Side skirt extensions and rear diffuser side pieces

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Side skirt extensions and rear diffuser side pieces
Thought i would share the latest addition, rear defuser is next but i might try and find some heat resistant stuff for that.

[attachment=17803]

[attachment=17804]
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks good! Got any pictures of it underneath?
Trying to improve the under-floor aero?
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Glad to see I am not the only one thinking of a rear diffuser and these side aero fins
Thanks given by:
Can't really see it, too shiny lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Am I missing something?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Ive only done it as a strip down each side, could do it with a couple of sheets to cover the entire underside if you wanted to. It would just be trying to fix them in place as its pretty flexi stuff, also not particularly heat resistant so the exhaust could be a problem.
Thanks given by:
So today i had nothing to do so i got on with a little more aero. The plan is to eventually make a rear diffuser, I've already got a rough cut piece of plastic for that but for now it was just to get the side pieces on.

got the idea from here CLICKY

Though they looked pretty smart and fairly easy to make. And for once i took pictures as i went to heres a how to....

Step one: using cardboard or paper make a template for your pieces
[attachment=18702]

Step two: Once your happy with your shape trace it onto your plastic or metal and cut it out
[attachment=18703]
[attachment=18704]

Step 3: cover or spray your pieces if you wish to do so
[attachment=18705]

Step 4: now you need to align your pieces and drill the holes for the brackets
[attachment=18706]

as i said i intend on fitting a diffuser so have used an off cut of the plastic under each bracket to make sure they dont need to be altered when that is fitted.

Step five: line up and mark your pieces to be drilled, remember measure twice cut once. drill your holes and test fit them
[attachment=18707]

Step six: paint your hardware, silver bolts are easy to get hold of but not always pleasing to look at
[attachment=18708]

Step seven: once all your paint is dry, refit your pieces and admire your handy work
[attachment=18709]
[attachment=18710]
Thanks given by:
Well its interesting thats for sure.
Thanks given by:
Different i know, and probably disliked by most. Oh well, they can deal with it.
Thanks given by:
Subtle but smart. Thought about building a full rear diffuser for my car, but after a lot of consideration, it was deemed aerodynamically worthless without an entire sub-sheet.

Looks awesome though Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
My plan is to go from the boot floor behind the beam and then flat to the bottom of the bumper, should make a bit of difference as the rear bumper is just catching it all atm. I want to put some fins on but figuring out the best way without loads of brackets and screws.
Thanks given by:
Be interesting to see how this goes...I been drawing up plans for underfloor stuff for a while.

What material you using...where you get it from?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Think its just acrylic stuff i think, not too sure tbh, its not heat resistant but ive got heat wrap and checked my exhaust temps after a run an it shouldnt be an issue, ill keep a close eye on it when i fit it. Theres a local building plastics place. Its actually a packing sheet, 2mm in black rather than 3mm in white, so better for me and it was 1/3 of the price. Im keen to see where you get with a sump guard piggy, im going to start lookig at sorting one when after this.
Thanks given by:
So today this happened...

[attachment=19014]
Thanks given by:
Ummm.... Confused
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Haha, bit lairy but i like it
Thanks given by:
Saw this on IG. Love it. Right up my street!
Thanks given by:
defiantly interested in seeing how a full rear defuser would look
Thanks given by:
The first mock up is in place, not sure where to go with it now.

[attachment=19441]
Thanks given by:
That looks good.
Thanks given by:
I think there's a lot of potential on a 306 for a decent diffuser, there's an awful lot of space behind the bumper. Looks a good start, you clearly looked at all the same project threads as me, as that all looks very familiar!
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Barely read project threads tbh, try not to look within the forum for inspiration.

Going to mock up some fins for the centre soon, see what they look like. Nearly out of plastic now though and i cant get another sheet.
Thanks given by:
great stuff. now put them into production for the rest of us to buy!
Thanks given by:
Not on this forum, elsewhere, but the guy did exactly what you've done for skirts and rear corner pieces.
Thanks given by:
oh ok. bmw one i linked up top? that was a quick google for diy aero stuff. then found the plastic sheeting which fitted the bill perfectly. the problem with the diffuser (if you can call it that) at the moment is its got a really awkward bend to fit to the bumper on the right hand side, where it has to bend in two directions to come down from the floor and then line up against the bumper, not alot i can do about that i dont think unless i cut it and make it almost three part.
Thanks given by:
My idea was to cut a decent chunk out of the middle of the rear bumper and have a fairly 'traditional' diffuser. It'd be a bit boxy unless you had some fiberglass skills, or a clever way of bending the sheet.

Wait... Come down from the floor? You don't want to be coming down towards the back of the car, surely?
Thanks given by:
dont want to be going flat either, unless you take it all the way to the fuel tank, which makes fixing tricky and working it around/over/through the beam. and my sheet wasnt big enough to go that far anyway. this was basicly to stop the rear bumper being a massive air brake. so mine comes flat off the boot floot as there is a brace going across on the estate.
Thanks given by:
Surely you wana come under the beam and tank to the floor of the car?!
That huge exhaust gap is guna kill the aero a bit too, no?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
So easy to make an exhaust blown diffuser also!

Long as you can make it withstand the heat, would be win!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2014, 10:01 PM)Piggy Wrote: Surely you wana come under the beam and tank to the floor of the car?!
That huge exhaust gap is guna kill the aero a bit too, no?

Boxing the exhaust in is probably going to melt something though.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear passenger side door won't open DonGonzo 0 884 19-10-2020, 10:25 PM
Last Post: DonGonzo
  Removing and Refitting Side Skirts JTaylor2005 19 4,641 03-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Hdi sear side airbags toseland 8 2,118 30-07-2016, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Toms306