Is this illegal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this illegal?
[attachment=16981]

Is my tyre illegal or will I be okay? It's only my front right that has done this
Thanks given by:
think its 1.6mm over the centre 3/4
Thanks given by:
That's not illegal.

Its not right though, get your tracking checked lol!
Thanks given by:
(19-06-2014, 10:38 PM)Toms306 Wrote: That's not illegal.

Its not right though, get your tracking checked lol!

Yeh seems weird how it's only 1 wheel :/
Thanks given by:
Not really. Probably had a smack on that wheel (kerb in the ice before you got it maybe) and knocked the wheel inwards when you're driving straight...

Could also be something bent rather than just the tracking out.
Thanks given by:
(19-06-2014, 10:41 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Not really. Probably had a smack on that wheel (kerb in the ice before you got it maybe) and knocked the wheel inwards when you're driving straight...

Could also be something bent rather than just the tracking out.

Hmm I'll have to look into it, I can't find my locking wheel nut socket so can't even get the wheel off
Thanks given by:
fire is always a good way to remove the wheel...
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(19-06-2014, 10:47 PM)toseland Wrote: fire is always a good way to remove the wheel...

Hmm I think I'll pass on the fire haha
Thanks given by:
Thats a rasied block tread tyre....the outer edges have a raised tread block.

But I can see your central tread is at the tread depth indicator...which is 1.6mm....so I would say it is illegal or there abouts
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
That is illegal as although you can have the outer edge (1/8th of the width each side) bald as long as the carcas doesn't show I can see that you are on one of the wear indicators.

A car tyre has to have 1.6mm of tread depth or above across the central 3/4 of its with round its entire circumference.
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2014, 02:06 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: That is illegal as although you can have the outer edge (1/8th of the width each side) bald as long as the carcas doesn't show I can see that you are on one of the wear indicators.

A car tyre has to have 1.6mm of tread depth or above across the central 3/4 of its with round its entire circumference.

Shit :/ looks like the spare wheel is going on once I found the locking nut tool thing
Thanks given by:
Fitted a balljoint recently?
Thanks given by:
Untill you can get measurments no one can really comment yes or no. All I can say safly is if I saw that on mine I would replace it
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's buggered, looks like its worn the TDI and its not far off wearing through on that edge
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2014, 07:54 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: Untill you can get measurments no one can really comment yes or no. All I can say safly is if I saw that on mine I would replace it
No you can, Tyres have built in wear markers at 1.6mm and that tyre is clearly worn down to the level of the markers so you can say yes its illegal.

Look at the right one of the 2 main circumferential tread bands and at the bottom of the picture and you can see the marker.
Thanks given by:
I swear the large majority of the wear markers these days were set at 3mm?? Given that most places around the world 3mm is the minimum instead of 1.6mm which is why we get sent a load of part worns from abroad etc..
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
to be honest you should be asking yourself

"whats wrong with my car to scrub a tyre like that"

i would say illegal as it is to the descretion of the stopping officer
you also have a slice in the sidwall which is part of the structure of the tyre

would you want to put your kids in a car with poor tyres like shown i wouldn't
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2014, 11:12 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: I swear the large majority of the wear markers these days were set at 3mm?? Given that most places around the world 3mm is the minimum instead of 1.6mm which is why we get sent a load of part worns from abroad etc..

This. Wear markers aren't at the legal limit most of the time, its usually 2mm or more, in fact my pair of Marshalls (rears) have been on the outer wear bars for 2 years lol, still 5mm tread in the middle, about 3mm at the edge on the bars.

The treads on the tyre in the pic look too well defined to be at 1.6mm...I've had several tyres down at the limit and they look almost slick by then.

Either way, I thought the thread was for the edgewear, which is clearly something wrong, even enthusiastic cornering doesn't scrub them that bad lol.
Thanks given by:
I would put my rep on the line to say that marker is a 1.6mm marker just from the look of it.

Tyres designes for the UK market should have the TDI's at 1.6mm and have a little triangle on the sidewall showing where to find them

If they are not at 1.6mm then they are likely to be a tyre imported from other countries where their limits are different. 3mm I believe in Germany.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I would imagine they are down to 1.6mm now as there is very little tred left, I'm hopefully getting cyclones at the end of the month of someone on here. But now I can't find my locking wheelnut removal tool so can't even get the wheel off :/
Thanks given by:
Yeah they are all 1.6mm..
Thanks given by:
What type of locking wheel nut is it?

Oh and just to add my 2p, most wear markers are more than 1.6, I will quite happily measure a handful of new tyres tomorrow to confirm
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2014, 12:53 PM)Connor Wrote: What type of locking wheel nut is it?

Oh and just to add my 2p, most wear markers are more than 1.6, I will quite happily measure a handful of new tyres tomorrow to confirm

[attachment=16984]
This one Connor
Thanks given by:
Can get those out easy, let me know if you cant find your key
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2014, 01:45 PM)Connor Wrote: Can get those out easy, let me know if you cant find your key

Will do mate if I don't find it in the next day or so I'll have to have some assistance getting them off haha
Thanks given by:
Smash an 18 mm socket over it.
Thanks given by:
Im pretty sure wear markers are normally 2mm so you still have 0.4mm before its illegal but there is still something big time wrong with your car to be causing that! I would get them replaced because even if its 2.0mm in the middle i bet you will still get done for them by a cop who doesn't know what they are doing.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Niall from what I've seen and measured (I have an approved tread depth measuring thing) most wear markers are 1.6mm or just over. Some tyres have dual 3mm and 1.6mm markers but I see enough tyres to know that that is a 1.6mm marker
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2014, 04:44 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Niall from what I've seen and measured (I have an approved tread depth measuring thing) most wear markers are 1.6mm or just over. Some tyres have dual 3mm and 1.6mm markers but I see enough tyres to know that that is a 1.6mm marker

Just been and measured the PS3s on the 306 and the Energy saver+'s on the Kia. Both are a 2mm marker Wink
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I dont have my tread gauge at home but I'll go and measure the stack of tyres in the garden with the calipers.

Back in 5.

So from the pile of dead tyres in the garden (collecting them for the tyre wall at the bottom of the garden) here are where the wear blocks are.

Bridgestone Truanza - 1.6mm (also has 1mm blocks)
Goodyear Eagle F1 - 1.6mm
Michelin Pilot Exalto - 1.6mm
Hankook Someshit - 2mm
Avon ZZ3 - 2mm
Thanks given by: