Oh great and wise HDI Gurus...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh great and wise HDI Gurus...
(22-06-2014, 04:14 PM)Niall Wrote: Where are you located?

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire - land of Puddings and sheep!
Thanks given by:
Oh ok. Bit too far from me then otherwise you could of used my PP lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(22-06-2014, 04:19 PM)Niall Wrote: Oh ok. Bit too far from me then otherwise you could of used my PP lol

No worries cheers anyway mate!

This is a royal pain in the ass, cant wait to get it sorted! I checked and my battery is all good, it may be the lift pump but i dont want to fork out good £s on a maybe im kinda stuck without PP Undecided
Thanks given by:
Its about £120 for a lift pump brand new. Im sure if you bought it and it didn't fix the problem, you could sell it on here for not much less. Alternatively put a post up seeing if anyone here thats local would mind swapping pumps for a drive to see if it fixes it.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
F*ck it im buying one, found one brand new for £94.95!
Thanks given by:
If it starts first time every time with a jump, ie extra power from another battery, then that's still pointing towards the battery. Try swapping the battery out with a known-good one, have a proper look at the earths while you're down there, they can also cause trouble with cranking speed.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
ok so the latest in my shed saga is.....

... took it to a diesel mechanic today of 20+years experience of diesel rail injection systems, plus his mate and another....

Him and his mate both concurred it was the HP pump that was knacked by filings coming from the knacked lift pump and suggested i swap the HP pump and the injectors too as the injectors would be knacked then they said for the amount i was paying i may as well buy a new engine as i could get one for £150..........

....then another guy turns up (so there are 4 of us crowding round my pug engine scratching heads etc - was quite comical) straight away said its a knackered injector as him and his mate both had the same issue with a berlingo and another pug (all similar engines) and we should do a leak off test, which we did there and then and guess what!? i have a knackered injector - so my question this time is should i replace all 4 injectors or can i replace just 1??

Also my back axle is stuffed, when i say stuffed i mean the offside rear wheel has a major lean inwards - another mechanic mate said it may be the stub axle or stub axle bolt thats bent?
Thanks given by:
Do all four if you're going to replace them, do bear in mind a leak-off test doesn't tell the whole story with injectors though. I doubt very much they are causing the starting issues though, how can they cause low rail pressure before they even fire...

The rear beam will almost certainly be knackered, when they go they usually develop a serious lean on the offside.

Did you try the battery trick?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(23-06-2014, 07:12 PM)Poodle Wrote: Do all four if you're going to replace them, do bear in mind a leak-off test doesn't tell the whole story with injectors though. I doubt very much they are causing the starting issues though, how can they cause low rail pressure before they even fire...

The rear beam will almost certainly be knackered, when they go they usually develop a serious lean on the offside.

Did you try the battery trick?

Not yet mate but its been suggested that the jump start made the starter motor spin faster than normal therefore increasing pressure and making the engine fire, the 1st injector was pissing diesel out the top the other 3 were just trickling we tried to clamp the hoses but couldnt do it sufficiently to make the engine fire... i also now have developed a battery problem..... with all this trying to start the engine malarky, batt light keeps coming on randomly when driving Undecided car is currently off road until i get a new injector and back axle, not giving up though!
Thanks given by:
I can see your reasoning there, either way the battery you have on there isn't supplying enough amps to spin the starter fast enough - generally an indication that it's dying or the charging system isn't working. Wink How about your earths, did you check those?

Oh ok, chronic leak off problem then, that'd do it.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The failing lift pump won't cause the hp pump to fail unless you've got no filtration between the lp and hp pump.... Which you do!!

The chronic leak off problem would cause it, but once again, someone saying it's knackered with no proof... Meh! Until they can show you why they think it's that.. Amount of times I've heard the good old 'Diesel mechanic with xx years experience' - doesn't matter, far as I can see that just says they're more likely to say they think they know what the problem is rather than actually finding out... Has anyone even pulled the fuel filter out to check for filings on either side of the filter media... I doubt it, yet they're all just instantly blaming components...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Your going to love this one..... the hex nut has rounded off so cant get it open unless i get a new filter housing..... lol
Thanks given by:
You could try and turn it via the pipes but I can almost gaurantee it will break haha
Thanks given by:
(26-06-2014, 10:14 PM)mcglynn Wrote: You could try and turn it via the pipes but I can almost gaurantee it will break haha

yeah - already been there! lol
Thanks given by:
Strap wrench around the outer edge of the lid will get it off.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
ok so thought i would post an update on whats been happening...

... bought some injectors of ebay, cleaned them up and stuck them in this morning - still wont start! Had to do the old carb cleaner down the air intake method to get her fired up, but it is running a lot smoother once its going and sounds loads better...

So im guessing its still a pressure problem..

So far i have replaced;

Brown relay
Lift pump
Injectors

And i have cleaned the FPR - i noticed one of the o rings was a little perished so am going to replace this and give it a whirl
Thanks given by:
ok so managed to get it on diagnostics this morning and it came up with glow plug relay and HP pump Undecided

Garage has it and will be sorting it - recon'd pump - £100 fitting - £80
They are also fitting my back axle as i dont have facitlity to do it myself for £75

Didnt think that was too bad, then i can start working on everything else!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  16v HDi 2.0 gurus.... Piggy 9 2,599 26-09-2016, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  help would be great pug17 6 1,528 01-01-2015, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Poodle