The Mysterious leak PICTURE HEAVY

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Mysterious leak PICTURE HEAVY
Right I posted a few weeks back about a gearbox leak. I was under the car today fitting a fly wheel plate and thought id see how the leak was and if it was getting worse ect.
Noticed alot of oil literally just everywhere pretty much so I took some pictures to see what you guys thought.

IIRC this is the passenger side Drive shaft
[Image: IMG_0499_zps805ce958.jpg]

Gearbox Drain plug
[Image: IMG_0500_zps8302f402.jpg]

Driverside Driveshaft
[Image: IMG_0492_zps7542364a.jpg]

So yeah it looks like Ive got some sort of gearbox oil leak, but then I noticed this

[Image: IMG_0496_zpse5a8bc3d.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0495_zpsfd52464b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0494_zps4c94fe41.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0493_zps40886499.jpg]

Oil around the sump. Now im not sure where the leak is, it could be engine oil or gearbox oil, or both(hope not). But I need to get it sorted, Ive got a feeling theres definately a gearbox leak as the f**ked gearbox i took out when I got this car was bone dry, literally took the drain plug out and nothing came out. But yeah I would greatly appreciate it if you let me know what you thought so I can get this sorted ASAP. Thanks
[Image: e0d4ac7c-727f-46a8-ae0c-d4a324a8a667_zpsyn3ibroz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If it was gearbox oil you would smell it pal it's very distinctive in smell
Thanks given by:
I would say you have both.

Did you replace the drive shaft seals when you changed the gearbox?

Is the oil filter on tight enough and did you use a new copper washer when you did the last oil change?
Thanks given by:
(25-05-2014, 08:46 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: I would say you have both.

Did you replace the drive shaft seals when you changed the gearbox?

Is the oil filter on tight enough and did you use a new copper washer when you did the last oil change?

Drive shaft seals were fine according to my step dad and No i didnt change the copper washer last time. Im going to have a good look tomorrow so will check the oil filter. When I replaced the gearbox I went to drain the one I was taking out and no oil came out so that raises my suspicions of a gearbox leak.
Thanks given by:
It's always a good idea to change the seals when change a box off another car as the seals will already have wear then when using with other driveshafts they might not seal correctly.

After checking the lot I said earlier it might be worth trying to clean off all the oil off and try and trace where it's coming from.
Thanks given by:
(25-05-2014, 09:11 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: It's always a good idea to change the seals when change a box off another car as the seals will already have wear then when using with other driveshafts they might not seal correctly.

After checking the lot I said earlier it might be worth trying to clean off all the oil off and try and trace where it's coming from.

Are they hard to change? When can I get them from, ebay? I dont think i noticed the leak until I changed the oil filter you know, ive been under the car many times before I serviced it, but since its been serviced I havent touched underneath so the oil filter is something Im definately going to check, Thanks Deeturbo
Thanks given by:
Get you seals from euro car parts, GSF or the dealers.

There not difficult to change but it is important to get then in the right place.

The drivers side can be a pain to do though as it's just a bit more work.
Thanks given by:
(25-05-2014, 09:21 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Get you seals from euro car parts, GSF or the dealers.

There not difficult to change but it is important to get then in the right place.

The drivers side can be a pain to do though as it's just a bit more work.

Thanks Dee, ill update if I solve anything
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Enough of a leak to be a concerning boost leak? MY95 27 3,988 14-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Last Post: Midnightclub