'Wobbly' Rear End

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Wobbly' Rear End
No innuendo thankyou-please Tongue

Basically, if I steer quickly, you can feel the rear hesitate before stepping back into line, especially if you do a little 'chicane' on the motorway.

Any ideas people? I was guessing it could be beam mounts, but how can I diagnose what's going on?

Cheers
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
More than likely beam mounts. Jack the rear up and check for play in the rear wheels as well. Also, park it on level ground and look at it to see if you can see any camber.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I'm hoping it's just the mounts really, although I'll get round to a beam refurb eventually on my spare, low miles beam. I'll have a gander tomorrow I guess.
Thanks given by:
It's your tyres. No word of a lie.

Rainsport 2's have strange sidewalls, I had them on my cyclones and got the same rear end waggle when flicking the steering. Thought my mounts were away and nothing changed when I replaced them with new ones, even fitted a refurbed beam as I knew mine was out. Then discovered the wobble disappeared when I fitted the Speedlines with different tyres.

So my money's on the Rainsports
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just fitted new tyres and the garage only put 30psi in them, what a shock when i tried to steer round a bend, Id check the tyre pressures just to rule out the easy things
Thanks given by:
cwspellowe Wrote:It's your tyres. No word of a lie.

Rainsport 2's have strange sidewalls, I had them on my cyclones and got the same rear end waggle when flicking the steering. Thought my mounts were away and nothing changed when I replaced them with new ones, even fitted a refurbed beam as I knew mine was out. Then discovered the wobble disappeared when I fitted the Speedlines with different tyres.

So my money's on the Rainsports

I've always known this about the rainsports, but it's got much worse recently, had the rainsports on for over a year now! I'll check the tyre pressures in case, but I'm thinking it might be something else making it worse.
Thanks given by:
It's the soft shoulders on Rainsports that does that, put another 3-4psi in 'em and it'll probably sort it out.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Rippthrough Wrote:It's the soft shoulders on Rainsports that does that, put another 3-4psi in 'em and it'll probably sort it out.

^^ this man talks sense, as he is right, I ran my rainsports slightly harder than usual Smile

but then if you have had them on over a year you know what they feel like, if it feels strange to you then something must have changed, would have a good check over everything
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Hm my car does this, I thought it was just the beam being funny, but I realise now it only started doing it once I put newer tyres on it with bigger sidewalls Big Grin
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vague/wobbly steering Tom 15 3,149 12-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Connor