks given by:
(29-07-2014, 07:04 AM)Piggy Wrote: I ran motorway lessons and passplus for my students...but you cant force them. Once they have passed its unlikely they want to spend MORE on lessons.

However having motorways/dualcarriageways handy is an issue....for both arguments.

IE: you could pass your test/be trained and never have done over 50 or been on a road with more than a lane for each flow of traffic.

So jumping on the motorway is a HUGE jump. The different rules, signs, the slip road, higher speed and need for more acceleration, careful mirror use, 3 lanes or more plus hard shoulder, have traffic blast passed you at 100mph+.

Its a different ball game for those lads/lasses

Yeah totally, The actual scariest ones to drive on are the NSL 2 or 3 lane dual carriageways with proper slip roads as the lanes tend to be narrower, the slip roads tend to be shorter, there is no hard shoulder and they don't tend to run anywhere near as straight as motorways so you lose the longer distance visibility. I was lucky to have been taken on a few of these in my lessons but was told that on a NSL road I would still pass the test even if I didn't reach the speed limit or even get into 5th.
Thanks given by:
At least your first time wasn't in a fiesta with some dodgy steering components so the steering wheel wobbled like crazy over 60mph and a mate edging you to go faster. Only nearly crashed once lol
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(28-07-2014, 08:37 PM)Marcus1991 Wrote: Friday just gone was awful around leeds/sheffield on the M1.

Got stuck in this myself. Took 6 hours to drive from Reading to Leeds last Friday. On a Monday morning leaving Leeds around 4am it takes around 3hr 30.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Motorway police... rtha6551 52 14,021 04-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Matt
  Hammer time ... no wait MOT time, err same thing! Megamonkey 13 13,482 19-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Megamonkey