CV joint replacement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CV joint replacement
Hopefully going to be replacing a long overdue drivers side CV joint on friday, just wondering if there are any tips on the matter, ive done them before on a mk4 golf but i believe that on the 306 when you take the driveshaft out it pisses oil out? If so how much usually comes out? I know its unlikely but, is it possible to replace the CV joint without removing the driveshaft?

Cheers!
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
Isn't the drivers side a two-piece shaft, can you split it in the middle and just take the end piece off to replace the CV joint?
Thanks given by:
yes, you can knock it off without removing it if you're careful enough not to pull it out the gearbox

but much easier just to drain the gbox oil and put it back in - then you can put the shaft in a vice and do it much easier
Thanks given by:
You can just knock the CV joint off with the shaft still in place
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
always worth a gearbox oil change tho...
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Yep, chances are you're the first person to do it as well.
Thanks given by:
Will probably just drain the oil and replace it, probably hasn't been done in its 166k mile life haha, any particular type of oil i should use?
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
gearbox oil Tongue

not sure of grade tho, sure someone will come along..

however, drain the oil before you do the shaft that way if you do tug a little hard and it pops out you dont spread litres of oil on the ground by accident..
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CV joint gaiter replacement? Toby 8 3,051 05-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Last Post: samass