Possible fan issue?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible fan issue?
Hi All,

Had to change my rad straight after I bought the car as it was completely gone. You could blow holes in it it was that bad! Speechless

Anyway, fan kicks in very often and stays on for a long while after the car is stopped, even on shorter jaunts. The car doesn't sit at 80, instead fluctuating between 85 and 90 with the fan kicking in just above 80. It seems to stay on whilst driving and is on almost constantly. Was wondering whether this was 'normal' really

Coolant sensor was changed along with the rad so shouldn't be that.

Any help appreciated as always Smile
Thanks given by:
sounds like an air lock if it was fine before, does your heater blow hot?
Thanks given by:
Agreed with Dan that sounds like a air lock in the thermostat housing. Did you bleed the thermostat housing? Theres 3 points. 1 on the rad, one on the thermo housing and 1 on the heater matrix pipes
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys, yeah fan blows nice and hot.
Did take a little while for everything to sort itself out when it was done though! IIRC the top hose was cold and nothing was circulating for a long while, this did seem to sort itself out though.
The fan was doing the same thing before the rad was changed but we put this down to the rad being shite.
I'll have a go at bleeding the thermostat housing
Thanks given by:
Heater matrix was clear of air. Took the bung out and it was pissing out a steady stream that had my dad panicking Smile

Housing seemed to be the issue. Loosened off the bleed valve and their was all sorts of bubbling going on. Had the engine running to temperature and the fans on full blast and eventually the stream became more steady although there was still a little bit of bubbling after 10-15 minutes.

Used the coke bottle method, although there didn't seem to be any bubbles coming from the radiator into the extended header tank.
Thanks given by: