f*ck you private parking companies!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
f*ck you private parking companies!
So we all drive a fair bit and as such, its pretty much inevitable that we may get private parking charges occasionally so i thought i would put together a little guide on telling these cowboys to stick it.

So firstly, the difference between a private parking charge and a council parking fine. Notice i didn't call the private one a fine? Thats because legally any private company can not issue a fine and if a private company call it a fine even once, you then have the right to automatically have the charged cancelled and if you want to, report them to the BPA (British parking association) for insinuating its a legally binding fine. Anyway, the difference. Any public street parking is almost guaranteed as council. Some multi stories and shopping centre car parks are as well. Most of the time, private charges arise from shopping estates, private housing estates and pretty much any private area such as office car parks. The simplest way to tell is when the NTK comes through (notice to keeper) which are the first document issued if ANPR was in use on the car park). If you get a thing stuck on your window from a prat walking around the car park, this is a NTD (Notice to driver) and then the second document you will get will be through the post which is your NTK. Check the company first. If its a council, DO NOT IGNORE IT! The only way out of it is to appeal which I'm not going to go into now. If its a company such as euro car parks or Parking Eye, its a private company.

Surely i just ignore it?
No!! Not any more. Since a change of The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (TPoFA), this means that the PPC (Private parking company) Can legally pursue the registered keeper of the car (the name on the log book). In 99% of our cases, this is us anyway however i was stuck with a different problem when i recently got a ticket in my work car. The registered keeper is the lease company who automatically refer the PPC to my company as being the driver at the time. This then means the PPC are legally entitled to chase my company for the bill which most companies don't want.
So since the change in TPoFA, what to do now? Appeal!

Appeal on what grounds?
Well, most of the time if we park at, for example a shopping complex and get a ticket, 99% of the time we are in the wrong but this is still no reason to pay up. With my situation, i was parked over the maximum allowed time by 15 minutes. and ECP wanted to charge me £90 for the privilege of this. Now, the BPA guidelines state that the fine can be no more than a fair representation of the estimated losses of the land owner. This is your biggest argument. You should state in your appeal that the speculative invoice they have kindly presented you does not represent the losses of the land owner. Type this out in a rather forceful manner to the PPC and DEMAND a POPLA code should they deny the appeal.

What is POPLA
Parking on Private Land Appeals was launched shortly after the change in TPOFA in order to give people like us a fair representation against PPCs who do not follow the strict guidelines set out by BPA.

My appeal to the PPC was denied. Now what?
Providing you demanded a POPLA code and they provided it, go to the POPLA website and raise a appeal with your code using your argument. Find any arguments as possible ( a quick google will bring up loads of things they have to adhere to. Signage regulations, how the letters are worded, their response to your appeal etc) and build your case. I can pretty much confirm your PCN will be canceled at this stage.

My POPLA appeal was denied. Now what?
If in the unlikely event your POPLA appeal is denied, you have several options but the best in my opinion is kick up a fuss. Take for example my situation where i was parked in a Wickes car park for too long. I went through appeals etc however due to the fact my lease company sat on the letters for a while, i was too late for a POPLA appeal or even a direct appeal to the PPC. So kick up a fuss to the store! On the day of my "offence", i was parked over the stipulated time but i was spending quite a considerable amount of money there. So, i went on www.ceoemail.com and found the emails address of the CEO of Wickes and emailed him stating my issue and that i would be forced to not use their stores again if they don't intervene. Half hour later, the invoice was cancelled Big Grin

What if it still hasn't been cancelled?
Well, you are unbelievably unlucky but now is the point to take some better help which can be found here:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/foru...order=desc

These guys really do know what they are doing and will get you out of it.
Your other option is to just start ignoring it. As you can see from the FOI requests attached, barely anyone has been taken to court by these cowboys and even then, these FOIs only show papers served. Not actual court hearings.
The only time when you should not ignore letters is when actual court papers are served to you and even then, phone your local sherifs office and check they are legitimate because it has been known for very convincing fakes (much like these PCNs they issue) to be sent by the PPC which are not legally binding. If court papers are served, seek help from the guys on that forum!

Tips
DO NOT ignore genuine court papers
DO ignore any debt collectors. They can't turn up on your door step and can't take your possessions. They are as powerless as the PPCs
DO look out for failings by the PPC such as incorrect/missing reg numbers and times, use of words such as fine (it isn't a fine! Its a speculative invoice!)
DO do your research when appealing. Its almost guaranteed that the PPC will deny the appeal on some bull shit grounds. Look at the BPA code of practice for help on what they can and can't do.
DO NOT ignore real council or police parking fines
DO be pushy in your emails and show your assertiveness. It does make a difference so don't be soft because they will walk all over you. Show you know what your on about with references to the BPA code of practice and TPOFA
DO always use email for contact or get proof of postage if sending letters. Always have proof of a reply sent
DO NOT acknowledge the "debt collectors". If you really are worried about them, send them a simple message saying you deny any charge and to refer it back to their client. They HAVE to leave you alone then.
DO threaten the PPCs with charges for your time in dealing with the matter

DO NOT WORRY! These cowboys rely on people being scared into believing they are fines by using big bold lettering and big boy words. They have no more legal standing than a charge i have written up on a piece of used toilet paper.

Can someone move this to guides. I put it in the wrong section Sad
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
A lot of really good information there! Ive only ever had pne fine/charge. My mum got the ticket and never saod how much parking we had. 20 minutes over we was and bloke had just noticed my car. :-(
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I Hope you didn't pay it! Unless it was council of course
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Luckly where I live theres no private parking or coucil parking anywhere. Theres one road in and out of my village! I dont like venturing in to town either to be fair but needs must sometime
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
How did you get on mate??
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Emailed the shop there stating my problem and that I would e forced to use other companies if the charge wasn't cancelled. 20 mins later, cancelled. Admittedly I did send an email to the CEO of Wickes lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Good to hear ThumbsUp
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
interestingly i have had 2 parking charges for being a few minutes over my allotted time in an empty car park!! I just ignored them, they sent about 3/4 letters demanding payment but i just binned them and have not heard a thing one was mid last year and one was start of this year, I think its jut a shock tactic to get you to pay as the letters are all in red etc.... just ignore the f*ckers!

Good guide and info mate
Thanks given by:
(31-05-2014, 07:28 AM)Mattinthehat Wrote: interestingly i have had 2 parking charges for being a few minutes over my allotted time in an empty car park!! I just ignored them, they sent about 3/4 letters demanding payment but i just binned them and have not heard a thing one was mid last year and one was start of this year, I think its jut a shock tactic to get you to pay as the letters are all in red etc.... just ignore the f*ckers!

Good guide and info mate

Thats completely the idea mate. These companies just pray on people who get scared into thinking they will be taken to court and loose their home. 9/10 times, you can just ignore them and nearly all of them are spineless enough not to take it to court because they know they will loose so just give up but with these new rules in place, there is a possibility they will take you to court and win albeit only a very very small one so its worth just appealing it.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Came home to not one, but two of these beauties today, details to follow.

Is there a template email to send to them?
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Firstly, what companies are they from?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
One from Smart Parking, one from Civil Enforcement Ltd
Thanks given by:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/foru....php?f=163

Main thing i can suggest is firstly search this forum for your particular companies chasing. Some of them you have to do something a bit different to get away from. Then, read the newbies thread at the top which is basically a guide to beating them!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Bah, this is far more complicated than expected!
Thanks given by:
Its not. Use the templates. Will almost guarantee a successful appeal
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Never mind, didn't even have to appeal, just rand the shops who's carparks they are and they cancelled the fines. That makes life easier! Did it all over the phone, didn't even have to prove I'd shopped there.
Thanks given by:
Had a parking ticket issued back in june i was unloading equipment for the hospital radio i work for it was a £40 charge but ignored it then about two weeks ago i received two letters off vinci car parks for two parking tickets, one issued at 11:50 and the other one i actually had on my windscreen which was issued at 11:51 anyway i just sent off a letter saying that there are a number of people who have use of my car and that i haven't received a parking notice just the two letter's through the post,then went on to say, I would like some verification before I seek reimbursement from them. Could you please provide photographic evidence with the car parked illegally, and with the ticket on the windscreen? I would obviously also need clarification on which breach you would like payment for, in this instance.
It would be unusual for another driver of the car to receive a parking ticket and not alert me as Registered Keeper, and as such I am conscious that this may be a clerical error and perhaps the registration was wrongly input. Any such evidence would remove any doubt surrounding this charge.
Please consider this an appeal in the first instance. Unfortunately as I had no knowledge of the Parking Charge Notice being placed on my windscreen, I was unable to appeal within the initial “discounted amount” window.
i will keep you all posted on the outcome.
Thanks given by:
Saw this today:

If you receive a parking ticket parked on double yellows from a council etc. if you send the whole ticket back to the council un opened stating in the letter parking ticket returned to sender as no contract . You will never hear anything back from it. Veil over it or not you can take the ticket officer to court for placing the ticket on your screen as it's classed as criminal damage as you've not given them the permission to do so. They just throw it out
Thanks given by:
Sounds like bollocks to me.
Thanks given by:
I refused to pay mine once and after weeks of arguing it the fine was dismissed
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2014, 05:38 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Saw this today:

If you receive a parking ticket parked on double yellows from a council etc. if you send the whole ticket back to the council un opened stating in the letter parking ticket returned to sender as no contract . You will never hear anything back from it. Veil over it or not you can take the ticket officer to court for placing the ticket on your screen as it's classed as criminal damage as you've not given them the permission to do so. They just throw it out

Utter rubbish mate. If its issued by a council or police, if you don't appeal you have to pay. Simple as. Private companies however are easier to deal with and you rarely have to pay

(19-10-2014, 01:56 PM)jayspug86 Wrote: I refused to pay mine once and after weeks of arguing it the fine was dismissed

Not a good idea any more. They CAN legally take you to court now if you don't pay however the chances are slim but its just not worth it for a CCJ.
Easiest way is to appeal. You will win if you follow some simple instructions
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(19-10-2014, 02:01 PM)Niall Wrote:
(11-09-2014, 05:38 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Saw this today:

Utter rubbish mate. If its issued by a council or police, if you don't appeal you have to pay. Simple as. Private companies however are easier to deal with and you rarely have to pay

(19-10-2014, 01:56 PM)jayspug86 Wrote: I refused to pay mine once and after weeks of arguing it the fine was dismissed

Not a good idea any more. They CAN legally take you to court now if you don't pay however the chances are slim but its just not worth it for a CCJ.
Easiest way is to appeal. You will win if you follow some simple instructions
il remember that in future mine was a few years ago now Wink
Thanks given by:
I just had one of these through, done my appeal via this page here.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/show...?t=4816822

Hopefully thats the end of that.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
for what it's worth...

I used to work for a private parking firm - PLEASE DONT HATE ME! - really isn't a glamorous job, trust me!

yes, do not ignore the invoice (it' not a fine, they aren't allowed to call it a fine and if they do, they haven't got a leg to stand on) however, you do not have to pay the invoice.

i worked for a company called MET parking, biggest pile of wank i ever worked for! i came across a handful of cars on more than one occasion where the owner of the vehicle had parked without permit more than 4 times and refused to pay, put the vehicle reg in on the little PDA machine thing we had and it flags up saying "constant abuser" or something like that, we weren't allowed to issue a PCN to that vehicle anymore. they can send you all kinds of threatening letters about courts and bailiffs but its always the same person sending the letter under a different name... FRAUD.

by law, ONLY the POLICE AND COUNCIL can issue a parking fine and you HAVE to pay it

unfortunately i don't know much else that happens in the office that can stop you from not having to pay, i was only on the front line issuing the ticket, it was bad, i certainly had my fair share of people attacking me, 8 weeks i was there before Euro Car Parts saved me lol but i will see if i can get anymore info as well to help out
Thanks given by:
I used to issue tickets for Edinburgh council I know iam a mean person and to this day still feel bad about some that I issued just remember it is never a criminal offence if issued by the council it's a civil matter and will be treated as such also a huge amount of tickets are cancelled anyway because councils are only allowed to make a certain amount from parking regulations but you have to appeal forbid to be cancelled also councils will normally take apicture of the car intact we had to take about six unless someone was in the car or the driver returned in that case we made a note stating that

Another thing to remember is that parking on the white zigzags at pelican crossings is not dealt with by the council but the police as this a criminal offence not a civil matter
Old enough to know better
Young enough to do it anyway

wishes he had started a rescue project thread
Thanks given by:
as we all have empty tax disc holders why not go to www.getoutofdeptfree.org look and read the section about parking tickets and print off the legal notice same size as a tax disc and put it in your window. It reads along the lines of this is a legal notice that says anyone attaching anything to this vehicle without prior written consent will have it removed if necessary by force and you be liable to a £5000 fine failure to notice or read this notice is no excuse. it works the same way that the signs in a carpark work when they say by parking here you agree to our terms and condition. 
Thanks given by:
I got a parking fine from Parking Eye in Morrisons car park, think the stay is either 2 hours or 2hr 30 I was there for 2hr 44. I was in admittedly in the library located in the Morrisons centre and did do a little bit of shopping afterwards in morrisons. Shall I ignore or reply?

Also I recently moved house, in the last 3 weeks so the letter went to my previous address where the car is still registered, my partners mums house.

Shall I ignore or reply? Baring in mind I have already shredded the letter?
Thanks given by:
What I don't understand is - if your parked on private land, whether its a supermarket car park, back of someones shop etc, if they give you a fine/clamp etc they're legally allowed to do that providing that there are clearly displayed signs, correct? So why would you try hustling them?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2015, 02:56 PM)306rhys Wrote: I got a parking fine from Parking Eye in Morrisons car park, think the stay is either 2 hours or 2hr 30 I was there for 2hr 44. I was in admittedly in the library located in the Morrisons centre and did do a little bit of shopping afterwards in morrisons. Shall I ignore or reply?

Also I recently moved house, in the last 3 weeks so the letter went to my previous address where the car is still registered, my partners mums house.

Shall I ignore or reply? Baring in mind I have already shredded the letter?

Do not ignore it. Parking eye are the worst out of the bunch for taking people to court (although they very rarely win). Appeal to them and they will deny it then appeal to POPLA. You will win providing you follow the common guides out there.

(18-06-2015, 03:50 PM)silverzx Wrote: What I don't understand is - if your parked on private land, whether its a supermarket car park, back of someones shop etc, if they give you a fine/clamp etc they're legally allowed to do that providing that there are clearly displayed signs, correct? So why would you try hustling them?

The point is is that the charges they make up are not a true representation of any losses which they are only legally allowed to charge you for. Also, they are not legally allowed to clamp or immobilise your car at all. The only people who can do that are DVLA or DVLA agents. Also, they never correctly display signs. There is such strict rules they have to follow which they just don't!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I got one on my motorbike saying i wasnt parked within a bay ignored it got a few letters but stopped now.

Parked behind argos before and longer whilst being inside collecting but on one occassion we got a charge letter saying we over stayed the apparently only 15 mins stay which as mentioned i know this is not true from previous visits so again ignored and no longer hear from them.
Thanks given by: