notch in steering

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
notch in steering
when i turn the steering wheel while stationary and at low speeds i get this slight notch in the steering. i'm not sure what this is. power steering pump? top suspension mounts? buggered shock absorbers? anyone had a problem like this before?
Thanks given by:
Could poss be the steering UJ seizing up
Thanks given by:
(17-06-2014, 07:52 PM)Frosty Wrote: Could poss be the steering UJ seizing up

how would i go about checking this?
Thanks given by:
Pop the UJ off the steering rack. Think there is a clip and 13mm bolt to undo and then see how it feels. We had 1 in work the other day which had the issue
Thanks given by:
If you mean it catchs a little then jolts most likly top mounts of front struts. Never had a uj sieze!! Start the car bonnet open and get a friend to touch the top the the suspension when u turn on both sides. He should be able to feel what side it is
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2014, 05:53 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: If you mean it catchs a little then jolts most likly top mounts of front struts. Never had a uj sieze!! Start the car bonnet open and get a friend to touch the top the the suspension when u turn on both sides. He should be able to feel what side it is

so if you touch the top mount when steering you should be able to feel a notch/jolt if it is buggered?
Thanks given by:
Yeah but obviously under the bonnet not touching in the turret you will jam your.hand
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2014, 08:16 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: Yeah but obviously under the bonnet not touching in the turret you will jam your.hand

yeah i figured. will have a look.
Thanks given by:
No problem. 9 tines out of ten its the bearing in top moubt
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2014, 08:23 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: No problem. 9 tines out of ten its the bearing in top moubt

if it does need replacing, can i just replace the bearing or is it just better getting new top mounts?
Thanks given by:
I would do both while in there but thats me. If the top mount looks fine slap a bearing in it. I think I have some bearings sitting about to if you cant find any
Thanks given by:
hmm, thinking about it, i'll probs do the whole lot tbf. i'm in need of some new shocks, so will probs give the whole suspension a overhall, shocks, top mounts, drop links etc. have you any idea of the size of the bearings?
Thanks given by:
No idea about size? Why do u need to know that order from factors with mounts. Was unaware they had diffrent sizes
Thanks given by:
[quote='bashbarnard' pid='443206' dateline='1403089548']
No idea about size? Why do u need to know that order from factors with mounts. Was unaware they had diffrent sizes
[/quote

ahh, yeah i didn't know if there were different sizes aswell, didn't know if gti6 was different to any others, I'm guessing its all the same.
Thanks given by:
Is your tacking okay? My steering made lots of funny noises and was terrible at slow speed before i had it tracked.
Thanks given by:
Top mounts and bearings are the same size on all 306s. Smile

I have also had a notchy one....the car hadn't been driven for a year and it rusted solid! Drove it home with Tue solid bearing moving in the mount, now that was notchy! lol
Thanks given by:
I did only say UJ as an idea as you didn't have it on your list of things it could be. Best bet to do is jack the front of the car up and have both wheels off the ground and then undo both track rod ends and turn the hubs to see how they feel
Thanks given by:
The bearings in the column can wear out, has happened on my dt and my '6 column is starting to squeak
[Image: 65613_10200761612710317_1548698655_n_zps68c27004.jpg]

CONVOI EXCEPTIONNEL
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2014, 11:43 AM)SRowell Wrote: Is your tacking okay? My steering made lots of funny noises and was terrible at slow speed before i had it tracked.

tracking seems okay. I'll get on the case when ive got another set of hands to help me.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  40mm with 1 notch. paul7278 7 2,529 17-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31