dw10 with 6 speed gearbox

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dw10 with 6 speed gearbox
since i am finishing the 16v engine, i'm thinking a bit foward and planing to buit/ use a 6 speed gearbox for the new engine.

The question is, should i use a 2.2 6 speed gearbox from a 607 2.2 hdi or one from a 307 or 407 rhr engine??

What should be easier to built
Thanks given by:
Dont think you will fit that huge 6speed box in a 306. Would need quite a lot of cutting of stuff and welding stuff to retain the strength in the stuff cut up

Not sure on shafts either
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(27-07-2014, 06:52 PM)Piggy Wrote: Dont think you will fit that huge 6speed box in a 306. Would need quite a lot of cutting of stuff and welding stuff to retain the strength in the stuff cut up

Not sure on shafts either

even from a 407 or 607 box?? are they the same 407/607??
Thanks given by:
All a much bigger box
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
the 5 speed will fit when bolted to a V6, shouldn't be much more work to get the 6 speed in there.
Thanks given by:
5 speed and 6 speed have a big size difference. Just pick each one up!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
6 speed will fit in the space no problem but getting it to work can be quite the pain depending on the box you go for
Thanks given by:
naah, getting it to work is the easy bit.

as for the size, theres not that much in it, though I cant lift the ml5 very easily anyway lol
Thanks given by:
I know the main one on here needed a custom bell housing to engine adaptor machined, new pedal box etc so I wouldnt call it easy Big Grin but it does depend which one you go for
Thanks given by:
The gearstick is operated on cables...so that would need sorting. I think the clutch is also hydraulic.

Im quite sure the bell housing would fit the dw10 block though. However I do doubt it would physically fit due to subframe and chassis leg Undecided
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Hydro conversion would be fine wouldn't it, don't understand why they changed the whole pedal box? I also thought the ml boxes fouled the subframe, that another internet myth?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
chop the subframe to clear the diff, wrld plates I to stiffen up.

bellhousing is bolt on.

shift cables is simple, remove rods, make bracket and bolt in gear lever, connect cables.

shorten driveshafts.

make clutch master fit 306 bulkhead.

helped do all this in a 205 306 and 405 with v6 engines and ml5 boxes, 6 just has an extra gear on the end

no chassis mods in any of the aforementioned vehicles, zero subframe mods in the 405!
Thanks given by:
Doing all that mind is a lot of work.

And shortening driveshafts isnt a diy job tnh
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Doing all that mind is a lot of work.

And shortening driveshafts isnt a diy job tbh
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
my mate George did his own shafts, and the ones for the 405 that's just been MOT'd this afternoon.
Thanks given by:
Shortening shafts is easy, just sleeve and weld surely?
Thanks given by:
Be an ideal addition to your gt, James.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(28-07-2014, 09:24 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Shortening shafts is easy, just sleeve and weld surely?

not quite, insert and weld, fishmouth the two sides and you'll have greater weld area and less chance of cracking straight round.

all the insert does is hold the two sides square and straight for you to weld them.

though the last one George did was just a chop, vee the ends, clamp into angle iron and weld up.

not had issue with a shaft running 200 lbft 200 bhp and R888's n the V6's, Tigger Dave at Satchell engineering has done some for rally and hillclimb cars running avon slicks and rally cut slicks with upwards of 280 bhp and 190 lbft without a problem too.
Thanks given by:
Im running more than 250ft lbs already..the GTB will produce a bit more I rekon.

Plus, I guess they arent balanced after that?? Wont take much to create horrid vibration
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
peugeot dont balance their shafts, no vibrations at 155mph.
Thanks given by:
What about torque balancing them? Just cant be done on bodged shorter. shafts.

Its something I will be considering soon for mine, it reduces torque steer dramatically.

I would think pug dont balance them because they have engineered them to not wobble!!!

Find me some standard shafts that would fit poodle (or a diff swap) and I would consider it...otherwise...Im out.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
pardon?!
Thanks given by:
Each shaft has a certain torque twist. This is a main reason FWD high power turbo cars get torque steer. Solved if you can make the two shafts equal lengths, a gearbox central for instance. But they can be balanced for this. But it wouldnt be possible once a shaft is cut down.

Fine if you dont mind that but its something I will be looking at doing soon so shortened/welded shafts wouldnt suit me at all
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
no its not, its from poor suspension geometry, nothing to do with "torque twist" which I dont understand what youre talking about, they're just steel tubes made for peugeot.

the shaft length is dictated by engine position, which in this case you can do little about, however due to an intermediate bearing carrier the shafts are within 20mm, the 406 has a 20mm or so difference each side and is not known for torque steer.

we get no torque steer on the v6's on pe2's or r888's.

a saxo kitcar I service for runs a sadev c2r2 gearbox, which happens to use an ml spline pattern, so the right hand shaft is a totally std 406 ml shaft, and a shortened nearside shaft.

it also has a full satchell front suspension, so zero bump steer zero torque steer running sticky rally tyres or road tyres.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DW10 vs DW12 vs DV6 Dreijers 43 16,054 03-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Poodle
Wink Converting DW10 to IDI (XUD) TwinkleToes 22 6,696 27-09-2017, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  DW10 Piper cam 306clot 17 5,616 13-05-2016, 12:29 PM
Last Post: toseland