Oil in breather pipes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil in breather pipes
Hi Guys,

Sorry if I'm duplicating previous threads in asking this but I've had a bit of a hunt and have discovered, it seems, that oil getting blown through the breather pipes is fairly common on these engines (1997, phase 2, 1.4) but i'm not sure it's necessarily therefore normal. Has anyone else looked into this issue much? Mine was touch and go on emissions at the last mot and I think this may be the cause, there is a lot of oil making it from the rocker to the top of the air filter housing.

Is anyone aware of what might be causing this? I thought perhaps a blocked crank case breather but couldn't find one Undecided does if have one?

A solution I guess is to use a catch tank and vent it elsewhere but I'd rather start by trying to cure the cause than fix the symptom.

Cheers,

Steve
Thanks given by:
the tu series does tend to 'blow' a lot through the top breather hose, as it doesn't have a seperate one for the crankcase (the top one is essentially that) if it seems excessive then it may point to piston rings getting worn allowing blow-by, but all the tu stuff i've worked on has a fair bit of oil in the inlet / airbox after a period of time, any noticeable blue smoke out the exhaust?

has your oil breather pipe got the oil catcher in it? it looks pretty much like a spider caught in the pipe, and when it gets clogged they do tend to throw more towards the airbox, clean it out with a bit of engine degreaser, shove it back in and see if theres any improvement.

john
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PCV BREATHER VALVE viperjack 2 1,116 08-10-2015, 09:29 AM
Last Post: viperjack