Mods :P

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mods :P
Okay I'm looking for the best tire you guys know of, best springs, dampers, bigger brakes (but what to go for) Also got a strut brace for the front, new engine mounts, plus powerflex engine mounts (to keep it a bit stiffer)

I know the car's a 1.4 but I want it to handle like a go kart due to the fact it can hardly move cause of it's small engine, lol I'm not changing engine as it's not my car, but handling wise, I'll more than happy do.
Thanks given by:
How longs a piece of string? We could spec you some dampers and springs that could be regarded as 'the best' but they would be thousands.

Imo i bloody love the set up i have and i know a lot of others go for a similar set up. Pilot sport 3 tyres, Bilstein B8 shocks and Eibach springs up front, rose jointed adjustable drop links, B6 rear shocks and 21mm TBs
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Sure you want shocks and springs Jay? Could get some of these cheap coilovers tbh...

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/peu...IKYwfD_BwE
Thanks given by:
(13-06-2014, 04:32 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Sure you want shocks and springs Jay? Could get some of these cheap coilovers tbh...

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/peu...IKYwfD_BwE

Nah, want, springs and shocks mate!
Thanks given by:
Mine are in the for sale section Wink

I've got a nice exhaust too...
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
The best suspension is the one that is set up correctly for the car.
Adjustable dampers etc. are the best that money can buy but that is in terms of quality, precision, repeatability, lack of fade etc. They still rely on being set up correctly.

Secondly, the best dampers you can buy are several times more than the value of your car.

Each.

Cars are bound by the laws of physics, and they are relatively complex dynamic systems.
You can go a bit lower and a bit stiffer and see an improvement with a trade-off in comfort, but an optimum set up simply cannot be reached with fit and forget bolt-ons.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(13-06-2014, 11:46 PM)RetroPug Wrote: The best suspension is the one that is set up correctly for the car.
Adjustable dampers etc. are the best that money can buy but that is in terms of quality, precision, repeatability, lack of fade etc. They still rely on being set up correctly.

Secondly, the best dampers you can buy are several times more than the value of your car.

Each.

Cars are bound by the laws of physics, and they are relatively complex dynamic systems.
You can go a bit lower and a bit stiffer and see an improvement with a trade-off in comfort, but an optimum set up simply cannot be reached with fit and forget bolt-ons.

Yeah so? Who cares about the price of the car, it's about the price of the stuff going on it, the dearer the better Tongue and I'll think about getting some of them "best" dampers :-)
Thanks given by:
Due to it having a few donkeys power...

B4 Bilstein and Eibach springs. (not just saying this coz mine are for sale soon!)
Powerflex front bushes and solid rear mounts
GTi or Dturbo disc rear beam will stiffen up the back.
GTi front brakes.
Some braided brake lines and 5.1 brake fluid.
You have a top strut brace, so get a bottom one too.

And something like PS3 tyres.

I would weigh your aftermarket alloys too, as I expect they weigh as much a lead. Lighter wheel=less unsprung weight=better handling.

Should go round corners pretty well then.

If you want a cheaper setup. Buy some GTi or VTS dampers and springs, lower the back to suit and get some HDi 266mm brakes.
Service it all well and get some decent rubber. Fit Partner P bushes. If you shop around minus the tyres you could probably buy all that for £150-175
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(14-06-2014, 03:49 AM)JethroJay Wrote:
(13-06-2014, 11:46 PM)RetroPug Wrote: The best suspension is the one that is set up correctly for the car.

Each.

Yeah so? Who cares about the price of the car, it's about the price of the stuff going on it, the dearer the better Tongue and I'll think about getting some of them "best" dampers :-)

So, you can buy off-the-shelf components which are a bit stiffer and improve handling a bit, and when buying adjustable ones the more and more you pay you are paying for better precision, control and quality but unless they are set up correctly using some combination of mathematics/testing/modelling you are spending more money for no gain in handling or potentially worse handling.

The 2k each dampers will make your car handle worse than standard if they are set up poorly, so unless you have access to a 4-post rig and multibody dynamics software and know how to use it, or are willing to pay many thousands for someone who does to set them up, the 2k dampers are useless.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(14-06-2014, 06:54 AM)Piggy Wrote: Due to it having a few donkeys power...

B4 Bilstein and Eibach springs. (not just saying this coz mine are for sale soon!)
Powerflex front bushes and solid rear mounts
GTi or Dturbo disc rear beam will stiffen up the back.
GTi front brakes.
Some braided brake lines and 5.1 brake fluid.
You have a top strut brace, so get a bottom one too.

And something like PS3 tyres.

I would weigh your aftermarket alloys too, as I expect they weigh as much a lead. Lighter wheel=less unsprung weight=better handling.

Should go round corners pretty well then.

If you want a cheaper setup. Buy some GTi or VTS dampers and springs, lower the back to suit and get some HDi 266mm brakes.
Service it all well and get some decent rubber. Fit Partner P bushes. If you shop around minus the tyres you could probably buy all that for £150-175

This sounds like a super awesome plan, time to get saving and looking Smile
Thanks given by: