Anyone know anything about Mondeos?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone know anything about Mondeos?
Very tempted by the kit in a mondeo! After a poverty spec C5 its all very exciting!

Unfortunately it seems its the engine that lets it down. I've been warned off the 2.0 TDCi, apparently its a terrible engine with injector and fuel pump issues. I know there's a 2.2 which is better, but finding one with a sat nav in a nice colour has not gone well.

I know there are lots of diesel experts on here, can anyone shed any light?
Thanks given by:
I've had a 2.0 TDCi, the 160hp variant, and to be honest it was very good. Torquey, quiet and AMAZING economy. Problem is, I believe, EGR and injector woes. I have to say I never had them, and it was a company car so wasn't arsed.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Looking at pre 2008 cars, I thought the 2l were 110 or 130? With the 2.2 coming in at 155.

2.2 sounds much better tbh, but they are much rarer with the options Sad
Thanks given by:
If you want a 2.2 just go for the ST.
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2014, 07:14 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: If you want a 2.2 just go for the ST.

This. My brother has one. A real spot on car IMO.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Im looking at Ghia X models, mainly because of Sat Nav, rear headrest screens, electric and heated/cooled full leather.

Got 110bhp atm, I guess the ST has the sportier parts, not really into that. Just want a large, slow, comfy crusier with loads of toys that will get 45-50mpg!
Thanks given by:
Mine was a 2011 Mondeo Titanium X, 2.0 TDCi 163hp. Great car, not slow at all - plenty quick enough for motorway munching...

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Don't go for an ST if you like comfort. And Ghia X isn't quite all there, go for a Titanium X imo. Smile
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2014, 08:42 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Don't go for an ST if you like comfort. And Ghia X isn't quite all there, go for a Titanium X imo. Smile

Cant afford a post 2008 car Sad Ghia X is top spec for the cars im looking at!

Got under 2K and my C5, which is worth about 20p.
Thanks given by:
Its not, I nearly bought a Titanium X on an 04/05 plate iirc....the bugger sold it just before I got there though!

Heres a random one from a 2 second ebay search - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mondeo-2-...3a90be8a93

And a 2.2 (although that ones way out budget I know) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mondeo-2-...19ec9810ef
Thanks given by:
The 2.2 also has it's fair share of problems. However you could say that about most modern diesels of that era tbh. The TDCI engine isn't all that bad, sound a bit rough and has the usual injector and DMF problems.

Top spec models are very nice places to be though imo, comfy and quiet. My dad has had quite a few, even the 2.2 ST for a couple of years which didn't go wrong once, only sold it because someone crashed into it and he lost the love for it.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2014, 08:48 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Its not, I nearly bought a Titanium X on an 04/05 plate iirc....the bugger sold it just before I got there though!

Heres a random one from a 2 second ebay search - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mondeo-2-...3a90be8a93

According to parkers, Titanium X is below Ghia X. Ghia has a load of stuff as standard that is optional in the Titanium, such as heated/electric full leather

That one Tom, 2l TDCi (dodgy perhaps) with no sat nav or rear headrest screens! and is massively overpriced compared to others
Thanks given by:
My Dad has a Ghia X....the Titanium X had a load more extra's than his, plus the shiny chrome trims! Don't go by parkers spec lists, they're terrible lol!

The X means full heated leather btw, you can get both a Ghia and Titanium (not X) with cloth seats if you were a tight arse when buying one new...
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2014, 08:50 AM)Ricky Wrote: The 2.2 also has it's fair share of problems. However you could say that about most modern diesels of that era tbh. The TDCI engine isn't all that bad, sound a bit rough and has the usual injector and DMF problems.

Top spec models are very nice places to be though imo, comfy and quiet. My dad has had quite a few, even the 2.2 ST for a couple of years which didn't go wrong once, only sold it because someone crashed into it and he lost the love for it.

Im sure the 2l TDCI isnt as bad as the people on Passionford claim, but I need people who know to think about this for me! cos im clueless when it comes to engines Sad
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2014, 08:42 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Don't go for an ST if you like comfort. And Ghia X isn't quite all there, go for a Titanium X imo. Smile

Say whattttt?! Have you been in the ST recaro seats?! Dayyumm!
Thanks given by:
The seats are fine...the ride on the daft low profile tyres is terrible!
Thanks given by:
Low profile = sounds expensive!

Tom ,full leather is a must, with a dribbly baby! Titanium X has half leather!
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2014, 08:56 AM)Toms306 Wrote: The seats are fine...the ride on the daft low profile tyres is terrible!

Ah, yes.. That's not great.

But the low profiles do look amazing.

Might get some pics in a second lol
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2014, 08:54 AM)cpikey316_ Wrote:
(30-05-2014, 08:50 AM)Ricky Wrote: The 2.2 also has it's fair share of problems. However you could say that about most modern diesels of that era tbh. The TDCI engine isn't all that bad, sound a bit rough and has the usual injector and DMF problems.

Im sure the 2l TDCI isnt as bad as the people on Passionford claim, but I need people who know to think about this for me! cos im clueless when it comes to engines Sad

TBH you need to look at actual owners reviews rather then what people say on a forum. Like I would say the HDI I have is a good reliable car with enough power for everyday work, but say that on the '6 forum and I would probably be banned.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2014, 08:57 AM)cpikey316_ Wrote: Low profile = sounds expensive!

Tom ,full leather is a must, with a dribbly baby! Titanium X has half leather!

Tyres are expensive, just a cheap budget for Dads (V6 Ghia X estate) costs more than 2 decent ones for the 306! lol

Where did you get that from? The Titanium X's I've seen all had the full X spec heated leather!! Unless it was an option...that most people chose lol.
Thanks given by:
Housemate has a 2.0 130 tdci.
It's not bad a car actually, a little dull but as a distance driver its pretty good. I'd describe the interior plastics as cheap but thick, so you get a satisfying thud when you close stuff but its not all that great to the touch. But it is a grandad car so what to expect.
Engine wise he's had some minor problems, one of the boost pipes have a habit of splitting but a silicone replacement can be had for 30 quid. I think the dual mass flywheel is failing as it has a knocking sound but its been doing it for years and is still going.
The fan direction is controlled by electric motors and the fins inside can break and cannot be replaced without removing and replacing the whole control unit, we bodged the system back together so it kind of works.
The biggest problem though is the water leak, it's been leaking for years from the back somewhere but it can't be found. Ford charged £200 to fix it and a year later it leaked again has caused mould growth etc etc think it's a somewhat common thing but still havent been able to find a fix
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2014, 08:58 AM)Ricky Wrote:
(30-05-2014, 08:54 AM)cpikey316_ Wrote:

TBH you need to look at actual owners reviews rather then what people say on a forum. Like I would say the HDI I have is a good reliable car with enough power for everyday work, but say that on the '6 forum and I would probably be banned.

More good than bad TBH, but those injector issues are worrying, apparently the fuel pump bearings break up, depositing bits of bearings in the injectors and rest of the fuel system.

How can I test this on a test drive?
Thanks given by:
There is no sorta test, they work or don't.. lol can get slight misfires etc but most of the time they just die and won't start.

Your looking at £800+ to fix the pump issues and new injectors plus fuel tank and lines all cleaned. And the injectors re coded lol
Thanks given by:
Nothing like smoke or dodgy idle? The fact that they could die 10 minutes into ownership is worrying

But then they may last years!
Thanks given by:
We've got a 2008 TDCi 140 Ghia estate, had it about 18 months and the only issue aside from tyres so far (touch wood) is a rear brake calliper at MoT time - common fault apparently on both this model and the previous one.

Engine is quiet and smooth, and using it to commute a month or so back before I got my Pug the OBC was showing 51mpg. Plenty of power when you plant the right foot too.

Seriously spacious inside, wife and I are both over 6' and there's still plenty of space in the rear for our leggy teenage daughter and young son plus the dogs in the boot. It's larger than the Merc E class apparently.
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2014, 09:47 AM)cpikey316_ Wrote: Nothing like smoke or dodgy idle? The fact that they could die 10 minutes into ownership is worrying

But then they may last years!

You can get smoke when you put your foot down, but that could just be a MAF.

They really are a bugger lol and the mk3 mondeo ain't that good on fuel iirc you'll be lucky to get 48 ish mpg on a run..
Thanks given by:
Working in a ford dealership, I can tell you we get alot of high milage mondeos in of all ages and there isnt that many that come in for injector issues
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I was looking at them last year. The amount of non runners on ebay due to pump and injectors put me right off
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
That age of mondeo is the only one I dont know alot about. I totally forgot of those engines are PSA derived but aot of fords of that era would be.

Most of the 2.2 cars arereally specced from what I found when I looked at them as if they arent STs they are largely Ghia X or Tit X. I personally wouldnt go for the ST as its got too much of an image. The Tit X is better specced, cheaper and the only thing id miss from the ST would be the seats.

I'f I could I'd stretch to the next shape along as that is a gorgeous car, really well thought out, really spacious feels really well put together, handles beautifully and generaly makes the current focus look like a hyundai in terms of how much better the mondeo is at EVERYTHING.
Thanks given by:
The engines in the mk3 aren't psa they are basically the same as transit engines, more simular to fwd but transits don't seem to suffer with all the issues Confused
Thanks given by: