welded wastegate help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
welded wastegate help
Well was adjustin the wastegate yday to stop the boost at 20psi to add more fuel and i realised that its welded shut. Is there anyway to override this and control boost.?

Its a t2 turbo

HDI D'Turbo Daily Driver ---- XUD D'Turbo Project
Thanks given by:
You could try to grind the weld off, if it has just been spot welded?
Thanks given by:
Depends how its been welded. If its been done by a turbo company they might actually of removed the gate itself and welded in plugs.

You then have 2 choices (well 3 really)

- Control the boost via limiting the fueling.

- Fit an External Wastegate.

- Replace the turbo.
Thanks given by:
Its probably been pikeyed and tonnes of weld spewed all over the gate itself, only need a tack on the arm to hold it shut! If its a cheap standard turbo you'd probably be best of leaving it and controlling with the fuel (Read: saving money and buying a bigger blower)
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2014, 04:17 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Depends how its been welded. If its been done by a turbo company they might actually of removed the gate itself and welded in plugs.

You then have 2 choices (well 3 really)

- Control the boost via limiting the fueling.

- Fit an External Wastegate.

- Replace the turbo.

How hard is it to put an external wastegate on.
Just i wanna run more fuel but keep boost where it is

Thanks given by:
on this, quite difficult as it needs to go in between the turbo and manifold,

still doable, i would suggest hte limiting factors are cost and space.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Ahryt. Fook that. Thanks for the info, new turbo it is Smile

Thanks given by:
Could possibly use the existing egr exhaust port to form an external wastegate.
More hassle than it is worth though.
Thanks given by:
T2 turbo is big enough really to just rely on the fuel anyway, I wouldnt worry about it.

If it was a GT15 it would be more of an issue. You should have plenty of fuel/power/flow with the wastegate closed all the time with a T2 and shouldnt have an issue with it overboosting too much. In reality these turbos are so old/inefficient that they dont make too much boost anyway even with the gates closed.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(29-07-2014, 10:36 AM)Dave Wrote: T2 turbo is big enough really to just rely on the fuel anyway, I wouldnt worry about it.

If it was a GT15 it would be more of an issue. You should have plenty of fuel/power/flow with the wastegate closed all the time with a T2 and shouldnt have an issue with it overboosting too much. In reality these turbos are so old/inefficient that they dont make too much boost anyway even with the gates closed.
Its boostin 1.5 bar on a lucas now and feels farely slow. Have a fmic and a bosch pump on the way for it.
Should sort it out. Goin to fit them and set it up for about 1.7/1.8 bar gov modded.

Thanks given by:
The fuel pump has lda ground and fueling is set at around 22psi but that was running a closed waste gate k14 turbo which is similar in size to a t2 , another quarter of a turn on max fuel saw boost peaking at over 30psi so id adjust in small incraments mate if i was u till u find the amiunt of fuel/boost combo u like
Thanks given by:
Ahryt thats sound. Cant wait to get it on and runnin right. Lucas is shit with t2. There not bad with a gt15 tho...

Thanks given by:
Yeah had an r reg on a lucas pump , can feel the difference between lucas and bosch even on standard tune the bosch just seems to pull better
Thanks given by:
(29-07-2014, 10:18 AM)anto Wrote: Could possibly use the existing egr exhaust port to form an external wastegate.

problem with this is it would causse massive turbulance in the manifold, as gases would have to reverse direction and flow up the downpipe with the EGR in it.. its difficult to retrofit,
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(30-07-2014, 09:47 PM)toseland Wrote:
(29-07-2014, 10:18 AM)anto Wrote: Could possibly use the existing egr exhaust port to form an external wastegate.

problem with this is it would causse massive turbulance in the manifold, as gases would have to reverse direction and flow up the downpipe with the EGR in it.. its difficult to retrofit,

If using an egr manifold there will already be turbulence caused by that port anyway. Using it as a wastegate isn't going to make much difference except to allow boost control. The pro's outweigh the con's IMO.

I realise it isn't ideal though....
Thanks given by:
no even more so, as the EGR is only really utilised at low revolutions, and only makes up a small percentage of the overall exhaust volume when its open,

not to mention the actual hole in the manifold, is only about 65% of hte total wastegate size in the turbo itself, at full chat you are talking about a pressure pulse affecting the dynamics of cy;inder 1's down pipe, having to effectively reverse some of hte flow,... which increases backpressure somewhat etc etc...
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
The thing is a wastegate is always gonna cause turbulence but its better than ridonkculously high EMP's.

Another bonus of a VGT, no(less) turbulence.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T2 wastegate arm AdamInNi 4 1,356 02-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Dave
  T2 wastegate pbell283 20 4,404 06-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Last Post: toseland
  Welded wastegate questions scottbmxer 5 1,252 12-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Jesskendall123