Starting problem....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting problem....
So, my starter needed changing because it had become 'lazy'. It would also just click when the key was turned and nowt would happen.
Anyway I bought a working one ( cheers Chris 90) fitted it and the car started..., starting instantly.
A day or two later the clicking noise is back but when it works it works great and starts within a crank or two.
Just looking for any suggestions on what to check.

Thanks in advance. Confused
Thanks given by:
earths and live connections at both ends . . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
defo, earth on to the engine above the gearbox is my guess.. (it was on mine, found out after it had a new battery and starter)

i now have a new huge earth cable to the battery terminal strapped to one of the alternator bolts.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I tried connecting the chassis to the negative using a welding cable, admittedly the battery end wasn't perfect but nothing changed starting wise.
Battery is a newish whopper, when it's working it cranks the engine over better than ever.
If I flick the key on and off a few times it will start eventually no probs. It seems worse when the engine is hot.
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2014, 07:26 PM)Uberderv Wrote: I tried connecting the chassis to the negative using a welding cable, admittedly the battery end wasn't perfect but nothing changed starting wise.
Battery is a newish whopper, when it's working it cranks the engine over better than ever.
If I flick the key on and off a few times it will start eventually no probs. It seems worse when the engine is hot.

that only works if your chassis is well grounded.. mine was doing EXACTLY the same thing..

if its doing its clicky thing, get a jump lead, clip it to the starter bracket or a solid lump of engine block (alternator bracket is good) and to the negative terminal directly,

then try to start it again.

this will sort out if its an earthing issue
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Odd starting problem. Danterzza 7 1,634 26-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Last Post: nominous
  XUD Starting Problem (Peugeot 306 1.9 DT) Gaz85 13 4,358 05-01-2014, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Gaz85
  Weird starting problem :s Ben 9 2,189 28-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Last Post: mattgreene