Strange knocking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange knocking
My car is all of a sudden making a knocking noise when I'm off the power or when I push the clutch down. It sounds like its coming from the engine bay but I'm not 100%, I can feel the knocking through the gear stick and the clutch pedal. Any one know what this could be? Like exhaust or something?
Thanks given by:
Gearbox...TU gearboxes are notoriously made of cheese. My 1.4 went through nearly 3 in its time with me!
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(04-07-2014, 10:48 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Gearbox...TU gearboxes are notoriously made of cheese. My 1.4 went through nearly 3 in its time with me!

Aww that sucks :/ looks like I'm gonna struggle selling it now
Thanks given by:
Cost me 300 when the box went on mine to have it replaced by a garage(did the clutch at the same time , could do it much cheaper yourself

Although mine didnt give any warning just pulled out of work there was a Big Bang and then any time you tried pulling away it would feel like something was wedged against the floor
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2014, 07:41 AM)rocker8742 Wrote: Cost me 300 when the box went on mine to have it replaced by a garage(did the clutch at the same time , could do it much cheaper yourself

Although mine didnt give any warning just pulled out of work there was a Big Bang and then any time you tried pulling away it would feel like something was wedged against the floor

This is what I don't get there was no warning or noise it just happened, it's not extremely loud it's just noticeable. When accelerating it's fine and makes no noise at all but it makes the noise when your off the accelerator or pushing the clutch down.

If it was the gear box wouldn't it be a continuos noise?
Thanks given by:
It could just be a simple driveshaft! Though the gearboxes are crap (one of my 1.4s was on its 3rd box at 70k miles!) they tend to whine for a while first, as does a dying release bearing. It's not always continuous noise as the force on the diff bearings is reversed when you're coasting.
Thanks given by:
Yeah Tu boxes are notioriously bad. You could try an oil change/top up as a last ditch attempt but I'm doubtful. Also if it's knocking with the clutch down, it could well be the release bearing or pressure plate so it's box off time anyway
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2014, 10:05 AM)Niall Wrote: Yeah Tu boxes are notioriously bad. You could try an oil change/top up as a last ditch attempt but I'm doubtful. Also if it's knocking with the clutch down, it could well be the release bearing or pressure plate so it's box off time anyway

It only had the clutch done like 2 months ago :/ I'm selling it anyway because I'm buying Toms306 HDi. I'm not sure if I'm gonna get anything for it with this issue
Thanks given by:
They might've put the wrong 'box oil in unless you specified OEM oil?

This is what happened to my 'box after 2 months of the wrong oil....lots of filings!

[Image: Photo-0023-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2014, 10:10 AM)Toms306 Wrote: They might've put the wrong 'box oil in unless you specified OEM oil?

This is what happened to my 'box after 2 months of the wrong oil....lots of filings!

[Image: Photo-0023-1.jpg]

Oh wow that's not good, I may have to find a way to check it out. Thank god I'm getting a new car haha this one has been nothing but problems Undecided
Thanks given by:
After 3 1.4s I realised they're all nothing but problems. Wink

To check that you literally just drain the gearbox oil (8mm square plug). The plug is magnetic so catches all the filings.
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2014, 10:18 AM)Toms306 Wrote: After 3 1.4s I realised they're all nothing but problems. Wink

To check that you literally just drain the gearbox oil (8mm square plug). The plug is magnetic so catches all the filings.

I don't have any gearbox oil to top it back up with Sad
Thanks given by:
Hmm, you could buy some lol. Its about £15 for 2 litres at the dealers.

If it comes out clean (no filings) and into a clean container you can re-use it anyway as it will have been changed when the clutch was done...just to confirm or rule out the gearbox. Or take it back to the garage and ask them to check it maybe?
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2014, 10:32 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Hmm, you could buy some lol. Its about £15 for 2 litres at the dealers.

If it comes out clean (no filings) and into a clean container you can re-use it anyway as it will have been changed when the clutch was done...just to confirm or rule out the gearbox. Or take it back to the garage and ask them to check it maybe?

Yeah I may just drain in in a container and top it back up.... Anyone wanna buy a 1.4 for cheap? Big Grin
Thanks given by:
How much? Love a good project. Also got a box hanging about at work sonewhere I think
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2014, 11:18 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: How much? Love a good project. Also got a box hanging about at work sonewhere I think

£400? Not sure it is the gearbox could be something simple, I've done quite a bit of work to it so would be nice to see it go to someone on here. Has had a new clutch and clutch cable, new ICV. And has T&T
Thanks given by: