The toy, 306GTI trackday racer. *Dial-up warning: Picture heavy*

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The toy, 306GTI trackday racer. *Dial-up warning: Picture heavy*
Heated seats are lovely, especially if they are leather like my other cars, gets coooooold!

Had some issues with the brakes, the pedal was spongy and went to the floor on hard braking, and there was a new squeal.
Took the pads out yesterday and found this:
[Image: 7esasy2u.jpg]

Had a chat with my supplier and he's sorting a new set for me free of charge. He recommended going with RC6 pads this time (RC5+ are on now) for even better heat resistance.
I popped the used brembo original pads in to be able to drive it, and jeezus what a difference in feel! I'm not going back to oem pads ever!
Tinkerer of 306gti6 trackday racer, less stuff, more hard, more umpf, more stop.
Thanks given by:
From a couple of months back:

This was before i did any chassis alignement, so basically, the car was too low, had zero camber, and 15mm toe in, it was eating tires like, a tire eating machine!
Tinkerer of 306gti6 trackday racer, less stuff, more hard, more umpf, more stop.
Thanks given by:
Played around a bit with a wing I bought a couple of years ago.
I'm pondering on if the original spoiler will interfere with the flow of air under the new wing, I'll have to ask the experts..

[Image: 46a48ab638d5529cca6a5d0dd91c90fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Joined team shopping cart Cool

[Image: 2bbf8698f57649707e97794db434c780.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Be careful, RC6 are very heavy on discs. Keep cleaning your wheels as the discs are shredded and will eat into the wheel paint. Awesome pads otherwise.
Thanks given by:
Out of interest adam, my Rallye has these pads, and was warned about damaging the wheels. Any way of lessening the affects?

Anyway, back on topic!

Great looking build mate, how are you finding the federals? I've heard some minor complaints about the sidewalls from a few friends with relatively heavy cars, but none from any pug owners.
Thanks given by:
My supplier warned me about the pads aggressiveness on discs, and offered me to buy a set of better suited discs in the next sentence so I know where to go when I need new discs :-)

The federals are good for what you pay in comparison to 888's, not as good but half the price. I've noticed a fair amount of wear on the outside shoulder that could either be blamed on bad toe angles, low pressure or weak sidewalls, my belief is that options one and two are to blame on my case.
I'll be putting them to the test on Sunday again at the same place where the video in post #32 was shot. It'll be interesting to see how the wheel alignment affects my times.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, have you had a four wheel alignment and geometry done recently?
Thanks given by:
I did a toe and camber adjustment, diy version, a while back.
Thanks given by:
Liking your car a lot!! Great project. Heated seats FTW!! Smile
Thanks given by:
(22-08-2014, 12:39 AM)Pebbles167 Wrote: Out of interest adam, my Rallye has these pads, and was warned about damaging the wheels. Any way of lessening the affects?

Anyway, back on topic!

Great looking build mate, how are you finding the federals? I've heard some minor complaints about the sidewalls from a few friends with relatively heavy cars, but none from any pug owners.

Not sure tbh, I can't see wax and constant cleaning helping much as the bits of disc burn into the paint...
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Naff all you can do really... It's hot bits of metal flying off the discs burning into the paint...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(22-08-2014, 12:39 AM)Pebbles167 Wrote: Out of interest adam, my Rallye has these pads, and was warned about damaging the wheels. Any way of lessening the affects?

Anyway, back on topic!

Have to say I found these brilliant on track at combe earlier in the year although havent ever tried r888 etc to compare them to for the price I don't think you can go too far wrong
Thanks given by:
I've got one more chance to test the car on track this season, on October 1st the insurance runs out for the year so I'll park it in the garage and rip the engine out :-)

Last time on track unfortunately didn't result in any better times, think I ran with too much air in the tires.
Thanks given by:
Went to the garage to prep the toy for the last Sprint of the season, decided to switch the wheels around and put the good ones up front, last time i felt the fronts were letting go too soon, it'll be interesting to see if this little fix helps.
I also adjusted the toe to get a little bit more toe out, and straighten the weel up a little, gave it 1/2 turn.

Front vs. rears. RHS The rear here shows the RS-R typical "crack" through the rubber (not seen in photo) The front showed the same but it's been worn down completely and cant be seen anymore.
[attachment=19149]

Front vs. Rears LHS
[attachment=19150]

All i need to bring for a day of fun Smile Never had a brakedown yet (except for the brake pad incident of 2010)
[attachment=19152]
Thanks given by:
New personal best! Cut 5sec of my previous record :-D
2bar warm pressure front and rear gave really good grip, had a passenger who gave me a few pointers on how to drive and he almost flew out of the chair :-D
Thanks given by:
I was given a 2 minute lesson on TIG welding, then went to work on a stainless steel fuel swirl pot.

Had to get back to work but I'll continue with it the coming week Smile
[Image: 754e0e31fa6e6ff31474d24c78839746.jpg]
[Image: 73020fdc64d3b40e0d62365c967a8fdb.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Work has progressed slightly, almost ready to lift the engine out of the bay.
Found this when peering through the inlet:
[Image: 4a2181f49286c18ee42e1940acb2a69d.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Tore the engine out today, came out nicely with some wiggling :-)
[Image: fc6058131a3377bb16f7e4eb58a80a51.jpg]

After that I decided to have a look at the ecu, I had noticed that it was sealed with hot glue, so someone has been inside it in the past.
This was revealed after I prized (is that grammatically correct?) the lid open :
[Image: 7c7363f6356e499aea26c72f1336145b.jpg]

Now I just want to know what's been done! The Rev limiter is still in place, that I know.
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2014, 11:47 AM)Janne L Wrote: From a couple of months back:

This was before i did any chassis alignement, so basically, the car was too low, had zero camber, and 15mm toe in, it was eating tires like, a tire eating machine!

Nifty little racer!

What's the current config?
Thanks given by:
Those RSRs and the "cracks"...thats normal and safe and will be 100% fine. Part of the moulding.

How good are they REALLY?? Heard a lot of good reviews about them...esp at half the cost of r888s
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2014, 07:16 PM)newdirtyb Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 11:47 AM)Janne L Wrote: From a couple of months back:

Nifty little racer!

What's the current config?
Current setup is maximum camber possible with these top mounts, should be around - 3deg, I have a note of the measurements in my little black book.
A few mm total toe out (2-3mm measured @16" rim)
and I've raised it up to about - 20mm from original height to keep the control arms below horizontal level.

I'm thinking about making some extensions for the steering arms and lower ball joint to let me lower it a bit more while still keeping the roll center above the tarmac :-)

(11-10-2014, 07:20 PM)Piggy Wrote: Those RSRs and the "cracks"...thats normal and safe and will be 100% fine. Part of the moulding.

How good are they REALLY?? Heard a lot of good reviews about them...esp at half the cost of r888s
I gave some thoughts on them earlier in this thread I believe.
As long as you find the correct pressure for your car / setup / weather I found them to perform great!
I've had 888s before, when the car was stock, and without taking price into account, the toyos are a bit grippier and have stiffer side walls, but the federals are not far behind at all, especially if you are not trying to squeeze that final tenth of a second around the track I'd go with federals any day of the week.
I am interested in the new nankang ns2r though :-)
Thanks given by:
That's not one of those bloody ebay chips is it?
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2014, 07:53 AM)RetroPug Wrote: That's not one of those bloody ebay chips is it?
That's what I'd like to know.. Still waiting for a reply from the previous owner if he knows anything about it.
Thanks given by:
Hmm, looks like a capacitor...weird.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
It was planned to be done last weekend but certain events in the Stockholm archipelago took me away from home.. But today I got the gearbox and engine separated and hung the engine in the engine stand.

Discovered that both flywheel and pressure plate had surface cracks and discolouration from heat.. Sad byt the decision to get a lightened flywheel just got so much easier Smile
[Image: b429702e5e1b18d512f2c9016ed6ed88.jpg]
[Image: cf224cbbb055e586dd647fd6f2b0d565.jpg]

Diiiiiirty!
[Image: de116063d29afa374511f734c3f87ddc.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2014, 04:36 PM)Janne L Wrote: [Image: 7c7363f6356e499aea26c72f1336145b.jpg]

Now I just want to know what's been done! The Rev limiter is still in place, that I know.

Is that blue tac around that capacitor?
That socketed chip is not a eBay job that I'm aware of. Ive seen that done as a professional remap by some people!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2014, 09:08 PM)Niall Wrote: Is that blue tac around that capacitor?
That socketed chip is not a eBay job that I'm aware of. Ive seen that done as a professional remap by some people!

I guess i'll have to poke it to find out Heart
Anyone know if it's possible to talk to the ECU without it being in the car?
Thanks given by:
Ordered a lightened flywheel to replace the busted one. Can't decide whether to tell the wife or not :-P
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2014, 04:36 PM)Janne L Wrote: This was revealed after I prized (is that grammatically correct?) the lid open :

Perfectly correct, although spelt the wrong (American) way. :p

That flywheel and clutch has seen some abuse, not seen heat-fracturing like that before! Do you have anything special to replace the clutch, or is it staying stock for now?

Really like this project, although not convinced on the heated seats in a track toy, think of the weight! lol
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 rallye trackday project twangy 383 178,557 19-03-2020, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  FXZ Steve's China HDi - Daily Driver (Picture Heavy) FXZ Steve 17 3,868 19-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Last Post: FXZ Steve